ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Re: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

The black iTP 3-mode has some real throw for a 1XAAA light. It even cast light farther than my Rebel EOS 4-mode headlamp on high. There is a SS iTP out now. It looked more polished than the SS Maratac based on some photos. I prefer a mat finish on SS however. Guess I will get one or the other but will need to hold off as got 2 new lights this month. Darn CPF is going to make me broke. :mecry:Anyways the iTP gave me good service on the AT a few weeks ago. For the most part didn't even know it was in my pocket and everyone was shocked at the output.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

Indeed. I posted a thread/poll where 76 people voted low/med/high, and only 10 voted medium/low/high. 9 people voted high/medium/low.

That's just CPF, there's a huge world of flashlight buyers beyond us and Fenix (or maybe 4Sevens) stated more people like medium first, I know I do.

Burgess

Flashaholic

Thank you, SelfBuilt, for your time, effort, and dedication in performing these great reviews !

:goodjob::kewlpics::thanks:

_

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm...7777 must have had a lot of people returning Fenix lights on the unconditional guarantee they once had. That guarantee was too good to last, without some people abusing it. :(

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Not saying it is 4 7s, but it is typical for new and struggling businesses to give better guarantees than their competition till they get established then drop them to similar as everyone else to maximize profits. Car dealers here do it all the time, hard drive manufacturers..... etc.

dirtech

Enlightened

Is the clip reversible on the itp version? I can't quite tell from the pics. I'm thinking of being able to clip to a ball cap. Thanks.

Hmmm...7777 must have had a lot of people returning Fenix lights on the unconditional guarantee they once had. That guarantee was too good to last, without some people abusing it. :(

+1

Another great review Selfbuilt.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

okbohn

Newly Enlightened

What an excellent review!

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where are my manners? Thanks very much Selfbuilt for the great review! Also Going Gear and StandardBattery for providing the lights!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Another seriously fine review, Selfbuilt. Food for the flashaholic.

Geoff

Patriot

Flashaholic

Another 5 star review from my favorite reviewer! :twothumbs

I've been a fan of these little lights from fairly early on in their release history and it's great to see the performance data that I was witnessing confirmed by the best guy in the business. Very few negatives for this light considering the price and performance.

Thank you Selfbuilt for your dedication and investment of time for our benefit. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Excellent review as always. :twothumbs

Makes sense though, since Maratac's AA offering is also an iTP light.

bodhran

Enlightened

For once my wife showed some interest in a flashlight. She loves my natural Maratac and after she read your review, another first, decided she wants one. Out of the kindness of my heart I decided to give her mine. Of course I had to order the SS version to replace it. :naughty:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone. :)

Is the clip reversible on the itp version? I can't quite tell from the pics. I'm thinking of being able to clip to a ball cap.
Yes, the clip can be attached to the head of the light (just below the knurling, pointed back toward the light), so that you can run it on a ball cap. But as you can tell from the pics, the head is thicker than the standard attachment point on the base (for both the ITP and Maratac versions). This means the clip holder will stretch out a bit when you place it on the head.

Not a problem, but it you plan to put back on the tail, you'll find you will need to bend the metal prongs closer together again. I wouldn't recommend you switch it back and forth too many times, as the metal is fairly thin and likely won't appreciate the repeated stresses.

I've been a fan of these little lights from fairly early on in their release history and it's great to see the performance data that I was witnessing confirmed by the best guy in the business. Very few negatives for this light considering the price and performance.
Yes, the output/runtime performance is quite good on these. Although the LF2XT still wins out for efficiency on Med/Lo (and for all around versatility), the ITP/Maratacs are very respectable.

For once my wife showed some interest in a flashlight. She loves my natural Maratac and after she read your review, another first, decided she wants one. Out of the kindness of my heart I decided to give her mine. Of course I had to order the SS version to replace it. :naughty:
We'll see if I can talk my wife away from her current keychain carry - the original Fenix L0P (single-stage luxeon, ~30 lumen output). I know - it's just so 2007. :laughing:

I've tried to sway her over years with multi-stage lights, without success (almost had her for the LF2XT, but she's worried about accidentally accessing a programming state and getting lost). I know she won't go for the multi-stage ITP/Maratac (she is even more sensitive to PWM than I am!), but I'm thinking the single-stage model might do the trick. Depends how much she likes the higher lumen output - she has stuck with the 30 lumen L0P, as she finds it a good amount of light overall.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I love this little EDC!!!
Used it around the house this weekend and it has completely replaced my E0-Dart, for around the neck EDC.

It effectively alleviates my two biggest complaints about the E0... Too many lumens for night vision preservation, yet not enough for general use around the house, and the blue/violet color tint.

But I too would prefer a LMH sequence.... or perhaps a last mode memory.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got my iTP upgrade today, this light is AMAZING!!! I think we have ourselves a new bang for the buck champion. I can not believe how tiny this thing is, it makes my E01 look like a tank. Out of all of my lights, this one amazes me the most, it's size, output and price combo really makes it stand out from the rest. I have this 2AA Lux 3 III SnapOn light that has this really amazing wide beam, but it's huge size (it dwarves my P100A2 and every other 2AA light I've seen) made it a PITA to use. This iTP puts it to shame. It's not only brighter, but has a larger hotspot and wider sidespill and my particular Q5 seems to have no tint whatsoever, no matter what I compare it to, it doesn't appear to become warmer when compared to cooler lights like my aqua tinted L2T or cool when compared to my AA neu-tac Quark, I've never seen an LED like that.

I do think I would have been slightly more happy with the Maratac as it tailstands, 20.18 shipped for the iTP upgrade just seemed better for me. I find it sort of ironic that the Maratac uses a baggie to keep costs down, yet you will still end up paying 8 bucks more for it.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic

Thanks for reconfirming the finish, guys. Don't know how I missed that.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Much simpler than that. Quark.

Why provide a lifetime guarantee on your competitors product when your own product has a 10 year guarantee?