Is there any way powering a 2xcr123/1x18650 light with NiMH's?

Nytern

Newly Enlightened
I was so happy when I ordered a Xeno G42 V2 flashlight, but then I did as many before me has done...

I read about the scary side of owning a multiple lithium cell light..

I'm not gonna order rechargeable 18650's and a charger, I'm just too scared :shakehead

Was planning on powering the flashlight with surefire cr123's wich I've already ordered BUT..

I ask you, is there any way powering this flashlight with rechargeable NiMH's?

The input voltage for this flashlight is 3-6v. I found 2/3A batteries, but they're only 1.2v each.

I admit I'm a huge sissy after reading all the scary stories, I even bought myself a really heavy strongbox for storing lithiums today :duh2::whistle:

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
Read everything about Li Ions, order a Pila charger, and AW 18650's and you will be fine. Just keep track of voltage before and after charging and use. 2 2/3 A's are shorter then a 18650 and only 2.6 volts off the charger, 3 would be too long.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would do as gearhead suggested. But, if you insist on running NiMh cells, you might try to find 3, 1/3 A cells. If they have a button, or nipple (instead of a true flat top), 3 of them may be about the same length as an 18650. As I remember, 1/3 A's actually run a bit longer than "one third" of an A cell (50mm), something like 20-22mm.

The biggest downside to this idea, is that you'd proabaly only have 300-400mAh of capacity. These type cells are designed to supply high current, not capacity.

Dave

Mudflap

Newly Enlightened
AW IMR 18650 or AW RCR 123A LiFePO4 batteries would perform very well and are considered to be safe chemistry batteries.

Nytern

Newly Enlightened
Aha!

Where do I buy these AW IMR 18650's? And what charger would you recommend?

Oh, and are they really that safe? :)

Seems like these batteries would suit me well.

herculino

Newly Enlightened
I think you shouldn't be scared about Li cells, you just need to know them and follow some easy safety rules. IMO the best place to start learning is that.

Best regards from Zaragoza.

Nytern

Newly Enlightened
Interesting link, but I think I know enough to stay clear of the most obvious traps/dangers with lithiums.. When I recieve my surefire cr123's I'll measure the batteries voltages and match them in pairs.

I'll not mix batteries with different charging states or different brands.

Would be nice to get an url to a webshop selling the AW IMR 18650's and a tip about chargers for these cells.

If I understand correctly, it's much safer to use a single cell if I have the option.

Mudflap

Newly Enlightened
Aha!

Where do I buy these AW IMR 18650's? And what charger would you recommend?

Oh, and are they really that safe? :)

Seems like these batteries would suit me well.

I'm still new to CPF and I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to recommend a vendor in this thread. :duh2: (Try using a search engine "AW IMR 18650")

I recommend the Pila charger. I've used those batteries and that charger extensively for the last 10 months with no incidents whatsoever. :thumbsup:

Nytern

Newly Enlightened
Ahh, so am I :) Thank you for the advice!

I'll try powering the flashlight with 2xcr123a's for a while before I make up my mind. Guess it'll be fine as long as I treat it properly :)

Nytern

Newly Enlightened
Recieved the Xeno G42 today!

When not using it, if I unscrew the tailcap almost all the way is it safe to store it with the batteries inside?

I mean, If I can't turn it on there shouldnt be any connection between the batteries/flashlight?

bob4apple

Enlightened
Please, P L E A S E stop worrying about this. However, if you insist, try reading
some horror stories about common car batteries that have welded jewelry to the
wrists of mechanics and vented hydrogen gas which exploded and showered bystanders
with sulfuric acid.

Here are some interesting facts:

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, a total of about 2,300 people were treated in hospitals for lead-acid battery injuries during 2003.
Of this total, approximately 50 percent of the injuries involved acid burns to the eyes. The remaining injuries were mostly due to lifting
(i.e., back and shoulder strains) or dropping (i.e., broken foot bones and contusions) lead-acid batteries.

There, now- feel better?