JetBeam C-LE v2.0 review with comparison to previous versions: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Would love to see a beamshot VS a Fenix L1D-CE.

Is the reflector smooth or stipple on the jet??
The reflector is textured on the v2.0, just like on all the previous versions.

For a beamshot comparison of the v1.2 (which is the same head) to the Fenix L1D-CE, see my multi-stage AA round up.

I'd also like to see a lower low in the v2.0. I really like my v1.0, but often will grab the Rexlight because its low is less than the C-LE while having a slightly higher high.
I only wish the low setting on the v2 was the same output as the v1 - it's already bright enough for a low.

I hear you guys - that is one of the great things about the Rex 2.1, its nice and low low mode. But the v1.2/v2.0 is still lower than a bunch of other lights.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
v1 (and earlier DX version) have a different diameter thickness, and so are not compatible with v1.2/v2.0 heads. The new v2.0 head will work on a v1.2 body, but not the other way around (i.e. a v1.2 head will NOT work on new v2.0 body). There seems to be a slight difference in how the body makes contact with the head.
Thanks for answering. Interestingly Jetbeam says they are compatible. :thinking:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any way to tell which version of the CL-E I've got? I know it's the one that was shipping a while back with the hidden beacon mode, which was supposed to signify that it was 14500 capable.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any way to tell which version of the CL-E I've got? I know it's the one that was shipping a while back with the hidden beacon mode, which was supposed to signify that it was 14500 capable.
I think that's a 1.0, but I haven't kept up on this enough to say for sure that newer ones didn't do the same.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yes, that's a v1. The first batch of v1 from the group buys had a hidden beacon mode, and so would take 14500 (although not stably - many burnt out their lights after moderate use). Inadequate heatsinking was the a likely culprit there. Later shipping versions of v1 lack the beacon mode (and would burn out immediately on 14500). I don't believe a version change was ever noted. To make matters more confusing, the DX X.V seems to be an earlier beta-test version of the v1 head that lacks the beacon mode.

v1.2 is easier to identify thanks to its memory mode, much higher PWM, and thicker diameter and threads.

As for the v1.2/v2.0 head compatibility, I notice someone else also reported here that the v1.2 head doesn't work on v2.0 body. Not sure why.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find, ,,
the 1.2 head will work on the 2.0, sometimes, depending on the battery type. Mine, will not thread down far enough to make good contact all the time. Others, may have different threading samples allowing there's to thread further. Even though it may work, it doesn't look right and the o-ring is ineffective.

As far as the 2.0 head on the 1.2 goes, mine will thread on ok,(it tends to want to gall up though and gets real tight) but there's still end play in the battery so it won't light. If a proper spacer was added to the base, and the foam cushion to the head, so the battery didn't rattle, and the threading was made to word ok, so you can twist on&off, it would probably work then. It's not worth all that in my opinion. What's the sense. They both work great as they are. ;)

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my v2.0 yesterday - thanks to lightning fast ship from BugOutGearUSA. And thanks to Flavio for making a last minute change in color for me. Unfortunately Jetbeam is holding true to it's lack of quality control from my own experience. This is my 3rd Jetbeam and everyone has had some issue with poor quality. The light seems to work fine and for a non-flashaholic might have been fine. But it has a major amount of glue that appears right on the top of the LED dome and about 1/2 of the head has glue showing on the outside where apparently the front half of the head is glued to the back part. I also guess I had expected it to be a bit brighter for a newer Cree light but most of my other same size Cree lights are brighter. That's not to say I don't like it as they really do have the feel/knurling and size on these to a level that is excellent and very appealing. Price is nice too and the tail switch a very nice addition. I really like the UI on these too. I will also say I can't tell that the glue on the LED does anything negative to the beam pattern. The LED also appears to not be mounted flat (tilted). It looks like there is a lot of glue holding the LED to the reflector too which tells me these are not readily upgradable. So for me it's probably a keeper for now or a gift down the road for a non-flashaholic.
One other noteworthy thing - A Firefly II (and probably I and III) head fits very nicely in the v2 body. So just add a AA Lithium-Ion 3.6 volt battery and you've got a tailswitching Firefly!

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... I got my v2.0 light from BugOutGear also. Quick service.

But my v2.0 is clearly brighter than my 1.2. It doesn't "blow it away" but you can see it. I don't know if I have an underachieving 1.2 or an overachieving 2.0. :thinking: I ordered a 2d 2.0 for a friend, and once we get that going, I'll have a chance to compare it to my two. I'm curious, but it's understandable if no one else is. If there's anything noteworthy, I'll report back.

I had no quality issues with my 2.0 to speak of. I prefer the look and feel to a Fenix.

I'm happy with the brightness of the my 1.2, that was never an issue, it's just that there is a noticeable difference between my two. Seems more than what selfbuilt shows in his review. Most likely just a sample to sample thing.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the quality and color of the finish (I have Natural). I also like how it tail stands very well. As others have noted the split ring notch though in the tail is surprisingly sharp. I think someone forgot some machining there. I would try to touch it up, but I don't want to ruin the finish. The light output is so so; not too impressive but very useful, unfortunately I can't locate my RR 1A right now for a side-by-side.

The UI though really is bugging me. With the Fenix lights since you always start at the same mode you don't have to cycle through the special strobe and SOS modes unless you miss your desired mode during cycling (rare). I wish there was a special click sequence to get the special modes, or they just weren't there.

The mode memory on the Jet is quite nice if you primarily use it in 1 mode. Otherwise you will often have to cycle through the special modes to get it to the mode you want. I really don't like this. Is there any trick to get it to return to the bottom (med) from low or high?

As a single mode light, I like it. Otherwise I say I prefer the interface on the P1D or the L2T.

Even as a single mode light though, that rear switch is pretty easy to hit and change the mode.

I'm thinking about these as gifts, because of the nice quality and AA battery, but that interface... I need to let someone who is not familar with these things try it and see what they say.