JetBeam Jet-I MK IBS Review: Runtimes, Beamshots, Pics, Ramps + UPDATE: Shipping ver!

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a MKII X on CPFM a short time back.

I'm glad PWM is fast in the newer models because it's WAAY noticeable in this MKII X!!

I just did the taller button thing. It helps but the switch and the plastic holder look like crap!

Now I read that unless I buy one of these off CPFM I couldn't get one.

I think based on this MKII X (which looks and feels good anyhow) I'll go for a Liteflux instead!

Not sure I understand but is yours a Jetbeam Jet- I Pro v. 2.0? Trade for a new Proton Pro?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Mine is a MK.II X

Either (well shoot, can't find the book just now) Med/low/high/strobe (I think) or Turbo/Strobe/5/10/20 etc. or something like that.

The brighter it is of course the less PWM.

But at very low output I can dang near SEE it pulsing.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Not sure I understand but is yours a Jetbeam Jet- I Pro v. 2.0? Trade for a new Proton Pro?
No as JET-I MK.II X was basically the first Cree version (a P4 bin) of the old 1xAA style of the original JET-1 MK.1/MK.2 (have both). The JET-I Pro your thinking of is a different style, with a bigger head and basically a 1AA/14500 version of the JET-III Pro.

In fact the JET-I MK.II X is in a picture beside the IBS version and compared with in first post of this very thread.

Yes the Jetbeam naming scheme was a bit confusing in past... an example thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2608704&postcount=2 before the JET-III-M came out.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
No as JET-I MK.II X was basically the first Cree version (a P4 bin) of the old 1xAA style of the original JET-1 MK.1/MK.2 (have both). ... Yes the Jetbeam naming scheme was a bit confusing in past.
Ain't that the truth. ;)

As flashy pointed out, the Jet-I MK.II.X was the first Cree (P4) version of the original Jet-I form factor. I tested the PWM of the MK.II.X and found it to be 120Hz in most modes (the sensitivity of my setup doesn't allow for measurement at really low outputs). I believe the PWM of the earlier MK.II was just under 100Hz.

The MK.II.X was followed by the MK.II.R (originally named because it was going to have a Rebel, but JetBeam eventually released it with a higher output bin Cree instead - Q3?). I don't know what the PWM freq was on that one.

The Jet-I MK.II IBS (as it was first called) had an undetectable PWM frequency and was the first iteration of the IBS continuously-variable interface. This light was subsequently renamed the Jet-I MK.I IBS during development, and then finally called the Jet-I MK IBS when the shipping version was released. AFAIK, it is no longer available anywhere.

The Jet-I PRO (non-IBS version) had a different form factor and defined output levels. It was replaced by the similar-looking Jet-I PRO IBS that has a revised IBS interface (i.e. lower max output on 14500 than the Jet-I MK IBS, but more linear ramp on standard batteries). PWM remains undetectable. AFAIK, this is the only 1xAA light currently available from JetBeam.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
All I can say with any degree of certainty is that this MK.II X has three wires, a rather toward to the blue side tint and bothersome to MY eyes PWM at the lower output levels.

I think it might go on my trade page over at CPFM....

bexamous

Newly Enlightened
Is this light ridiculously bright? I bought this when it came out and I've noticed lights since don't ever seem as impressive.

Selfbuilt, are numbers comparable between all your reviews?

Eg the Jet1MK IBS from this review shows 95 for 'output' and 9.8lux in ceiling bounce.

Comparing these numbers to data from 18650 lights in JetBeam RRT-2 review... there is really only 2 lights that are brighter than this? Seems odd.

Lagerregal

Newly Enlightened
I think you are right. I sadly destroyed my mk IBS a few days ago (my fault), but till then it was my brightest 1AA light. Now i am trying to find a acceptable replacement.
In comparison to the most actual lights it was really hard-driven (my sample pulled about 2A from a fresh 14500). Most light today seem to be driven between 700mA and 1A, what is better for the lifetime of the battery and the LED...
After I destroyed it I examinded the driver and noticed some discoloration of the board due to the heat generation. But I edc'ed it for about 15 month and never had any problem or malfunction.
So I think i will get another Jetbeam, the Jet-1 pro 3.0 q3 5a... which is obviously overall not as bright, but has better throw, better runtime and better color rendition. Would be nice to see that light with its new IBS-driver reviewed by selfbuilt, too :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Is this light ridiculously bright? I bought this when it came out and I've noticed lights since don't ever seem as impressive.
Selfbuilt, are numbers comparable between all your reviews?
Eg the Jet1MK IBS from this review shows 95 for 'output' and 9.8lux in ceiling bounce.
Comparing these numbers to data from 18650 lights in JetBeam RRT-2 review... there is really only 2 lights that are brighter than this? Seems odd.
Yup, the output, throw and ceiling bounce numbers are all comparable between my reviews - my testing setup hasn't changed. The original Jet-I MK IBS was driven incredibly hard on 1xLi ion (as were some earlier generation 1AA lights made toward the end of the luxeon era). JetBeam soon reduced max output to more reasonable levels for long-term stability and battery runtime.

So I think i will get another Jetbeam, the Jet-1 pro 3.0 q3 5a... which is obviously overall not as bright, but has better throw, better runtime and better color rendition. Would be nice to see that light with its new IBS-driver reviewed by selfbuilt, too :)
Could be, I'm in discussion with a dealer for that one :whistle: ... but I have a backlog of half-a-dozen or so lights to get through first, so it would like be a while even if I receive one.

Latest posts