I've finished my bike lights!! Now with Beam Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swallow

Newly Enlightened
Re: I've finished my bike lights!!

thanks Alex - yep have to wait till late to use these now, however it means that after I finish work on Saturday I can get to Afan, pitch a tent then head out into the sunset up Whites Level!! Look forward to seeing ur lights.

Swallow

Newly Enlightened

That's a great setup! :thumbsup: How do you find the Cree's out on the trails? I used my PT Apex last year and found that, while the main LED on high had good throw, the light from the LED tended to be very 'flat' on the trail so it was difficult to see a lot of detail in terms of ruts and rocks. Does it help to have 6 Cree's putting out that amount of light? Dang, you must scare people out on the trails!

Btw, that's a great bike! I own a RM as well and they are solidly built bikes.

Thanks RGB - only been out once with these lights so far, with both on the bars - really should have one on bars and one on head, but these worked out to be a bit heavier than I anticipated. Leaves the door open for me to make another smaller unit for head, maybe Mag C with 3seouls again and same driver/battery setup - would that mean over 2000 lumens total??!!

Ganp

Enlightened

Hi Swallow - welcome to CPF.

Great post and a very nice mod of those Mag' heads:twothumbs

Now I know what was lighting up the night sky when I looked over Bath way the other night :laughing:

Colin.

Krit

Enlightened

Wow, very nice light. I think your light is very bright on the road. How about thermal from long time operate.

Swallow

Newly Enlightened

Wow, very nice light. I think your light is very bright on the road. How about thermal from long time operate.

Hi Krit, here in the UK unfortunately we do not have the same balmy climate as Thailand (we will in 10 years time though!). The times when I will use these lights (after dark) the temperature will never be above 18C even in the height of summer, add to this the cooling effect of the air as I am cycling (very fast naturally!) and I think I am safe. I did an indoor test on the lights using the infrared temperature gun I have at my shop and after 30 mins it was at about 50C, however on my first outdoor use of the lights, after an hour they were only just warm to the touch. In winter I hope to warm my frozen hands on them!!!

RGB_LED

Enlightened

what rmb do you have??
A little off-topic but I own an almost mint, 2001 RM Oxygen Race with several upgrades to stem, seatpost, derailleurs, shifters. I'm looking upgrading to RM Element 70, hopefully this year.

Swallow

Newly Enlightened

admittedly off topic, but relevant really as without the bike I would have no lights - element really recommended, I am a xc rider really (no hucking) and this can take a lot of punishment!

RGB_LED

Enlightened

Thanks RGB - only been out once with these lights so far, with both on the bars - really should have one on bars and one on head, but these worked out to be a bit heavier than I anticipated. Leaves the door open for me to make another smaller unit for head, maybe Mag C with 3seouls again and same driver/battery setup - would that mean over 2000 lumens total??!!
2000 lumens! WOW!:huh:

I think it would be great for you to make another helmet-mounted lite - maybe with a smaller head? Mag AA with one cree?

I'd be interested in seeing how you like them for trail riding... and as another poster indicated... beam shots please! :naughty:

Swallow

Newly Enlightened

2000 lumens! WOW!:huh:

I think it would be great for you to make another helmet-mounted lite - maybe with a smaller head? Mag AA with one cree?

I'd be interested in seeing how you like them for trail riding... and as another poster indicated... beam shots please! :naughty:

Beam shots coming tonight/tomorrow am - out cycling again tonight so will take camera!

RGB_LED

Enlightened

admittedly off topic, but relevant really as without the bike I would have no lights - element really recommended, I am a xc rider really (no hucking) and this can take a lot of punishment!
I am primarily an xc rider as well; I like the fast, twisty single-track and there's a lot of free areas in Southern Ontario, Canada for that... which is why I'm upgrading to a full-suspension. Er, perhaps we should take this conversation to another forum... :eek:.

Back to the lites!

mtn_dance

Newly Enlightened

I am primarily an xc rider as well; I like the fast, twisty single-track and there's a lot of free areas in Southern Ontario, Canada for that... which is why I'm upgrading to a full-suspension. Er, perhaps we should take this conversation to another forum... :eek:.

Back to the lites!
There is a lights (&GPS) forum at http://www.mtbr.com where most of us bike / light freaks hang out.

Swallow

Newly Enlightened

thanks mtn will check it out

spider-cricket-hater

Newly Enlightened

hey swallow, how much the set-up end up costing you? Could you put a short list of where you got the components from ? I am interested in doing one for myself as well.

thanks man!
( ps. when the night shots are coming ? :naughty: )

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd just like to say I am very impressed with your setup Swallow, and it's given me some inspiration of my own - I doubt I could pull that off though :naughty:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice lights Mr Swallow. I ( like many others here) am a fan of the modified Mags. If you have the time it would be nice to see how you made them and where you got all the parts from? How do you turn them on/off?
Off topic - your shop looks great, having just read your website I feel really hungry, which is no fun as I'm having to starve untill tomorrow morning ! (blood tests)

Swallow

Newly Enlightened

beam shots!

Thanks to everyone for compliments - didnt expect the lights would get such a response! I keep forgetting to take beamshots, but will have a go tonight - I live in a built up (orange) area so will have to make a trip out. I have a digital camera that is a few years old, any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.