my fridge is a jerk we are about to fight

raggie33

*the raggedier*
damn thing has this weird spring thing that makes it hard to close the door!!!!!! i have no idea whats its for i thought door light switch but it isnst that. so instead of like i did all my life i go to fridge grab a what ever most days i just swing door and it closes but not on this fridge. i hate it trully im this dumb 2 times a day i go to fridge and it isnst closed at all loll.. i can only figure this sping thing is so way to help open door due to vacumn? but if u can tell me how to remoive it id be so happy

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make and model of the fridge might help. The door on mine doesn't work that great eather. And it quit working about 5 years ago entirely. I pulled it out and took the back of it apart and vaccuumed it out and blew the dust off the coils and it started working again. I need to look at the door now. New dishwasher I bought just over a year ago already isn't working and I haven't even used it that much. Appliance guy says it needs a new PC board. Good thing it's under warranty. It never ends with new appliances these days. Not built to last at all. Throwaway society now..

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meanwhile we're still using a washing machine we bought in 1973. Only thing we replaced was the belt, the timer, and maybe the water pump.
New appliances seem like they're all garbage now. Kinda like everything else new. Too many features you don't need, to much garbage on them, built cheap as heck, expensive to fix when they break. Why I keep my old vehicles.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Raggie I'm waiting for you to start a thread titled:

Went to a dollar tree yesterday and there was 3 young (eh, hem) ladies twerking for Mrs Fixer and I in the parking lot. I suppose the more blubber involved, the better the effect? I dunno, anyway Mrs Fixer was nearby and says "look, the buffalo's are about to spontaneuosly combust".

I smiled and did a thumbs up and circled it around like a kite flying and at the end up the circle transitioned it to a thumbs down.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its a ge french door there is some kind of device that makes door harder to close . or perhaps eaiser to open but i want it off lol

raggie33

*the raggedier*
id have to guess it trully is to make fridge easier to open but it just makes it hard to close im so used to just getly swinging door closed

raggie33

*the raggedier*
btw it closes a c ourse but i am old and im so used to just slightly starting door to close as i walk away and it closes. so im so used to this all my life so now i forget try to do the same and come back and door is like 1 inch open

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I did a quick search on GE French Door Fridge Spring and came up with a number of results for spring replacements. Apparently this is a common type of failure. Depending on the design, it might be simple to replace it by removiong a couple of screws on the center hinge.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's brand new it should be fixed under warranty.
Yup, hopefully so. I had to purchase an extended warranty for mine because it was just over a year old. What a racket. And the appliance guy is busy as hell fixing all this new garbage like 12+ hours a day it sounded like. Everything is junk now.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to a dollar tree yesterday and there was 3 young (eh, hem) ladies twerking for Mrs Fixer and I in the parking lot. I suppose the more blubber involved, the better the effect? I dunno, anyway Mrs Fixer was nearby and says "look, the buffalo's are about to spontaneuosly combust".

I smiled and did a thumbs up and circled it around like a kite flying and at the end up the circle transitioned it to a thumbs down.
I bet one of those blubbery gals can fix Raggie's fridge door, it just needs a little twerking (-;

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

At least the blubber involved didn't suck you in through gravitational pull or distort space and time so that you were unable to leave. Consider yourself lucky!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's brand new it should be fixed under warranty.
Yea, mine was just beyond that one year standard deal. The codes it threw that I saw 188 & 191 were bad heating element and something about the water source, then it shuts off about ten seconds after I cycle the circuit breaker. That was the end of my troubleshooting. Could just not get anything going. When the appliance repair guy showed up I was confused when he said it needed a new PC board and would be two weeks, but I'm sure he knows what he's doing with these new pieces of crap.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yea, mine was just beyond that one year standard deal. The codes it threw that I saw 188 & 191 were bad heating element and something about the water source, then it shuts off about ten seconds after I cycle the circuit breaker. That was the end of my troubleshooting. Could just not get anything going. When the appliance repair guy showed up I was confused when he said it needed a new PC board and would be two weeks, but I'm sure he knows what he's doing with these new pieces of crap.
I would expect that the motherboard would be operational if it's able to give you error codes and (maybe deliberately) preventing the system from starting up...?