I've Got The Blues

toby_pra

Flashaholic
I thuoght the electronic could be damaged once i put it in the water solution,
and there will be a short circuit in the electronics. But the light it waterproof,
so what could happen?

Midnight Run

Enlightened
Personnally, I would not attempt to do that.
I would ask Dave to dismantle and ship the parts to me, do the work and ship it back for rebuilding... If he wouldn't mind... Which I would if I were him. ;)

Last edited:

toby_pra

Flashaholic
It's a $1000 flashlight. Do you really want to risk damaging it by immersing sensitive components in acid? Take it apart.

If you do it carefully, you cant do it wrong. ;)

There are some points that you need to take care of, and no material will be damaged.

Thanks Data for your help. :)

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a $1000 flashlight. Do you really want to risk damaging it by immersing sensitive components in acid? Take it apart.

There is no acid involved with anodizing Titanium--it can be done with a simple electrolyte solution, such as TSP.

Note that I am not that I'm advocating sticking a SPY in any solution, however. :devil:

theslippyslug

Enlightened
...stainless part, the knob at the battery cap.

I don't think stainless bits will enjoy being anodised... I dunked a split ring that was supposed to be Ti but I suspect it was stainless... lot of fizzing (hydrogen), sparks (not compatible with hydrogen) and a faintly yellow stained split ring...

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you Email Peter Atwood and see if he will share his experience with you.
Frank

:)

Or ask the CPF'er that knows everything, just like my teenager/student.
nana.gif
Kidding...

fyrstormer

Banned
There is no acid involved with anodizing Titanium--it can be done with a simple electrolyte solution, such as TSP.

Note that I am not that I'm advocating sticking a SPY in any solution, however. :devil:
Tri-sodium phosphate is a strong alkali. A 1% TSP solution has a pH of 12 -- drain cleaner may be 100x stronger, but TSP is still a reactive chemical. Electrolytes + Electricity + Imperfect waterproofing = Dead electronics.

All I'm saying is it would suck to break something as expensive as a SPY.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just $0.02. Depending on the active solvents(or not), any rubbber, dirt, oil or grease could render the tank of solution unuseable. We used to chromate alluminum, prior to painting, and every piece needed to be grease, dirt, and rubber free.
I will always advocate complete disassembly of flashlights before a chemical process, regardless of the material used to build it. Whether it's a $1000 Spy, or a $69 Four Sevens, they should be disassembled cleaned and prepped for the coating/coloring process.
GL