Is there a way to swap the SF A2's lamp with a led?

vtec

Newly Enlightened
Is there a way to swap the SF A2's incandescent lamp with a led? I'm aware of the onion ring led upgrade but I want to swap the 50 lumen lamp with a led.

BSBG

Enlightened
It has been done.

There was a post about it, but the question then, as now, is why? :D

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

NE450No2

Enlightened
Is there a way to swap the SF A2's incandescent lamp with a led? I'm aware of the onion ring led upgrade but I want to swap the 50 lumen lamp with a led.

I think what some of us are trying to tell you is that there is no flashlight out there with the great features of the A2.

Those of us that use them a lot, and like them, could not bear to be without them.

Its regulated Incandescent, with the low light long running LEDs, that will still "glow in the dark" after the batteries will not fire up the Incandescent lamp, make it a very good useful tool for those of us that prefer an Incandescent lamp for certain uses.

If you just want "More Bright" from your A2 get a Lumens Factory HO A2 lamp.

If you just desire longer runtime of the high setting, but still want the 3 lumen LED low get an E2L.

Keep the A2 as is.... Now you have two great lights, IMHO.

vtec

Newly Enlightened
SF is going LED. Incandescent are on borrowed time.

NE450No2

Enlightened
Now Gentlemen...

I AM an Incandescent kind of guy for many/most uses....

But LED,s do have their uses, and advantages.

Now I would agree ANYONE that would modify an A2 to an LED SHOULD be Tar and Feathered......

Still LED's do have the advantage of longer run time....

So, I use Incandescents till the batteries get low, then I use LED's, because a LED that "Glows in the Dark" is mo'betta
that an incandescent that will not fire up".

BUT to MODIFY a SF A2... It is a Travesty, it is Heresay, it IS an Obomination of the highest order...

Tar and Feathers... Drawn and Quartered, Burned at the Stake, Boiled in Oil comes to mind.:D

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
im a Led guy, who recently got an old 4 flats, smooth bezel A2 (SN A00565) from the market place, with a L2 for 140+shipping to oz

there are lights that should be modded, and lights that should be left as is, and then there is the A2, which should be upgraded with an onion ring (when the become available), 2 rcr123s then stuck in a pocket and used like hell.

Im trying to convince my wife that i need another one (a nice new round side, long clip A2-YG)

Last edited:

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
Ban the Blasphemer!!! :eek:

Perhaps a mod shall joking display "Banned for butchering A2" next to my name.......

Nonetheless, I find this a funny thread! I agree with some of sentiments for the butchering of my A2, but I did so because I own three A2's. I still have two and wouldn't change them for the world (which are my only incans left in the collection). I liked the form factor of the A2 so much, I just thought what the heck, I'll try the LED mod just to see if it can be done. This is of course, without knowing the A2L would eventually be released. But the new styling of Surefire's just don't have that classic look and feel that SF has retained for at least the last decade or so that most of us have grown keen on.

NE450No2

Enlightened
im a Led guy, who recently got an old 4 flats, smooth bezel A2 (SN A00565) from the market place, with a L2 for 140+shipping to oz

there are lights that should be modded, and lights that should be left as is, and then there is the A2, which should be upgraded with an onion ring (when the become available), 2 rcr123s then stuck in a pocket and used like hell.

Im trying to convince my wife that i need another one (a nice new round side, long clip A2-YG)

My first A2 was a YG. I used it last night when I was putting up the ducks. The YG is great for reading a map in the dark and not messing up your night addapted vision, but it is just too dim for general navigation in the dark.
My second A2 is White LED's and they are much, brighter than the YG, and just perfect for a working low.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first A2 was a YG. I used it last night when I was putting up the ducks. The YG is great for reading a map in the dark and not messing up your night addapted vision, but it is just too dim for general navigation in the dark.
My second A2 is White LED's and they are much, brighter than the YG, and just perfect for a working low.

the Y/G will get bored for 2xAWr123, and an onion ring when they are released, the Y/G leds will be going in the old 4 flats one as a "staggering to the toilet in the middle of the night" light, if i manage to convince the spousal unit that another A2 is necessary (actually i need one in each colour, but thats not going to happen)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Y/G will get bored for 2xAWr123, and an onion ring when they are released, the Y/G leds will be going in the old 4 flats one as a "staggering to the toilet in the middle of the night" light, if i manage to convince the spousal unit that another A2 is necessary (actually i need one in each colour, but thats not going to happen)

I said the same thing about it "not going to happen" and now, 3 A2's later (red, white, and y/g) I'm having to resist picking up a blue and green to complete the collection. :whistle:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I said the same thing about it "not going to happen" and now, 3 A2's later (red, white, and y/g) I'm having to resist picking up a blue and green to complete the collection. :whistle:

damnit, this could get expensive :oops:

I actually really really like this light, even though its going to eat through most of my collection of 123s, and most of the contents of my wallet.
im really looking forward to the onion ring, easy LED colour changes FTW !

Last edited: