Is there anything comparable to a Sebenza

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
You guys are a bunch of total *******s, every last one of you. For nearly 6 1/2 years, I was content with spending all my money on flashlights. Then I made the mistake of viewing this forum. Yeah, cold steel, that's what I need.

I started out small. $20 for a Buck Nobleman. No more fumbling around with a butterknife when a package arrives. The Nobelman dispatches it in short order.

Then I saw someone's pic of a Benchmade 585 mini-barrage. It "looked neat", so I bought one. I really like the heft of it and the spring assist feature.

Then I came across this thread. "What the heck is a Sebenza?" I did a search. Found them and fell in love. But they sure aren't cheap. At any rate, here's what I ordered today:

http://www.knifeart.com/chreungrsmse1.html

It should be here in a couple of days. But again I say, you guys are *******s, sucking me in like this.

Okay, I feel better now. Say, there has to be forum around here with guns, right?

divechief

Newly Enlightened
Evil:

Sweet Sebie. I feel your pain. I used to be happy with my leatherman, and buck 110. after a few flashlights I also checked out this thread, then migrated to a few of the blade forums. I now own several Lone Wolf Paul knives and a lone wolf double action diablo that I can't carry in my state (but it is a great letter opener) I have a small sebenza that is in the mail to me as I type. I really like the look of the raindrop Damascus Mnandi. I think, with the right wood inlay that would become my new everyday carry, Alas, Chris Reeve says there is a 12 month back order on all Damascus blades. I might pull the plug anyway, it is so hard to wait, but I really need the right wood.

------------------------------
You guys are a bunch of total *******s, every last one of you. For nearly 6 1/2 years, I was content with spending all my money on flashlights. T

Gatsby

Enlightened
Well just to report back - I still enjoy the Sage but it is a substantial knife for daily carry in business casual. Despite arguably the same blade length as a Caly III for example, it carries a fair bit larger.

So I found a titanium compression framelock Spydie Salso - mislabelled on the fleabay so I got a good deal on it - and while it is smaller it still is a really thick knife. It certainly is a substantial blade but the blade is so fat that it is not a great tool for, say, slicing an apple. Sometimes a more narrow blade is more useful.

I thought I was done with this adventure and yet, I was scoping around the sources and pondering a small Sebbie yet again...

:banghead:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's scary that a few years ago a Sebenza was shockingly expensive and now it seems like a steal.

Turn back now!! :nana:

commodorewheeler

Newly Enlightened
It certainly is a substantial blade but the blade is so fat that it is not a great tool for, say, slicing an apple. Sometimes a more narrow blade is more useful.

I thought I was done with this adventure and yet, I was scoping around the sources and pondering a small Sebbie yet again...

:banghead:

You should probably just go ahead and get the Sebenza. For a beefy framelock, it's got a pretty thin blade, so it would serve your slicing goals very well.

It's scary that a few years ago a Sebenza was shockingly expensive and now it seems like a steal.

It does help that CRK hasn't raised the price on that knife in over 5 years now. I remember when I first started collecting in 2004, many full custom tactical folders were actually less expensive direct from the maker than the Sebenza was. Now, almost none of them are.