Is Iron Mountain near Poway, CA off limits to night hikers now?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, the trail probably was always "closed" at night, it was just never enforced nor advertised. There are a lot of trails that have been closed off, but I think legally they really can't do anything to prevent you from hiking on it, and it would be impossible to really enforce the rules. It's more for show than anything.

I think they are just trying to cover themselves legally, in case something does happen, they can say that officially nobody was supposed to be on that trail. I can just imagine someone trying to sue the city after being injured or raped on that trail, they would try and claim the city is responsible for their safety since there is a all night parking lot available to the public. Also, maybe they have a problem with drifters or wanderers setting up camp at some of those trailheads. Without clear signage, they probably can't do much to remove them.

Sounds like the problem is resolved. Just think, if you had gone to City hall in the first place, you wouldn't have had to write that letter.

I agree with everything you said. I just hate the big brother mentality that is going around in government these days that is used as an excuse to restrict people's rights. Here's some examples of that mentality:

Want to hike at night? Not a chance. No one is smart enough to come prepared for that type of adventure. We're tired of searching for the bodies. We have to protect you from yourself. Now get in this straight jacket while we pad the walls of your house.

You want gun rights? Too bad. You'll only hurt yourself.

Want to drink soda with sugar in it at school? No, you'll turn into an obese blob. Here, try this soda with Nutrasweet or aspertame. It'll give you cancer and screw up your nervous system, but at least you'll look good when you die.

Want to save your money to raise a family? Too bad, we'll decide what you spend your money on.

We're the government and we know what's best for you. You're too stupid to make your own decisions. Want proof? You voted for us, didn't you?

InTheDark said:
I think legally they really can't do anything to prevent you from hiking on it...

Technically speaking, I think he could get a ticket for trespassing, but as mentioned if one is not bringing attention to themselves the should probably be ok.

I agree with everything you said. I just hate the big brother mentality that is going around in government these days that is used as an excuse to restrict people's rights. Here's some examples of that mentality:

Want to hike at night? Not a chance. No one is smart enough to come prepared for that type of adventure. We're tired of searching for the bodies. We have to protect you from yourself. Now get in this straight jacket while we pad the walls of your house.

You want gun rights? Too bad. You'll only hurt yourself.

Want to drink soda with sugar in it at school? No, you'll turn into an obese blob. Here, try this soda with Nutrasweet or aspertame. It'll give you cancer and screw up your nervous system, but at least you'll look good when you die.

Want to save your money to raise a family? Too bad, we'll decide what you spend your money on.

We're the government and we know what's best for you. You're too stupid to make your own decisions. Want proof? You voted for us, didn't you?

I'd love to discuss some of this but you're comments are bordering on being politically charged. Therefore this line of discussion should probably be avoided unless you wish to resume it in the Underground.

I'm glad for the most part everything worked out and you can continue using the trail, at your own risk.