Jeers to Bell and Howell for garage ceiling light

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It happened to a lot of old, reputable companies. I think the big takeovers started in the '80s when corporate raiding was the thing to do for easy profits. Boomers who trusted the brand names were/are largely the victims of the Blue Sky exploitation, IMO.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brand re-use thing is all over the place. Incandescent bulbs under RCA brand is funny. RCA used to make vacuum tubes, perhaps they just kept the filament part.

LED Christmas lights under Westinghouse brand have been pretty good though; which leads me back to my old joke from Mar. 3 2023:

Back to Bell+Howell, what I see is not all that cheap, for this product type. These "tri-burst" (and now "quad-burst") etc. light products typically sell for $40 and up here, for the basic model (4000 lumens). Efficacy is not all that great on some of these. Some of the cheaper no-brand stuff may not be that great. The one I referred to costing under $20 was opened up, appears to be of good quality, though unknown how it would hold up over time (since I hardly use it).

I avoid these lights mostly as the LED parts are non-replaceable or repairable by the average user. If a section goes, you either toss the whole thing, or live with lower light; assuming it's not interfering with the working sections (or flickering, sparking or smoking...).

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other thing about these lights is, they are so bright, like stadium lights, but ones I have seen are not dimmable. OK if you only need full power. Ability for a low setting would have been nice, maybe by toggling light switch, as with some A19 bulbs. No need for continuous dimming.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well looks like B+H now has a hex-panel light out there, trying to "out-panel" everything else?

Output 3000 lumens using 40W, 75 lumens per watt is not impressive when just about all others in this class I've seen are around 100 lpw.

I'm not so sure of 100,000 hour lifetime.

Appears to be running about $35 here.

Dave

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Saw one of these today at Lowes. Was mildly disappointed that it was the sole representative of its genre, however I was there for plumbing gubbins thus did not closely examine said aisle.

JoakimFlorence

Newly Enlightened
My friend's dad bought one of those sold on TV - Bell and Howell garage ceiling lights.
He was so pleased with it he bought one for his daughter and son in law.

Within a couple of months, it failed to light.
Within a couple of months later, his daughter's one failed to light.
In my experience, garage LED lighting seems to have a higher rate of failure due to constant vibration.
So it is very possible the vibration could be a factor in prematurely short lifespan. In other words, it simply was not really designed the best.

The same is true for incandescent and halogen bulbs, particularly the "higher efficiency" ones that put out brighter whiter light closer to 2900-3000K, but it doesn't seem to effect the "rough service" incandescent bulbs that put out more orange-colored light.

The other factor is that the majority of Chinese products have a reputation to be designed as cheap as possible, and the factory's only concern is to make products that will function for several days after purchase. After that they don't care. The factory only has a need for the buyer not to be able to claim that the seller scammed them or sold them a defective product. But if the product works for a few days after opening the box and then breaks, it becomes much harder for the buyer to complain. Sometimes the products are simply designed to only last 6 months or a year, but then as a consequence of that, a small percentage of the product ends up failing much sooner than that, after only days of use. Chinese electronic manufacturers will cut as many corners as possible to reduce costs and price, trying to compete. They also have lower and different ethical standards than what people are accustomed to from a business in America or Europe.

Part of this is economics. Maybe 60% of the consumers would not have decided to buy that particular product if the cost had been 45 dollars rather than 30 dollars.
And if you have fewer consumers, it also hurts scale of production and increases per unit production and sale costs. So then you end up having to increase price even more, which results in loss of more consumers.

People are less likely to make an impulse buy for something they don't really need when the price is higher.

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the Bell+Howell designs. A couple of others I have looked at seem to have independently controlled "flaps" as opposed to a central driver, which suggests they may not necessarily fail completely. If one part fails (in a safe mode) that could allow continued operation.

Low cost consumer goods for sure, but my observation is pretty good build quality visually though that does not account for quality of components, and proper design esp. thermal.

Dave

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sony bmg renamed because of the negativity surrounding the name.
Remember the audio cd's with a trojan on them?
And the proposed remedy from sony was worse yet.
I bet this fiasco caused more piracy as now you cant trust a cd!