Introducing the SPY 007

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibcj

Enlightened
Congrats Dave on putting together a beauty of a light. The machining is certainly impressive. :thumbsup:

I wish I could say count me in for one, but I'm pretty sure it will be a little too rich for my blood. The 005 aluminum bodies with titanium head/knob were $550 & damascus were $850. For a full titanium body, I'd be surprised to see these priced much below the $1k mark.

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: Brilliant design & engineering there Dave.
When you have the Spy 007 Ti for sale I would love to purchase one from you.
I look forward to all the other details to follow.
Well done, Another Truly desirable creation. :wave:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

A few Q's if I may...............

What size trit slots will be cut in the 007? There seems to be bit of a trit famine on the 1.5mmx5mm but hopefully B@rt will have sourced some by the release date.

Will these be offered in CREE and Seoul or have you developed a preference?

Have you thought of adding a small tool to the lanyard for depressing the battery cap pin? - that would be neat addition, especially in Ti!

Man - so excited about this one. You is genius!

Hodsta

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

A few Q's if I may...............

What size trit slots will be cut in the 007? There seems to be bit of a trit famine on the 1.5mmx5mm but hopefully B@rt will have sourced some by the release date.

Will these be offered in CREE and Seoul or have you developed a preference?

Have you thought of adding a small tool to the lanyard for depressing the battery cap pin? - that would be neat addition, especially in Ti!

Man - so excited about this one. You is genius!

Hodsta

There is not any room for making the trit slots bigger. I too hope B@rt can get more. I put trit in my SPYs too! :)

IMO, overall, the Cree and Seoul are equally great emitters each with their strong points. The Seoul reflector fits my original form better and so the first batch will be Seoul. I have not ruled out making a new head design for the Cree and the McR-16. I make no promises though because that would be a big investment in time. I am also considering working on a Rebel design in the near future.

The pin tool on the lanyard is a good idea. Some CPFers have put little things on there to push the pin like a small end from a plastic tie. I will give it some more thought, plastic is best because it can't scratch the light. I want it to be just the right size and go mostly unnoticed. However having said that a small plastic skull with a pointy chin would look cool too. :whistle:

Cheers
Dave

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Seoul in the first instance is good news, for me at least, as this is my preffered emitter in the Spy.

The pointy chinned skull is a wicked idea or a crow, with a suitably sized beak?

Cheers
Hodsta

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This is a smoking hot light !!! :thumbsup:
I am in awe.

One question about this rail ... is this a weapon mounting option or in any way compatible with weapon mouonting equipment? I am asking because such is forbidden in Germany under severe penalty.

bernie

AzGB

Enlightened
I am in awe.

One question about this rail ... is this a weapon mounting option or in any way compatible with weapon mouonting equipment? I am asking because such is forbidden in Germany under severe penalty.

bernie

I'm going to go out on a limb here, as I've never seen this Spy 007 prototype, but I have seen probably miles of 1913 Picatinny rail. It appears that the idea, purpose, and possibly proportions of the military standard rail system are being used here. Definitely not the size though, I'm just going to guess that the rail on this light is probably about 40% or less the size of the actual military standard rail.

Compatibility with actual weapon mountable parts isn't something I'd be too concerned with.

:twothumbs

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I had a very negative experience with those laws here, so I am concerned.
Concerned that I can't buy this light :D :D

I am attracted.

bernie

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in awe.

bernie

AzGB is correct, this mount is NOT COMPATIBLE with any weapon mounting system. The 007 CAN NOT be mounted on any weapon of any kind. There is no issue with any weapon laws. Neither the mount nor the light itself are designed to withstand the G-forces involved in such a union.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

jcompton

Enlightened
AzGB is correct, this mount is NOT COMPATIBLE with any weapon mounting system. The 007 CAN NOT be mounted on any weapon of any kind. There is no issue with any weapon laws.

Cheers
Dave

:mecry:and I was hoping to mount this one on my Sig... to...see where I'm walking...:(

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 007 rail concept is intended to hold the light to various fixtures and to hold accessories to the light. It is designed to blend into the bottom of the 007's lower radius so therefor it has a unique shape.

At this point I have only started compiling a list of uses for the attachment system. I will elaborate on the ones I have in the next few days. However, CPFers will probably come up with many more.

Three examples of practical uses are a bicycle handle-bar mount, a pocket clip and a multi-tool accessory. The first two being a fixture to hold the light and the third is an item adding functionality to the light.

The more I tossed this idea around, the more it snowballed into areas I did not initially consider.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stunning work Dave.
The long wait for the 007 will be well worth it.
I look forward to scoring one!!

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
Looks good, more industrial than the 005, beauty! The rail is fantastic!

Hope you accidentally run some aluminum through that program.
icon10.gif

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good, more industrial than the 005, beauty! The rail is fantastic!

Hope you accidentally run some aluminum through that program.
icon10.gif

The 007 as you see it here can not be made in aluminum. It would require redesigning the light and the part program. I do not have plans at this time to make the 007 in any metal other than 6Al-4V titanium.

I do plan to make more aluminum SPYs when I can secure the time on my partners machine (my machines are currently all tied up with the 007). However, this will not be any time soon due to his and my schedules. Whether the next aluminum SPY is a 005 or a 009+ . . . only time will tell.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I think there should be a 1/4-20 tripod mount for the rail. That feature of the original McLux was probably one of the factors that brought out my rampaging flashaholism.

Status
Not open for further replies.