Is 70 mW enough??

teslacoiler1

Newly Enlightened
Is 70 mW enough to light matches, pop balloons, and cut black tape? I am considering getting a starphaser 70 mW from here. I believe this is Wicked Lasers operating under a different name because when I click the live help button on the site it says "connecting to Wicked Lasers" I want to order from the Starphaser site because I will save $40.00 If I get the 70 mW Starphaser instead of the 75mW Phoenix from the Wicked site. $40.00 for an extra 5 mW isn't that good of a deal in my opinion.

Ksyrium

Newly Enlightened
I'm not too sure but I personally think that 70mW is more than enough to cut through tapes and probably burst balooons.

I've seen a video of a 150mw which took quite awhile to ignite a match, around 10 seconds or so. So at more than half less powerful, I guess you may not.

just my 2 cents

deezdrama05

Enlightened
well ive owned the 90mw wicked extreme mx,and have a 100mw leadlight(can read about it in the baddest leadlight ever thread on here)

anyway- with both of these i can light matches but it takes a few seconds and i have to first paint the match heads black with a marker

as for balloons- red pop better then any other color but may take a few seconds and a steady hand within a couple foot range

electrical tape - seems to burn and smoke very easily but i have not tried actually cutting a piece off.

hope that info helps a bit- if you really want power i would save up for a handheld unit and not a pointer type unit

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
I have an 80mw unit. I haven't tried popping ballons yet, but electrical tape smokes really fast, and it's capable of punching holes too. As for cutting a piece, it'll take a LONG time and a steady hand. It may take more time than a typical duty cycle, so you may need to let it rest several times before it finishes cutting the strip. In my oppinion, it can be done, but you need patience.

deezdrama05

Enlightened
yeah- no doubt it can be done- i just didnt want the guy thinking it would just slice right throught it like a lightsaber but yeah with a steady hand and a minute or three (hehe) it can be done

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
deezdrama05 said:
yeah- no doubt it can be done- i just didnt want the guy thinking it would just slice right throught it like a lightsaber but yeah with a steady hand and a minute or three (hehe) it can be done

hey, don't get me wrong, I was merely trying to enforce your point hehe

i too thought he had the impression that cutting tape would be like a hot knife in butter. Well, that only happens in the movies :sssh:

nero_design

Enlightened
You can certainly do some of these things with a true <70mW.
I feel that the results are a little more obvious when you get closer to a <100mW output. The entry level for visible burning seems to be around the <50mW range with some people using 45mW lasers being able to etch trash bags etc.

'Lighting matches' is by no means as easy and straightforward as is may sound... the results are haphazard at best. Even with a 100mW laser.

The colour of the match, angle of beam, distance from aperture, steadiness of hand... all come into the equation.

// Yes, that seems to be Wicked Lasers. I've bought a few lasers from them. VERY Fast delivery and efficient after-sales service in the event of any problems.

Last edited:

Athoul

Enlightened
The Phoenix is gauranteed to be at least 75mW and on the label it will say <80mW. I have no idea about the 70mW starphaser's gaurantee as to output, though both sites seem to be affiliated.

I have a few Wicked lasers, one is a Phoenix and although it's not an easy task, I can light matches with it from about 6 inches or so. It can slice electrical tape, but you need to be a bit patient as it's not a two second ordeal...but it does cut it. I would say it takes around 30 seconds or so, maybe a bit more. Poping balloons is quite easy as they are much thinner then electrical tape, though if the balloon is overly transparent you might need to make a black dot. Personally I would go for the Phoenix as 10mW less is starting to get in the iffy range as to lighting matches etc. if that's one of the things you want to be able to do.

cy

Flashaholic
at these levels of power, there's real danger to your precious eyes.

if it can burn thru tape, it can do the same to your eyes. that's why 25 milliwatts is plenty for me. plenty bright enough to be visible, but not enough power to burn thru tape, balloons etc.

PeterW

Enlightened
......25mW enough. The reason that the 'safe limit' is set at 5mW is that greater than that power there is a risk of eye damage. By all means go for as much power as you want, just beware that you could easily damage your eyes and those of other people. You are responsible for its use and have to bear the consequences.

I once worked with a 10W green laser, you had to be very careful and excercise extreme caution. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable using a laser >10mW or so without safeguards.

Regards

PEterW

KBlaserman

Newly Enlightened
Using a laser to pop balloons and cut tape in my opinion is very immature and a miss use of a laser. Someone who wants a laser for this use in my opinion has no regard for safety and proper use of a laser.

Rhizomorph

Newly Enlightened
I have a general question about eye saftey at this power - should one be concerned about looking at the DOT (say, on a white wall across the room) from a 40,50,60,70mW laser pointer without goggles? Does indirect exposure pose a threat?

KBlaserman

Newly Enlightened
Yes indirect exposure poses a threat; do you want multiple blind spots in your EYE? Any laser that's above 5mW can cause eye damage and any laser above 20mW will cause eye damage with direct or indirect exposure. There is a reason why 5mW + lasers are illegal, these are not to be used to POINT at things, never use these in your house without proper eye safety.