Is there anything comparable to a Sebenza

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
When I first read the title I was going to suggest a XM-18 from Hinderer.

But in all honesty as much as it hurts your wallet getting expensive knives. You honestly get what you pay for. I love my Spydercos and Bokers but after getting a high end knife like a Sebenza you'll be spoiled.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Get a ZT you'll never want to spend money on a Sebenza again.

Doubt that, the ZT is alot like a strider, well, they should be since they have the same designer, but the sebenza is in a class of its own, its what i would describe as the perfect knife, refined to the Nth degree and built to last a lifetime, elegant brutality. the only thing that i would say is considerable is the scott cook lochsa, but you couldnt get one even if you wanted to.

carrot

Flashaholic
Doubt that, the ZT is alot like a strider, well, they should be since they have the same designer, but the sebenza is in a class of its own, its what i would describe as the perfect knife, refined to the Nth degree and built to last a lifetime, elegant brutality. the only thing that i would say is considerable is the scott cook lochsa, but you couldnt get one even if you wanted to.
+1

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
What about the XM-18? I really don't need a knife, but I am thinking Sebbie (big one) or XM-18.
bernie

sygyzy

Enlightened
XM-18 seems to be the answer except it's very difficult to get, even used, whereas a Sebenza is easy.

carrot

Flashaholic
The large XM18 isn't even close to the Sebenza, except maybe in build quality. It is a lot beefier, and not as comfortable to carry, and the thicker blade is better suited towards prying than adept slicing. Now the small XM18, on the other hand, is quite similar to size to the small Sebenza... but Rick's table price is a bit higher than the Sebenza's MSRP, and you'll never get one at table price anyway...

gdwtvb

Newly Enlightened
I just went the other way, after over seven years of EDC a large Sebenza, I went with a spyderco sage II (titanium with the Reeve Integral Lock) No I'm not going to lie, the fit finish isn't exactly the same, but its very close. My two gripes with the Benza were the thumbstud, yes it worked and I got used to it, but IMHO it's no the best designed one available. The hole beats it hands down.

Second, to me at least, the flat ground blade out cuts the hollow ground sebenza. This may be bias, it may be prejudice but i like it better. The handle fits me better too.

When money allows, I'll probably get another Spyderco Sage...this will be the first time I've wanted to have an extra knife as a spare.

good luck and let us know what you get.

GDWTVB

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, Sebbie's and these production knives are nice but you really should step into the next level. Mayo, Onion, Cook, Fraley, Williams.

Live a little.

carrot

Flashaholic
Mayo and Cook are the only ones out of those whose knives appeal to me and neither of them are currently taking orders. As an aside, I had a Terzuola, and while it was nice, the Sebenza went back in my pocket and the Terzuola went on the marketplace after a few months. Nothing wrong with the Terz, but the Sebenza really is a good knife!

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been carrying a small Sebbie that my wife got for me 2 Christmases ago. I carry it every day and I love it.

I looked at the Benchmade Skirmish and thought that it would be a neat one to try as it looks real similar to the Sebbie. I have never pulled the trigger because of how nice the Sebenza is.

The best gift that she ever gave me.

Knives are so much easier to keep up with than lights are. I have had the Sebenza for nearly 2 years and I don't have a need to buy and carry the latest and greatest knife because the tech is pretty darn stable. I have a couple of Bark River Bravo's that I am very happy with too and don't need to upgrade.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mayo and Cook are the only ones out of those whose knives appeal to me and neither of them are currently taking orders. As an aside, I had a Terzuola, and while it was nice, the Sebenza went back in my pocket and the Terzuola went on the marketplace after a few months. Nothing wrong with the Terz, but the Sebenza really is a good knife!

Tom does if you ask nicely. :twothumbs Cook's can be found on the B/S/T forums of the BF, CGKF, USN, etc...

Look at Carson, Obenauf, Onion, Mcginnis, etc. Sebs are nice but once you go custom you'll never look back.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Well I got cold feet (finances being what they are and an unexpected trip for a funeral took a toll) and ended up pulling the trigger on a Spyderco Sage 2 which is as mentioned a direct homage to CRK with the titanium frame and integral lock. It combines features of the CalyIII and Native, both of which I own and love.

I looked at the skirmish but it was too large really...

My initial impressions after carrying it for a week -

* It is a substantial knife. I'd looked at some reviews comparing it to a small sebenza and they looked roughly the same size, but you can't really gauge size until you handle one. It is at the edge for me as an EDC, the low ride clip makes it easier. Given the posted blade size, etc.. it was bigger than I expected and I compared it to my CalyIII and while only very slightly longer, and the blades are the same length, the Sage is a good bit wider (meaning top to bottom) both in blade and scales. The blade shape is indeed somewhere between the CalyIII and Native which means it is also wider than the CalyIII. I suppose in terms of overall profile it is closer to a Native than a CalyIII which is a fairly compact knife for the blade size.

* It opens and locks up smoothly, but the detent feature more or less by design means it does not open as smoothly as say a Benchmade Mini Grip which flies open. It is smoother than my CalyIII, more smooth than my Native (a zytel SCM30v model with no bronze bushings) and less smoothly than my Mini Grip. The lockup is early and super tight, and there is zero blade play. The overall feel is tight and solid, and the spyderhole and frame cutouts make for easy deployment, if not rocket fast.

Overall I'm happy with this purchase - it is growing on me as I'm getting used to the size. It is razor sharp and very secure in use, nicely balanced.

We'll see if it quenches the thirst!

EV_007

Enlightened
The look, feel and the quality of Sebenzas cannot be ignored. I love the smooth, yet grippy feel to the titanium handle of my small classic Sebbie.

The Sebbies seem to have a refined, classy look compared to most other knives, yet is very capable tool that won't shy away from hard use.

Knives don't get quickly replaced by newer or better ones like flashlights can.

commodorewheeler

Newly Enlightened
Well I got cold feet (finances being what they are and an unexpected trip for a funeral took a toll) and ended up pulling the trigger on a Spyderco Sage 2 which is as mentioned a direct homage to CRK with the titanium frame and integral lock. It combines features of the CalyIII and Native, both of which I own and love.

I looked at the skirmish but it was too large really...

My initial impressions after carrying it for a week -

* It is a substantial knife. I'd looked at some reviews comparing it to a small sebenza and they looked roughly the same size, but you can't really gauge size until you handle one. It is at the edge for me as an EDC, the low ride clip makes it easier. Given the posted blade size, etc.. it was bigger than I expected and I compared it to my CalyIII and while only very slightly longer, and the blades are the same length, the Sage is a good bit wider (meaning top to bottom) both in blade and scales. The blade shape is indeed somewhere between the CalyIII and Native which means it is also wider than the CalyIII. I suppose in terms of overall profile it is closer to a Native than a CalyIII which is a fairly compact knife for the blade size.

* It opens and locks up smoothly, but the detent feature more or less by design means it does not open as smoothly as say a Benchmade Mini Grip which flies open. It is smoother than my CalyIII, more smooth than my Native (a zytel SCM30v model with no bronze bushings) and less smoothly than my Mini Grip. The lockup is early and super tight, and there is zero blade play. The overall feel is tight and solid, and the spyderhole and frame cutouts make for easy deployment, if not rocket fast.

Overall I'm happy with this purchase - it is growing on me as I'm getting used to the size. It is razor sharp and very secure in use, nicely balanced.

We'll see if it quenches the thirst!

Glad you found a good replacement. Personally, I would have said that the Bradley Alias is closer to the Sebenza in design than the Ti Sage, but I personally like the Ti Sage better as well.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
Here is some good reading, a side by side review, etc-
http://benchmadeforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4621019603/m/9991078374

I have 4 of the Bradleys, great knives.
Off topic-
Ya want the best "DEAL" on a knife?
Try (get this, LOL!!)-
A Buck Vantage PRO,
It is S30V steel blade, very solid and smooth action and what makes it so great???
$50 shipped!!!
IMO, that is a knife "best buy"
Yeah, there are better and more expensive knives and yeah, I have some, but dollar for dollar, that is the best "bang for Buck" (pun intended:)