JetBeam Backup BC40 (XM-L) High-Output Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

Jerrycobra

Newly Enlightened
hey anyone here have issues with batteries fitting inside this light? i used cheap ultrafires and they fit fine in the light. now i switched to button top tenergy batteries, that are about 1mm longer than the UF, at 69mm. when i close the cap, the springs bottom out, and actually dented the bottom on the cell, anyone else have this problem? and to solve this will flat tops work?

sbbsga

Enlightened
Mine is using AW protected 3100mAh but I once tested it with Intl-Outdoor protected 3100mAh and they were too long. I remembered tightening the head and the button top shaved a bit of the reverse polarity disc near the spring. No dent on any of them though.

Sonomaholiday

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review selfbuilt!

I'm a big fan of the Jetbeam BC series. I just picked up the BC40 and BC10 and I was really surprised how great the lights were given the price point.

Specifically, with regard to the BC40, as you pointed out, it's very reminiscient of the Streamlight Stinger that I used to carry so I'm a big fan of the form factor and the very simple Hi-Lo UI. And I agree, I wish it had a bit more knurling rather than the smooth ring design on the tube portion of the light.

My Catapult seems to outperform the BC40 but it is also considerably heavier and bulkier than the BC40. The BC40 is much easier to carry than the Catapult.

Time will only tell if the BC40 holds up to routine use/carry, but initial observations look promising.

As far as the cigar ring (grip ring)...I just placed a thin O-ring from another light in between the cigar ring (grip ring) and the body tube and the pressure from the tightened tail cap on the cigar ring (grip ring) prevents it from spinning at all and it stays firmly in place. It does a good job of preventing it from rolling off the hood of the car when I have to place it down.

Overall, I'm very happy with the BC40.[/Q

I wanted something lightweight and durable for walking a dog or many dogs at night -it is easy to hold with multiple leashes or retractible ones. Also my dog just had cataract surgery and doesn't see that well at night- with this flashlight it's like daytime!

Kokopelli

Enlightened
I have two BC40s and one of them doesn't work if I put on the cigar grip. It tightens really tight and I guess it breaks the contact between body and cap. Anybody had this?

Fykantrollet

Newly Enlightened
I've had the BC40 for some months now. My impressions:

Positives:
+ Great range for the price.

Negatives:
- It has a definitive bright ring on the edge of the spot. I find this annoying.
- The low mode is not good. When I twist the head it often flickers between high and low. I need just a slight twist to enter low mode, but at least a quarter turn to have it stay safely in low mode. And then the head is wobbly, and if you touch it it can go off or in high mode. Not good, but maybe it's just my unit.
- It is too large when compared with the latest comparable lights.

It's an ok light, but I would not buy it again.

lumenjedi1

Newly Enlightened
I have the bc40 when it first came out.been using for 2 years now.great light I now have the bc40w with smooth reflector and white light.this light is a work horse the beam has more of tight spot in middle class a light,I droped my old one a zillion times no prob what so ever

shaq

Newly Enlightened
I have the bc40 when it first came out.been using for 2 years now.great light I now have the bc40w with smooth reflector and white light.this light is a work horse the beam has more of tight spot in middle class a light,I droped my old one a zillion times no prob what so ever

my clicky switch failed .couldn't find replacement anywherefor a few months finally installed a similar switch from fasttec

Capolini

Banned
Great review SB and a great light, especially for the price and the quality that comes with it. I got mine for $60.00 in November of 2012. It was my first decent light, which is now getting more use again!

Ciao,,,,,Roberto,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Shuutr

Newly Enlightened
Got mine a few days ago. $50 on amazon. Partially due to the good review here. Thanks guys.

No holster with mine, but I don't plan on carrying.

Danbo

Enlightened
Ordered one of these this morning, for under $50 shipped at going gear. Don't believe I'll regret it. Seems like a lot of light for not a lot of money.

Snooker

Newly Enlightened
BC40 SE review ?!...

Hi SB :)

:thanks: great job for all the reviews, that helped me a lot to understand the world of LED lamps and so choosing my lights :goodjob:

You think make a review of the "BC40 SE" ?

I ordered this lamp and I wait impatiently the delivery but I think autonomy is really a giant leap from the previous version.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: BC40 SE review ?!...

You think make a review of the "BC40 SE" ? I ordered this lamp and I wait impatiently the delivery but I think autonomy is really a giant leap from the previous version.
Sorry, no plans to review that light as yet. Not sure what you mean by autonomy though.

My recent review of the BC25 SE might give you some idea what to expect from build.

And :welcome:

Snooker

Newly Enlightened

OK thank you very much (for all ;)), I will read this review with interest.

About autonomy I just compared the FL1 manufacturer data between BC40 (XM-L2 2x18650) and BC40SE (XM-L2 2x18650 too).

6148002013831134438620.jpg

562709201475133534903.jpg

From 1,50h to 3,95h more than double :eek:

That's why I looking forward to reading your test...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

From 1,50h to 3,95h more than double :eek: That's why I looking forward to reading your test...
Ah, I see. I hate to disappoint you, but the most likely explanation is that they have added a step-down feature to the Hi mode. They are using the same emitter and same battery source, so there's not going to be any significant efficiency gains on that front.

Note that my guess would be consistent with this promotional material phrase I just saw on one website: "Advanced power management circuit maximizes runtime and well [SIC] protect the flashlight from overheating". That usually means a step-down to extend the runtime. As you will see in my BC25se review, there are in fact two distinct step-downs on that model.

Snooker

Newly Enlightened

OK I see, I suspected that there was an electronic trick, but I never imagined that manufacturers are lying so many.

Because if the standard has not changed (between this two lamps) and there is no 980 lumens emitted during 3:54 it's just a marketing lie. This FL1 standard has as many credibility than used car salesman.
:D

Too bad, I thought he had developed this standard to gain credibility...

In any case I should be satisfied with my purchase because I did not own this type of lamp and I paid it only 35€ delivered ;)

Thx for explanation :)