Jet I AAA Jet-u

Magichunter

Newly Enlightened
JETBeamA:

Customer service via Emilion was a huge problem. No responses to emails and it is not unusual for no resolution for repair or replacement of defective units. If Emilion will continue to be be the contact for warranty issues, you can forget about myself and many others buying Jetbeam products again.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any word on a resolution to the defective Jet-u lights?

Has anyone received a newer light with massive output on a 10440 cell?

I am anxious to see which way this will go. In the meantime, maybe DX will come up with a more efficient clone of the Jet-u, and sell it for $25.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Any word on a resolution to the defective Jet-u lights?

Has anyone received a newer light with massive output on a 10440 cell?

I am anxious to see which way this will go. In the meantime, maybe DX will come up with a more efficient clone of the Jet-u, and sell it for $25.

As far as I know, we're all still waiting for our lights.

Apparently, there was a mix-up or an inexperienced clerk, or something and most of the lights recently shipped were shipped out surface mail, and won't be here for two months. :ohgeez:

On the plus side, JetBeam has stepped up and offered acceptable resolution or compensation for this error.

Hopefully, more of these lights will be arriving in our hands in the next few days, and we'll be able to check it out.

I'm sure I'll have 10440s before I have something to put them in, though. :sick2:

Edit: Based on the shipping error customer service experience and some posts I believe I saw to Ernsenada and Regulator, JetBeam should be replacing their defective lights.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent mine back on Wednesday 6/27. I think it can take up to 14 days to arrive. So it will be awhile.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brightness of my Jet I AAA Jet-u was about equal to this key chain light.

v2smallod4.jpg

What level was your Jet-micro (Jet-u) at when the brightness was equal to that of the keychain light?

BGater

Enlightened
Honestly, no excuse for all these problems.....first run or not. Especially at what they cost. Do they not grab a handfull off production.....before shipping them to paying customers........and drop in a battery and turn them on ? Thats all it would take, just test a few instead of shipping out defective products. Probably 2/3's of the buyers will just eat the loss and not go through trying to return them, much more profitable than taking the time to make a quality product that works as it should.

I agree, if it worked it would be fantastic. Looks good, sweet size, nice UI, everything is what I want in a light this size. I hope it gets ironed out. :sigh:

Gimmy

Newly Enlightened
My Jet-u came in today. I can visually tell the difference in brightness when using Duracell Alkaline, Energizer Lithium and UltraFire 10440.

When compared with my Fenix LOD CE I was disappointed. The LOD CE easily out perform the Jet-U in brightness.

When using 10440 on high I realize the beam shot and brightness in the Jet-U is about the same as a Surefire L4 when compared side by side. At that moment I realized that the Jet-u is not so bad, it is just I was comparing it with a bad A$$ light such a the LOD CE.

Can the light be made to perform better.... I think so but I am not going to return mine because I still believe they did okay. I was expecting it to perform about the same or better as my LOD CE at a smaller package and it did not but then how many AAA lights in the market can perform the same as the LOD CE with the same function in a smaller package?

Jetbeam, keep up the good work, competition and demand is a good thing. Love the MKII X, I have three of them.

cloud

Newly Enlightened
Ive been waiting for mine for a good week or so then receive notification that ive been one of the unlucky people thats had his light sent surface mail :mad:

just to add further insult my C-LE v1.2 thats arrived has issues with rough & stiff threads, despite a good cleaning & application of lubricant,coupled with repeated twisting to loosen it up, its done nothing!...
also the base of the battery tube there is a 'pip' left over from machining the tube for the battery to sit on.. this is denting the bottom of the cell to such an unacceptable level I'm concerned it may puncture or deform the bottom of the battery and perhaps cause a leak

looks like Quality control at the factory needs an complete re-think IMO its just not acceptable to produce Cr@p like this

I am in correspondence with jetbeam over the issues mentioned above.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi guys ... just received my Jet-u (sent air mail), and overall output is pretty comparable to my Fenix L0D-CE in all modes on all batteries (including 10440), according to my home lightbox a la Quickbeam method. As pointed out here and elsewhere, light is mostly flood due to the tiny reflector.

On 10440, high mode is within ~15% of the L0D-CE in overall brightness (which is screaming bright!). It's also within 5% of my MkIIX at 100% on 14500, or my Surefire L2 on Hi on primaries (FYI, my L2 is a superb performer, estimated at 120+ lumens). Frankly, I'm pretty impressed so far in early testing.

Doing detailed runtimes right now, will post a full head-to-head review with LOD-CE within the next couple of days.

veleno

Enlightened
I was very interested in this flashlight, but it seems a "Russian roulette" ordering one. I think quality and service are not good for the price... :ohgeez::sigh:

I still hope to see better reviews in future.

faco

Enlightened
If SUREFIRE or McGizmo (Don) make a AAA flashlight then you know it will be good.
If all the problems with this Jet are sorted out I might decide to try one out.........

Grumpy

Enlightened
Received my lights.

I like the body design and size of the light. Very good size for EDC.

Love the floody beam. Seems plenty bright on 1.5 volt energizer battery.

Don't like the stiff threads and or O-ring. Cleaned and still to hard to turn on.
(I would like the light much better if the threads and or O-ring were better)

Will try out on Li-Ion when I purchase batteries and charger.

gunga

Flashaholic
Just to be complete, here are my observations (also mostly seen in selfbuilt's great comparo with the LOD-CE).

-----------------------------------------------------
Okay, I just got my Jet-u, and own the LF2 (cree) and used to own an LOD CE. THe LOD CE is gone so I'm going on memory only.

A few observations on the jet-u:

- Wow, that's a really wide, smooth flood. It has no throw tho and feels a bit weak due to the flood but is good for close range stuff.
- It's small and beautiful. Wish other lights could be this nice.
- The bottom is a bit narrow for tailstanding, but it does work.
- It needs a post it note on most cells to reduce battery rattle.
- It came with insanely dirty threads, but after a good clean and lube, is super smooth.
- The memory feature is pretty good. It is a benefit if you like to start on low etc. It can be a bit flakey at times, but is generally good.
- I can notice the PWM at times, but it's not bad.
- Performance on 10440 is a bit scary. Turns blue on high and heats up after 30 secs. Gets quite hot on medium too. It IS brighter of course.

I think I will try to EDC this light (using ni-mh). It's small and beautiful, feels great in the hand, and the close to low-medium range performance is quite good due to the flood.

A few notes about the competition:

- THe Fenix is a definite pocket canon. Great light and good for many CPFers. Too bad it has no low mode on 10440 and the finish is slippery and a bit thin.
- The Liteflux LF2 is great on 10440, giving a nice wall of light (at 50%) a low low, and over discharge protection. It's not a canon like the Fenix, but might be my favorite AAA light. It's also good with ni-mh but the overdischarge protection works much better with 10440s.

Hmmm, I will have to play around to see which light to EDC...

-------------------------------------------------

THe jetbeam is still pretty cool, but won't impress you with it's output. I like to think of it as a high tech replacement for the Arc-AAA (about the same size too!)

I'll EDC it for a little while and report back...

mchlwise

Enlightened
...think of it as a high tech replacement for the Arc-AAA (about the same size too!)

:D Yeah, I think this sentence is the best assessment of this light.

It's built VERY well, pretty close to Arc quality, and looks very good. When I first showed it to my wife, she said "Oooh... it's handsome."

Like the Arc, it's not a thrower - it's a close-range flood light. That being said, it puts out a LOT of light for a long distance.

It's kind of an interesting beam, and takes some getting used to. At first it doesn't seem like it's putting out very much light, because there's no "hotspot" to speak of. But then you turn it off, and realize you can't see anything anymore, where when it was on you could see everything around you. When you have it on and move it around a little bit paying attention to the shadows, you can see this thing really is putting out a BUNCH of light.

At first I was disappointed, but the more I play with it, the more I like it. :thumbsup:

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
This is my favorite light currently. The form factor is far and away the best in the AAA class IMO. There a few niggling details which keep it from being perfect but it seems like that is the case with every light unfortunately.

I have a couple of the Fenix LOD lights in various configurations and they are smooth turning and wicked bright. But the one feature which puts the JetBeam on top besides form factor is the memory that allows you to start the light on low.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my replacement today - Thanks Jetbeam (Elaine). Everything appears to be working fine.

I do not think I will be trying a lithium ion cell due to some of the reports of high heat buildup and also no advantage in efficiency. The test done by others on low do not show a vast improvement over what a NiMh cell does on medium.

Generally I like the light. It is the best looking and built AAA light IMO. It appears to put out the listed lumens using a NiMh cell. I only wish it was a bit more efficient - some energy appears to be waisted in heat in medium mode.

I really like the simple UI with the memorize last mode feature. I am looking forward to a similar UI in the upcamming CR123 light (that I think may look similar to the Hyperion light being talked about). The Jetbeam UI would give it the advantage.