Is anybody able to buy some of the Philips L-Prize bulbs for me at the subsidized $$?

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Is anybody able to buy some of the Philips L-Prize bulbs for me?
It is $60 unsubsidized but should be about $22 with utility company subsidy.
I can pay for it. In fact I already am paying for it in the form of higher electric bills! :laughing:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started seeing these bulbs at the Home Depots in Santee and Escondido, California. The ones in Santee were 93 lumens/watt and 930 lumens. The ones in Escondido were 94 lumens/watt and 940 lumens. Cost was $40 in both locations

Guess it depends on which Home Depot you visit. I found them at the Home Depot in Brea (on Imperial Hwy and Kraemer) for $24.99 . They're not where they normally keep all the light bulbs though; they were in the area where the ceiling fans and chandeliers were displayed.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess it depends on which Home Depot you visit. I found them at the Home Depot in Brea (on Imperial Hwy and Kraemer) for $24.99 . They're not where they normally keep all the light bulbs though; they were in the area where the ceiling fans and chandeliers were displayed.

If that's for the L Prize bulb, that's a great deal. If it's the similar looking 12.5 watt Phillips bulb that puts out 800 or so lumens, you're paying too much. Those are down to $20. The third possibility is that someone working there didn't know the difference and put the L Prize bulbs in the wrong spot.

I just bought my first l.e.d. bulb for indoor lighting, the L Prize bulb. I was looking at the other l.e.d. bulbs a long time before deciding this was the only one I wanted. I saw 800 lumen 13.5 watt bulbs at Costco discounted down to about $12. The florescents nearby were under $1 a piece and 900 lumens at 13 watts (more efficient than the l.e.d.). I saw the Philips l.e.d. bulbs at Home Depot. The $20 one with the remote phosphor was tempting as it was well built, but at 12.5 watts for 800+ lumens, it was still about the same as a florescent bulb. There was another Philips bulb that was more tempting. It was 10.5 watts at 800 lumens for $18. It would at least save a little over a florescent bulb. However, heatsinking wasn't the greatest and bulb life was lower. I doubted the bulb would last that long with how it was designed. I wanted something that I wouldn't have to replace. All the other l.e.d. bulbs made me realize that if I bought one, I would likely not use it for more than a year or two, when a more efficient bulb was available at half the price. I was tempted to buy the 10.5 watt Philips l.e.d. bulb as a stopgap until the L prize bulb went down in price, but decided to get the bulb I wanted from the start instead of buying one bulb now and one later. In California, for some reason, gas prices are skyrocketing and I figured electricity prices would follow. I wanted to get this bulb as an investment and hopefully it will pay off.

BLH

Newly Enlightened
I got my LPrize bulb through the power company and it was in a commercial use box.
It was marked Award Winning LED Bulb and L-Prize Winner. 10 watts 940 lumens.
Order Code 10A19/LPRIZE-PRO/2700-900 DIM as it is from the professional packaged bulb.
I can't say what the retail packaging may say.
I have a few of the 12.5 watt EnduraLED bulbs.
Both the retail and commercially packed ones are marked 12.5W 800 lumens.
Older revision with the 18 LEDs PN:12E26A60
Newer revision with less LEDs PN:12E26A60-1

The L-Prize Bulb has a solid white metal base area. The EnduraLEDs have a ribbed aluminum base area.

Last edited:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's for the L Prize bulb, that's a great deal. If it's the similar looking 12.5 watt Phillips bulb that puts out 800 or so lumens, you're paying too much. Those are down to $20. The third possibility is that someone working there didn't know the difference and put the L Prize bulbs in the wrong spot.

They are the L prize bulbs with the smooth, white body. Came displayed in a large, rectangular blister pack

The similar-looking 12.5 watt Philips EnduraLED was priced only 3 cents less ($24.97) than the L prize bulb in the same store.

Last edited:

Laszlo

Newly Enlightened
A friend indicated that RI and MA have a $24.95 incentive and they pay $25.00 for theirs.
I don't know if RI and MA increased their rebate, or are just applying the $25 against the new $35 price now most common on Amazon, but...
L-Prize bulbs are now $10 for Rhode Island and Massachusetts utility customers! :twothumbs
Don't think the price applies in retail stores, but I have friends who have confirmed they can order up to 12 bulbs per year at the $10 price (with free shipping to boot). Checkout requires inputting a customer number for one of the participating utilities to qualify. Time to call up your friends. Get them to hook you up!

sgt253

Enlightened
Just saw this L-Prize bulb on sale at a local Home Depot for $29.95. The advertising was touting the fact the price was dropped from $60. Nowhere near $9.99 like Rhode Island or Massachusetts. I gotta move...

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw this L-Prize bulb on sale at a local Home Depot for $29.95. The advertising was touting the fact the price was dropped from $60. Nowhere near $9.99 like Rhode Island or Massachusetts. I gotta move...

I know I'm bumping an old thread but I thought it would be worthwhile to post that they're $15 now in Maryland, none available in northern VA. I bought three last night and initial impressions are good!

What you can do is look the bulb up on HD's web site and then check store inventory, it will let you check within 50 miles of whatever zip code you input. I had to go a good ways out to find a store that had any of them, but fortunately two of them were near a friend's business. I guess you could also try the zip codes of friends/family that might be willing to pick some up for you and ship them to you.

hope this helps!

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked a few more up yesterday as I was in MD again. This time the display was gone and even though I'd checked store inventory before going and they showed 20-some in stock I couldn't find them. After asking an associate they were located on a shelf above the light bulb display, unmarked, unpriced, unmarketed... Had I not known what to look for I would have assumed that all they carried were the "standard" Philips LED bulbs and the Cree ones that they are really pushing now. Not knocking Cree at all but given roughly equivalent products with roughly equivalent pricing but one product has a higher CRI I will pick the higher CRI every time.

I'm starting to wonder if these are going to be NLA soon (after what, a month or so at the discounted pricing? And me being behind the curve I just found out about them) as I suspect HD is making more money per sale on Cree bulbs and most consumers don't understand the difference between them - there's certainly nothing on HD's web site or in the store that addresses the CRI issue so the only obvious difference is that the Cree is slightly dimmer and slightly less efficient (and also slightly less expensive.)

Part of me wants to stockpile these but that seems ludicrously silly. I'd like to think that Philips will a) keep making them and b) retool their higher wattage offerings using the same basic design as the L-prize bulb but my cynical part says that they'll probably sell more of a non-US made bulb with cheaper components that performs roughly equivalently so they'll take their prize money, fulfil a bunch of government contracts, then quietly stop production and concentrate on products that they can sell at a lower price point without subsidies. I hope that I'm wrong...!

Latest posts