iOS 16-iPhone 14

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did not opt for the iPhone 14 at this point but was an early adopter to the iOS 16 operating system and so far no glitches.

It was said there's a camera glitch in the 14, but not the "famous" one with shakey photos from the stabilizer hitting turbo. Nope, take a photo of say a hand. At preview the photo had shifted right like you mis-aimed or something. I don't know if iOS 16.0.2 fixes that or not.

I have a 12 max or whatever it's called and it's still a great device for what I do. It can do RAW photos that are only 25mb instead of 125 for the 14. The lenses and sensors of cellular phones does not warrant 58mp (RAW) photos no matter how smart interpolation and algarithms they can come up with. It's like somebody with 20/10 eyeballs looking through 99 cent sunglass lenses. Well kinda, but my point is the physical limitations cannot be made up for through software.

Now, the Mrs has an 11 pro so it's probably a decent improvement to go "14 pro", Anyone with a 13 it seems, should probably wait for more upgrades than the 14 offers because unless you get pro or max they are very very similar.

My 12 has 5g capability but I keep that turned off. I went with iOS 16 if for no other reason than to have the 'percent remaining' back in the battery bar. Yet there are a bazillion changes I just don't know about yet. I also like the "unsend" text but that only works on devices with 16.

Thoughts?

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a 13 Pro earlier this year and it's a great device. For my purposes, the 14 Pro doesn't add anything I need, and no IOS 16.0 issues so far...

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
I'm torn, I have an 11. Wife upgrade from the SE2 to the 14 Pro, she loves it.

Why do you turn off the 5G signal? 3G is gone around me, so I have pitiful service. 5G for my wife's phone has already greatly improved.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to get 14 pro for my wife on her birthday, but they are not available at least till oct 19th, anywhere in new york city. and around. 14 is available, but no pros yet.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
5g is spotty in my general area Mr Ed. By turning off the 5g on my phone means it's not hunting for 5g service when there is none (yet).
I used 3g as long as I could but the 12 I have did not do 3g. The 3g was faster in my area because everybody was using 4g. So not many "straws were drinking from the 3g glass" anymore.

Everything I've read about the 14 and 14 pro/max has been mixed reviews. Many say if you have 11 and up they're not all that much better. My wife bought the 11 pro for the camera. The 14 pro has stuff the 11 pro does not so she is going to upgrade cameras. I had a 7 (that was paid for) and loved it but Verizon offered me $800 cash to trade it in for a 12 so I bought a 12pro max with 256gb memory for like $400.

Unless something goes wrong with the 12 I'll stick with that for a while longer. But I do like the iOS 16 so far. I could get rid of bloat apps with 16 that could only be turned off before. Not since I had a rooted android (with eclair) could I do that.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I went and plunked down some $ for the 14 pro max. The camera is pretty good. My 12 pro max had a decent camera, probably the best one I'd ever had in a celphone. Yet the 14 pro max camera really gets it done in low light and at a distance. Still not as good as a digital SLR with stupendous glass lenses.

A photo with the 12 pro max with low light without the low light setting on.
IMG_9159.jpeg

At 1/15th second at f/1.6

Now the 14 pro max in low light really brings out details in my all black dog without the low light shutter speed.
IMG_9433.jpeg

That's 1/15th second at f/1.78 SLR equivilent of 78mm
It's pretty close to what I see right now. Colors are a bit more lively like the brown in the doggy bed. In real life it's an off-white and the red box is not quite as bright red. The fan is spot on though.

The newer iPhones let you adjust EV in 1/3 values too. I think the 12 did but I never used it.

Now at a distance the larger sensor (capable of 48mp photos) set for 12mp is amazing for a celphone camera.
IMG_9402.jpeg

1/142nd sec shutter, f/2.8 SLR equivilent of 440 mm
The squirrel was about 50 feet away so I zoomed in to 15x.

Yeah, it's got a faster processor and a ton of features I'll never use. But phone calls sound great and it takes nice pictures.

I did a side by side study of the 12 pro max vs a bunch of 14's reading what the differences were after they'd been out for a while and all the buzz had settled down. It seemed like the 14 pro max got better reception in lousy signals, the speakers are louder if you use speaker phone or listen to music, the screen is better, and that camera sensor being able to optical zoom 0.5/1.0/2.0/3.0, RAW photos at 48mp or super crops using the 12mp setting. Then the phone service carrier all but paid for it with the trade in value of my 12...... yup, the choice was easy.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Wife 13pro for her BDay , I was looking for 14pro but as i said above they were not available then, turns out i did not even have to look for 14pro, had i known it uses no physical sim, e sim only. A big no no for us, she uses her phone when we go overseas, and on vacations, she buys local sim cards, with e sims this would be problematic. me, otoh, i do not even take my phone on vacations, i do not want to touch it, or even hear it ring.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and I added these ultra clear glass lens covers by Pelican.
The lenses on my work phone keep getting scratched so I figure, why not go that extra mile.
Like you, after spending so much for quality optics I want to keep them protected. I went this route and have a couple similar cases.

IMG_3262.jpg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried those lens covers, they did not stay there a day before i removed them and threw away, Reason 1 is it would get prints or smudges every time i handle the phone, factory lens has either coating, or polished that way, they stay clear and smudge free during normal use. Reason 2, sometimes it would create glare reflection and ruin the picture. Reason 3 not once in my life i broke camera lens,, nor did anyone i know, i had broken screen, and back cover, and so did my wife, but neither one of us ever had a broken camera lens.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Like you, after spending so much for quality optics I want to keep them protected. I went this route and have a couple similar cases.

View attachment 45368
I like the crystal clear kind too. I set up the phone where when an alert, call or text comes in the camera flash flashes. The clear case lights up when that happens.

Opted for the silver model with a Zagg case, glass screen saver and Pelican lens covers. I liked the soft plastic Zagg screen covers because its matte finish greatly reduced reflections but I don't see those anywhere these days.
IMG_1733.jpeg

IMG_1734.jpeg

Pearl white back with stainless looking sides really appealed to me.

Upgrading your iPhone? Read this first

Pieter ArntzSeptember 14, 2023
iPhone 15

Apple's Wonderlust event on Tuesday saw the launch of the company's top-of-the-line iPhone 15 Pro Max with a titanium chassis and an improved telephoto camera, as well as other iPhone 15 models and new Apple Watches.

Also this week, Apple was reportedly banned from selling the iPhone 12 in France because the device's Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) is above the legal limit. France's National Frequency Agency (ANFR) stated the model emits more than the permitted electromagnetic waves, and the company must stop selling the device, starting immediately.

All this news may have caused people to entertain the thought of trading in their old devices for a new iPhone. If you are one of them, we have a few tips for you.

What to do while you still have the old one:

1. Transfer your data

You can use Quick Start to transfer information from your old device to your new device. But if you don't have the new device yet, you can use iCloud to store your data.

• Go to Settings > General.
  • Scroll down and tap Transfer or Reset [Device].
  • Under Prepare for New [Device], tap Get Started.
  • If you see iCloud Backup is Turned Off, tap Turn On Backup to Transfer.
  • If you don't have enough iCloud storage, you'll see a message that says you're eligible to get free extra iCloud storage. Tap Continue.
  • Wait for the backup to complete. You have 21 days to restore your temporary backup to your new iPhone or iPad before your temporary iCloud storage expires and your backup is permanently deleted. Do not erase your current iPhone or iPad until you restore your temporary backup to your new device.
Once you have your new iPhone:

• Turn on your new iPhone and follow the onscreen steps to begin setup.
  • On the Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
  • Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID and password.
  • Choose your most recent iCloud backup.
  • Wait for the restore to complete.

2. Unpair your linked devices

Make sure you unpair devices like Apple Watch and headphones.

3. Transfer your MFA apps

A step which is easily forgotten but very very important is making sure you transfer your account verification apps, like Okta, Google Authenticator, Microsoft 2FA, Authy, etc.) These instructions can differ per app and are almost never transferred to your new device without requiring additional actions.

4. Sign out of important apps

Sign out of iCloud and the App Store on your old device.

As Thomas Reed, Director of Core Technology at Malwarebytes and renowned Apple security expert puts it:

"I recommend users take a few minutes to disconnect from services like iCloud/Apple ID and transfer 2FA. It is much easier to remove a device from your account while you still have it in your possession."
Should you forget to do this before wiping or giving away your device, that is no reason for panic. You can use the "Find My" app to remotely erase the device and then remove it from your account.

5. Remove the phone as a trusted device

Thomas Reed adds:

"Once you've added your new phone (and maybe once you've added another backup option such as personal email or home phone), make sure to remove your old phone as a trusted device. Go to Settings and click on your name. If you click on each device listed, there is a small disclaimer at the bottom of the screen that says "This device is trusted and can receive Apple ID verification code." Simply tap Remove from Account for your old item."

6. Wipe the old phone

When you're ready to finally say goodbye to your old iPhone, go to Settings and tap General > Transfer or Reset [device] > Erase All Content and Settings. When asked for your device passcode or Restrictions passcode, enter it. Then tap Erase [device]. If you're doing an in-store trade-in at Apple, they will help you with this.

If you're not trading in but are ready to get rid of your phone, it's worth reading our guide on how to dispose of your old devices safely.

7. Protect your new iPhone

Malwarebytes for iOS helps protect you from scams: It flags and/or blocks robocalls, and detects fake texts, phishy links, malicious sites, and ad trackers. It also now includes a full-featured VPN to help keep your connections private, no matter where you are. Try downloading Malwarebytes for iOS today.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My work phone just auto updated to iOS 17. No biggy except when I went to share some stuff through Outlook I kept getting "open Outlook" using photos, or documents. Nothing would send through my Outlook account. Well it all worked fine up to the upgrade.....

So, I went to a microsoft help site figuring usually that's a waste of time but found an actual fix from back at iOS 13.x.x or something. The fix was to click on outlook, then where you'd choose sent, trash etc. Along the side of the screen is a settings icon. Open that, scroll down to see screen appearance. Light or Dark. Swap to the one you aren't using, in my case from light to dark. Viola!!!

Yes, that fixed the issue. I went back to light and everything still worked. An hour later apple sent another update 17.0.1 for something dealing with the iPhone 15.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
My work phone just auto updated to iOS 17. No biggy except when I went to share some stuff through Outlook I kept getting "open Outlook" using photos, or documents. Nothing would send through my Outlook account. Well it all worked fine up to the upgrade.....

So, I went to a microsoft help site figuring usually that's a waste of time but found an actual fix from back at iOS 13.x.x or something. The fix was to click on outlook, then where you'd choose sent, trash etc. Along the side of the screen is a settings icon. Open that, scroll down to see screen appearance. Light or Dark. Swap to the one you aren't using, in my case from light to dark. Viola!!!

Yes, that fixed the issue. I went back to light and everything still worked. An hour later apple sent another update 17.0.1 for something dealing with the iPhone 15.
I believe 17.0.1 was an emergency fix for some zero-day security issues.