Is this the 'best' led conversion for the mini-mag?

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,
You should see the Minimag as a host in which a whole lot of bulb combinations are possible. I have Minimags with green, red leds. Terralux, Sandwich Shoppe, NiteIze and the incan bulb. I really love this wide array of options. A replacement kit costs less than a replacement incan lamp for a Surefire, see it that way ;-)
As you can replace anything, your Minimag will be your lifetime companion, and I am not so sure that the newer led minimags can claim this as well ...
Keep well,
Joris

ttown

Newly Enlightened
I have had a couple of MiniMags for 15 years or so that I upgraded several times. I recently upgraded to the Terralux drop in, and found that the Terralux is a lot less "Ringy" with the Nite-ize reflector installed.

david57strat

Enlightened
I know this is a really old thread, but someone is bound to do an on-line search, and maybe some of this information, and pictures will help. This has already been mentioned in earlier replies to this post, but here we go, anyway, with some pictures...

Terralux makes the TLE-5 upgrade kit for the 2AA Mini Mag. They've been making these for a while.

I've also tried the NiteIze, and was very displeased with the difference in output, even though it cost a few bucks less than the Terralux upgrade I purchased. The Terralux upgrade runs about 16 bucks, but it's a world of difference.

TLE-5EX MiniStar2 is a 140 lumen upgrade (emitter lumens...the OTF output is more like 100 lumens, but very nice output). This will (painlessly) convert your old incandescent light into an LED, and will radically improve the output and run time of your light.

It also comes with its own replacement reflector, which you should use.
Please see pictures below:

101_3508.jpg

Minimag 2AA with stock incandescent bulb

101_3509.jpg

Minimag 2AA, after TerraLUX upgrade drop-in was installed (same exact camera settings)

True, if you don't mind spending a few bucks more (on an all new light), and if you really like the Mini Mag AA design, you can get Maglite's Pro Plus, which has a stated ANSI output of 245 lumens, and low and high modes. One of these can be had for a little over thirty bucks, if you look around.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must have over a dozen mini mags and mini pros and pluses in storage. Once LED lights like the original PD32 came along it became clear to me that my attachment to the Minis and upgrading them etc. was pretty pointless. Why mag doesnt redesign the Mini is beyond me. They did a smashing job with the new 3rd Gen D cell LED why cannot they do the same with the Mini?