iPhone - anyone interested?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

gorn

Enlightened
The thing I found most interesting is that the kid is saying that a software unlock is in the works. The way he did it required some jumpers to be wired to the chips. When the software only version hits the net I think a lot of people (including me) will get it. I don't intend to use it but I want a copy of it.

The problem as I understand it with unlocking it for other providers is that the phone is not compatible with the other data services so you will loose functionality.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually 2 separate hacks on the same day. The hardware one is fascinating as he's actually forcing the chip in the phone to load a new program, but there is no way I'd be willing to tyr to do that soldering on the board. These are not DIY friendly through hole easy to solder kits ;)

The engadget link I posted is to a software only hack I believe.

You do not loose data capability if you move it to a service that supports the same kind of network as AT&T's edge. If you move it to sprint or something then yes you loose non-wifi data, but if you move to T-Mobile then it continues to work as long as it's turned on with your plan. The things you do loose seem to be youtube (big deal) and visual voice mail. So you have to call your voice mail to check it rather than looking at the list like you can on AT&T's network. The last one makes sense since that required changes and custom work from AT&T on the network side to support. And evidently there is another patch available to re-enable the youtube viewer. Whats interesting is that they have turned on code already in the phone to support even separate multiple carriers at the same time. It looks to me like you can pick from a list in settings once this is done. We'd have seen all this in another 22 months when Apple's exclusive contract with AT&T is over, but it's interesting to get a look at it a bit early ;)

Phredd

Enlightened
When the software only version hits the net I think a lot of people (including me) will get it.

I wonder how many people would unlock their phones. I also wonder if Apple would benefit from selling more iPhones or if would they lose profits from the loss of shared revenue they're getting from AT&T.

You do not loose data capability if you move it to a service that supports the same kind of network as AT&T's edge.

The phone won't work at all, neither voice nor data, with non-GSM services. In the US, your only other choice is T-Mobile. People have activated their iPhones without cell phone service to get the WiFi only. With other GSM services, you only lose the Visual Voice Mail.

Phredd

paulr

Flashaholic
Sorry if someone already posted this here, I haven't read the whole thread. But the below is the funniest and most true iphone review I've ever seen (beware, contains impolite language and is not exactly work safe):

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

The iphone just seems insane to me. A phone where you can't change the battery yourself? Give me a break.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Sorry if someone already posted this here, I haven't read the whole thread. But the below is the funniest and most true iphone review I've ever seen (beware, contains impolite language and is not exactly work safe):

The iphone just seems insane to me. A phone where you can't change the battery yourself? Give me a break.

The fixed battery issue is actually the deal breaker for me getting one, now or ever if they keep that design...but again this is a 1st generation foray for Apple into a new field, and any of the current cell phone companies would kill for an initial model rollout sales result like Apple has had.

To ignore their iPod accomplishment, and believe they won't make similar, significant advances in the iPhone is what seems insane to me. I see their multi-touch point, highly durable screen as revolutionary. I consider this version as a prototype, and if they fix the obvious issues in the next generation, it will catapault them forward even more.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
my iPhone rarely runs down. The 1.0.1 software fixed my problem with the car audio/charger adaptor, so now I plug it into the thing in the car to listen to podcasts while I'm driving, so that tops up the phone whenever I drive in or home. When I'm at my desk, at least once a day I plug it into the computer to sync my bookmarks, contacts and get any new music or podcasts into it, and if I leave it plugged in there more than a few minutes it tops up the battery there. And on my bedside table I have the charger it came with plugged in and plug it in when I go to bed. The only times it's run down was when I was testing to see how long the battery would last. Do other people really just not plug their phones into anything ever? I didn't when I was just using a phone, but since this is an iPod too I have to plug it into the computer constantly to get new content to listen to anyway.

What part of the more difficult to replace battery bothers you most? Are you afraid that you'll run out of power half way through the day? Or are you afraid that you'll forget to plug it in for a few days and it will run down? I have a couple of battery packs for the iPod which work just fine with the iPhone too. I have one in the glove compartment of the car and another in my bug out bag so that I can charge it from any old 1.5v to 9v battery source I can find in the case of an emergency. I do know some people that use a phone so much during the day that they actually change batteries over lunch. But they are not numerous enough to warrant a change in form factor design.

Apple has had a ton of success with the iPods non-user removable back. I dont expect them to change the form factor of the iPhone either. In a couple years I'll spend an hour with my iPhone and solder in a new battery. The 3rd party kits are already available. I expect around the same time a bunch of my friends will start asking me to do theirs as well, like they now do for their iPods ;) If I only have to change a battery once every 2 years or so then I dont mind it being a little more difficult. I'd gladly waste an hour in 2 years so as not to have a flimsy case that bends more easily to break the lovely screen. The vast majority of cellphone batteries are never changed at all. They are snapped in at the store and then end up in the trash without having ever been changed at all. Regardless of the price of the phone they are in. So why take something as strong as the iPhone case and make it easier to break in my pocket?

I never got upset at the iPods monolithic case, and I can't get upset at the iPhones either. If you ever change the battery it will be once in 4 years. I think you can afford the extra time once in 4 years if they phone actually lasts you that long without falling apart.

paulr

Flashaholic
Well, I refused to buy an ipod because of its non-removable and nonstandard battery. Instead I've bought several music players that run on AA and AAA cells. I've been looking all over for a cellular phone that runs on AA/AAA cells instead of proprietary ones and I may have finally found one (an old Motorola model that shows up on ebay). I've had to replace cellular phone batteries once a year or so and it's a huge PITA to have to find the right battery online at a reasonable price and then deal with the hassle of flaky online vendors. The alternative is pay $30+ at a phone store for a battery that should cost about $3. Yeah the rigid case probably is needed to protect that huge glass screen, but why would I want to watch movies on a phone anyway? What I really want is a phone built like an old fashioned Motorola belt pager. Those things were indestructable, built like tanks, and they ran on one AA cell. Yeah they had a one-line LCD display that couldn't show movies, but so what? If I wanted to watch movies, I'd buy a TV set, not a telephone.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

That was fun!:poke:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
What part of the more difficult to replace battery bothers you most? .... I do know some people that use a phone so much during the day that they actually change batteries over lunch. But they are not numerous enough to warrant a change in form factor design.

Apple has had a ton of success with the iPods non-user removable back.

James, my biggest concern is not being able to "hot swap" out the battery for more run time. I always take 1 or 2 extra batteries EVERY day with my cell phones because I use them that much. If I can find a decent qualty higher mAh battery pack to use, I get several of them. I also use up the charge cycles a lot faster than most people, killing the batteries.

Cell phones are a "mission critical" item for serious users, vs. the iPod's recreational purpose. As such, I cannot be held hostage to a fixed built in battery. It's not that I mind using an after market kit to solder in a new battery, it's that I NEED to swap them out during the day. Many days I am not anywhere that I can screw around with recharging a phone...especially on field trips with numerous meetings. Apple's fixed battery strategy is not taking the business user with high call volume into account.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Phone Enabled iPod is a nice device as a iPod Gen 7 but lacks some of the primary fone features.

The Good: (the great in fact)great features are in italic
Can insert AT&T Sim in the iPod to make basic Phone Calls, Basic SMS and browse internet over edge / wi-fi
Has 4/8 GB
Has wi-fi
Has Good Screen Resolution (not the best dpi though, check out Nokia6300 or Eten's GloFish X500)
Has Intuitive Touch Screen with Multi Flow and Multi Touch with Gestures
Has POP3 Email Client (iMap??)
Has Good Browser
Has Proximity, Acceleration and Light Sensors

The Ugly: (would be nice to have these)
No Voice Dial
No Voice Recording
No Custom Ring Tones
No Wall Paper Changes
No Profiles
No MMS
No Bluetooth (A2DP) Proflie
No Native TPA's (Third Party Applications)
No GPS (Sirf Star III Chipset)
No User Replaceable Battery
No Copy Paste
No Way to Select All / Mark All
No Native Flash Support (U-Tube is as a special application)
Carrier Lock (in Some of Europe / Most of Asia, people would laugh if they see such a thing like service provider bounding / lock)

There are other Ugly things.. but currently this is what i could remember / recollect. I know Apple FanBoys would find alternate ways to do the "No's" but the thing is there is no simple way to do the no's

I am not a Apple Basher nor a FanBoy ... I do have an Apple PowerBook and it does the things at it's best.. one of the well designed products...

I feel that the above drawbacks could simply be overcome through software and that Apple Phone enabled iPod is a great device in terms of hardware.... has one of the fastest CPU on board. if they enable third party software... imagine games would be one of the pleasure to play especially considering the on board sensors and multi touch screen.

Finally, I wish it had a Mat Finish Glass screen as opposed to Shiny Glass....

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
James, my biggest concern is not being able to "hot swap" out the battery for more run time. ... It's not that I mind using an after market kit to solder in a new battery, it's that I NEED to swap them out during the day. Many days I am not anywhere that I can screw around with recharging a phone...especially on field trips with numerous meetings. Apple's fixed battery strategy is not taking the business user with high call volume into account.
Lux is exactly right, and I think it applies to all users, not just high volume business users. I rely on a spare pack because I'm just an occasional cell user and I don't always get around to recharging the pack that's on the phone. And whenever I go to an airport, there are ALWAYS poor shleps gathered around AC outlets, trying to recharge their phones, because they haven't had access to AC power in a while. I even see vending machines where you insert your phone battery and pay a couple bucks to get it recharged. It is just insane that they don't make AA/AAA powered phones any more. I completely despise proprietary batteries, even the removable kind, because it's such a hassle and expense to buy them and carry special chargers for them. When the battery is proprietary AND non-removable, well that's just double madness.

Phredd

Enlightened
The Phone Enabled iPod is a nice device as a iPod Gen 7 but lacks some of the primary fone features.

I highly recommend you get your hands on an iPhone and try it out for awhile. If you do, I'm sure that some of those in your 'Good' column will move up to the 'Great' column. And some of those in your 'Ugly' column will move to the 'Would Be Nice' column.

The good browser is actually awesome. There is not even a close second. The navigation, scrolling, zooming and multiple pages is drool-worthy. For many people it's enough to justify the iPhone. On the other end, is changeable wallpaper really that important to you? Besides, you can change the wallpaper, buttons and ringtones with 3rd party applications.

Phredd

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is not even a close second.
have you tried operamini 4 beta on Series 40 or Series 60 Phones :)

Yes, The Good are in deed Great features (not many phones have some of the features) and the Ugly is indeed would be nice to have (coz i am sure they can easily be implemented with iPhone update 1.5.1 :D).... just expressed in kinda of 'sour grapes' taste coz i cannot use it yet :p as they are network latched... I wish I was in US

Last edited:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
heh, of course you can change the wallpaper. That doesn't require a hack, I have my daughters smiling face greet me whenever I wake up the phone.

No GPS is a bummer, but then I dont fully trust the phone company in using that data that they can get about where I"m standing anyway...

Like I said, I do know people that change their battery over lunch because they use the phone so much. Those people may not be well served by the iPhone but you'll have to make your own decision about that. It's not cut and dried. Turn off bluetooth and regular email checking over the network and the battery lasts quite a bit longer. Check the stats. And for $20 you can get one of those "turbo" chargers that takes a single AA battery, regular or NiMH, and can top off your battery. Not quite the same as actually it inside the phone, but I have one and I've used it several times when I've been away from the car for a long time. For the same price you can get one that takes 9v batteries, regular or rechargeable. The same big LiIon backpack kits for the ipod also work for the iPhone and could give you more than enough talk time. There are solutions, they are slightly more of a pain than just changing the battery, I'll grant you. But I haven't yet seen that this is really going to be a deal breaker for the vast majority of business users.

My biggest complaint is really the lack of a 3rd party API for application development. The vague frightening issues of security and whatnot just aren't real when people are doing it anyway.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
James,

I am cent percent sure that they will be offering the 3rd Party API or open up for core Unix Development (Similar to Mac OS X) after all, they both are Unix Based...

We just have to wait for a couple of months.... GPS is also some thing they will surely consider in V 2.0 of Hardware Upgrade along with the high resolution display, given the proven track record of Apple... its not that far... who knows such prototypes are already existing.....

Just if we look at the iPod... from the first Gen (5GB Model) to the latest 80 GB Gen 6 iPod and of course the nano's Apple has done the great job.

Oh... just the other day I had a chance to watch Video of Steve Jobs at Stanford Commencement Speech 2005 It's very Inspiring.

gorn

Enlightened
I've had custom ring tones on my iPhone since about the second day I bought it. There are a bunch of programs out there that can create them and load them on the phone. Also, you can now install different programs onto the iPhone. It doesn't take the modder community long to do what Apple should have done in the first place.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
All of these pro's and con's are typical of a 1st generation product, and while I don't want to be necessarily tied to AT&T (I know about the recent hack unlock), having my own replaceable spare batteries REALLY is as critical for people who need their phones as a "mission critical" use as I said.

I have discussed it with about 5 iPhone owners I do business with, and they consider this a nightmare issue that has caused them significant down time...to the point that all of them wish they had waited for next version that has hot swappable batteries. Again, this is not an iPod, and you cannot use that model for a cell phone.

Lacking this one feature makes this a consumer/teenager phone/novelty, similar to the iPod. Tacking on after market, extra booster batteries is a stop-gap solution, but it is not tenable for the active business user, especially when you consider the ergonomics, price of this phone, and alternatives.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux is exactly right, and I think it applies to all users, not just high volume business users. I rely on a spare pack because I'm just an occasional cell user and I don't always get around to recharging the pack that's on the phone. And whenever I go to an airport, there are ALWAYS poor shleps gathered around AC outlets, trying to recharge their phones, because they haven't had access to AC power in a while. I even see vending machines where you insert your phone battery and pay a couple bucks to get it recharged. It is just insane that they don't make AA/AAA powered phones any more. I completely despise proprietary batteries, even the removable kind, because it's such a hassle and expense to buy them and carry special chargers for them. When the battery is proprietary AND non-removable, well that's just double madness.

Off topic but it appears that some one is listening to CPF Posts and has come up with a Phone that runs on AAA! no it does not have a camera yet, but plans look promising :D

Last edited: