JetBeam JET-I PRO (Cree R2) 1AA Review: Beamshots, Runtimes, and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
IYou can focus it and get a floodier hot spot as opposed to a tight hot spot. It throws well for a light its size.
Thanks Wade, I forgot to mention this in the review. Yup, you can unscrew the portion of the head with the reflector, and defocus the hotspot somewhat.

I wouldn't really call it floodier, since it doesn't affect much else but the peak hotspot shape and dimensions. For all my testing, I kept it fully focused for max throw.

:wave:

CandleFranky

Enlightened
Today I've got my JetBeam JET-I PRO and I want to give you a first feedback:

1) The lights are always smaller then expected. They seem to be so big on the photos and at least small in your hands. :grin2:

2) The JetBeam JET-I PRO is a real impressive mini-thrower for your pocket, but as expected, it is dim in the light of a Regalight WT1.

3) It looks stylish and feels good in your hand. The quality seems to be okay, but I would say the quality of a Fenix L1D is even better.

4) My JET-I PRO takes (rechargeable Eneloop) AA cells and 14500 Li-Ion cells from AW. But it does NOT take protected Ultrafire 14500 from Dealextreme, because they are definitly to long. :caution:

5) The low mode is not ultra low, but it's okay. From light output, medium and high seems to be near to each other, which makes no sense.

Perhaps more later ... :popcorn:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
4) My JET-I PRO takes (rechargeable Eneloop) AA cells and 14500 Li-Ion cells from AW. But it does NOT take protected Ultrafire 14500 from Dealextreme, because they are definitly to long. :caution:
Thanks for the observations CandleFranky.

Interesting about the protected Ultrafire. I notice my protected AWs make it hard to screw the tailcap on all the way. This is common on most high-end JB lights that have a spring on the positive battery terminal in the head. Frankly, I suspect this is why they don't anodize the tailcap threads to allow lock-out - they need to leave some space for longer cells and still allow you to turn on the light.

CandleFranky

Enlightened
I notice my protected AWs make it hard to screw the tailcap on all the way.
I have brandnew 14500s from AW. They are a lot smaller then the Ultrafires and their size fits okay in the JET-I Pro, although the batterie sits very firm. :eek:

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
I'm having trouble removing the "light engine" portion from the body of the JET-I Pro. The part with the reflector screws off, but i can't unscrew the part with the pill. I want to take off the clip, but i need to remove the portion that holds the LED first. Any suggestions? Thanks

marc123

Newly Enlightened
illmatic,
it sounds like one of the o-rings might be pinched. I had this same problem on mine, I just used some cotton clothing to get a better grip and it came undone.

I must say that this is a very very bright light for a single AA and it's output on high is much more than I was expecting. I do have some blemishes in my anodised finish and some of the lettering is not consistant in colour. I also a chip on the clip and a very ringy beam but overall I like this light.

I think when Jetbeam fix the runtimes on med and low this will be the best AA out there. It is a good thrower but the beam is still very usful for general purpose work too. I just hope they offer a warrant replacement for the current emitter to reward those who supported Jetbeam with an early purchase. Fingers crossed....

Dogshund

Newly Enlightened
I agree with everything CandleFranky wrote in his description. This little light has great throw and looks fantastic! I never use med anyway so low and High is perfect. Low is not too low or too bright. I like it.

Its true, they always look alot bigger in the photos compared to when you unpack them!

Medium doesn't bother me, longer Low runtimes would be handy but other than that, its great!! My finish it perfect all around.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm having trouble removing the "light engine" portion from the body of the JET-I Pro. The part with the reflector screws off, but i can't unscrew the part with the pill. I want to take off the clip, but i need to remove the portion that holds the LED first. Any suggestions? Thanks
use two rubber mouse matts,aids the grip.:twothumbs

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the suggestions guys...tried using rubber grips and pliers...still won't even budge...ha3 is taking a beating from the friction from the clip now...really stumped as to how to get this thing off...two other people tried to help and it just won't budge...any other ideas =(

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the suggestions guys...tried using rubber grips and pliers...still won't even budge...ha3 is taking a beating from the friction from the clip now...really stumped as to how to get this thing off...two other people tried to help and it just won't budge...any other ideas =(

give it to me? :whistle:

you could try to boil the flashlight to loosen the glue or use a hot iron to heat up the body. stuff like that.

Dog Chaser

Enlightened
On the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay
Thanks for the great review Selfbuilt. A couple of people have mentioned the rings in the beam. The light is bright, but there were way too many artifacts for my liking. As a result, I did some work on the reflector. I painted some glass etching paste to the inside of the reflector and let it sit for a while. After washing the paste out, the reflective layer pealed right off. Now the hotspot remains very bright, but gradually flows into a fantastic flood. Best of all there are no artifacts. It does cut down on the throw a bit, but I would never go back to the smooth reflector... not that I could. Try it, you'll like it.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
That is odd, as mine came apart quite easily (no glue or loctite). On some loctited lights I've had reasonably good success with rubber strap wrenches (often in combination with my table-top vice with rubber grips). But there have been cases where I just had to give up. :shakehead

Sorry to hear your troubles - it's tough to know what else to try beyond the other suggestions made here. Even with great care, it can be pretty easy to mar the finish with more agressive measures.

Thanks for the great review Selfbuilt. A couple of people have mentioned the rings in the beam. ... does cut down on the throw a bit, but I would never go back to the smooth reflector... not that I could. Try it, you'll like it.
Interesting method. I've experimented with "sputtering" reflectors with high gloss clear acrylic, and it can work fairly well with only a small loss of output.

But personally, rings don't bother me, and I like a nice defined hotspot on my throwers (textured ones tend to reduce the "spotlight" effect of the hotspot). Textured reflectors are nice on indoor-use lights, but I personally prefer smooth reflectors on outdoor throwers. To each his own ... :whistle:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
@illmatic,I Had this problem with a spear,although I removed the LE and submerged the head part in boiling water for about 2mins..hey presto! if you can trust the water-proofing give it a go.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for a great review!

Maybe its just me but, the way a company ships, packs, and makes a box for their product tells me on how much they care about their business and how much pride they have on their product. (just my opinion)
Excellent review! And no it's not just you. When you receive an item in a half crushed box that's not a good deal. Combined with what I consider to be mediocre runtimes this is a no go for me. I'll wait and see what kind of fixes Jet comes up with. My C-LE V2 light was a foul ball as well so I'm waiting on this one. :thumbsdow

CandleFranky

Enlightened
Today I've got my JetBeam JET-I PRO and I want to give you a first feedback:

... 4) My JET-I PRO takes (rechargeable Eneloop) AA cells and 14500 Li-Ion cells from AW. But it does NOT take protected Ultrafire 14500 from Dealextreme, because they are definitly to long. :caution: ...
Okay, here I am again, now with experiences after a week of using -->

The 14500 Li-Ion cells from AW fit, but however seems a little bit to big for the JET-I pro. Depending on how tight I screw the tailcap on the body, I get contact problems which means no light in one position. This is no big problem, but I would expect more from a $80 flashlight. :(

In addition, the "-" metal from my brandnew 14500 cell is scratched heavily from the Jet-I Pro Spring. The Eneloops fits better. :faint:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
CandleFranky, are the guts of the tailcap screwed down far enough? If you adjust them you have to be careful because the retaining ring is plastic, so don't force it or over tigthen it. :)

I know I still need to get up CL1H beam shots, but it's been raining here the past couple nights. :)

CandleFranky

Enlightened
CandleFranky, are the guts of the tailcap screwed down far enough?
Yes, it's already very tight. No big deal, because AW 14500 fits and Eneloops fits perfect.

I know I still need to get up CL1H beam shots, but it's been raining here the past couple nights. :)
WadeF, where is your problem, because Dereelights are waterproof. :laughing: