JetBeam PA40 (XM-L T6, 4xAA, Carbon Fiber body) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & more!

sessnur

Newly Enlightened
Re: JetBeam PA40 (XM-L T6, 4xAA, Carbon Fiber body) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, ...

Were you the one who contacted me via YouTube? If yes, then you may want to email the sellers that were included in my reply. I received your reply's notification but I was unable to read your message because YouTube somehow deleted it.

I hope you will find the OP version.

Yeah I contacted you over YouTube, didn't know how often you visit this site. Thanks for detailed answer by the way.
I resent you the message, but if you could do a video or take some pictures of comparison between PA40W OP and PA40W SMO, wall shots or some shots from outside. It would be great, so that I and others who are interested in OP/SMO gain/loss can see where we stand. From pictures of PA40 I would say that it has relatively concentrated beam, what I would rather not have.
Is SMO really that tight? And OP that good? (in this case of course)

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

knakkers

Newly Enlightened
Re: JetBeam PA40 (XM-L T6, 4xAA, Carbon Fiber body) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & mo

PA40's awkward diagonal tail never suited my wide thumbs, so this is how my OP "W" looks now...

1t6hyh.jpg

It never could tailstand properly, anywayz :)

Cheers

Hi all!

I decided to register to this great forum to highlight something to the uninitiated...

Please, please wear the appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment) when working with carbon fibre/graphite - I suggest gloves and respirator at the minimum and try to minimise the dust by keeping it "wet". It is nasty stuff once cured, and the health warnings for a lot of countries may not be up to date. On a side note - that is a nice rework tam17!

BobMc

Newly Enlightened
Re: JetBeam PA40 (XM-L T6, 4xAA, Carbon Fiber body) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & mo

Thanks for the great review of the PA 40,I ordered mine yesterday,and it should be here tomorrow.I am new here so hello all,I've learned a lot reading about batteries and charging systems here as well,thanks everyone :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks for the great review of the PA 40,I ordered mine yesterday,and it should be here tomorrow.I am new here so hello all,I've learned a lot reading about batteries and charging systems here as well,thanks everyone :)
Hope you enjoy the light, and :welcome:

pblanch

Enlightened

2 1/2 years since I got mine. Still going strong. Recently bought a JB SRA40. Compared to the PA40 feels like carrying a brick and now is banished to the car. The high is better than the PA40 but then drops down after 3 minutes. I can live with that as it is a great spotlight and as a car torch is fine. The PA40 is still being kept in my travel bag though. Still very happy with it after lugging the SRA40 around. Very surprised the 4AA hasn't that much completion although the recent 4AA love makes it hopeful that ZL will come out with the magical unicorn that is/was the Q50 (was almost in tears when the S3360 was scrapped - was waiting for a second/third gen product to come out). Maybe a good thing as I prefer the AA format.

afau led

Newly Enlightened

Hi guys. I'm new in this forum. I need help. I have a Jetbeam PA40. Can anyone here help me where to the get the rubber o-rings? And can be shipped international. The local distributor here is unable to assist me. Thanks in advance.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Hi guys. I'm new in this forum. I need help. I have a Jetbeam PA40. Can anyone here help me where to the get the rubber o-rings? And can be shipped international. The local distributor here is unable to assist me. Thanks in advance.
Tracking down exact-size o-rings can be tricky, if the manufacturer doesn't provide a dedicated source. You can try local hardware stores (ones that specialize in plumbing in particular would be most helpful) - although I find many are often too thick.

There are online flashlight vendors who cell bulks flashlight o-rings (often of mixed sizes) - check out the inexpensive "deal sites" in particular. The point is that all o-rings have give in them, so exact size matching ahead of time will be difficult (i.e., depends on how one measures). I've never found a good solution aside from trial and error, unfortunately.

Good luck!

afau led

Newly Enlightened

Tracking down exact-size o-rings can be tricky, if the manufacturer doesn't provide a dedicated source. You can try local hardware stores (ones that specialize in plumbing in particular would be most helpful) - although I find many are often too thick.

There are online flashlight vendors who cell bulks flashlight o-rings (often of mixed sizes) - check out the inexpensive "deal sites" in particular. The point is that all o-rings have give in them, so exact size matching ahead of time will be difficult (i.e., depends on how one measures). I've never found a good solution aside from trial and error, unfortunately.

Good luck!

Yup I agreed. Tracking down the exact size o-rings can be tricky.

Thanks selbuilt!:thumbsup:

revscott

Newly Enlightened

I just got the PA40, but had some questions. I want to make sure I didn't get a fake.

Mine came in a tan cardboard box with Jetbeam branding on it, not the clamshell case in this review. The box only contained the flashlight, a lanyard, and a spare rubber switch and oring. It came with a smooth reflector and the battery indicator looks slightly different (it sticks up higher and seems more transparent than the one in this video).

Seems like there are several versions, and I just want to make sure I know what I got.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine came with the clamshell but that was a good while ago. I believe I had heard that some of them came with the smooth reflector so maybe not an issue. Can you post some pics?

revscott

Newly Enlightened

I have never posted pics on this forum. I can't find the "photos & albums" link in the User Control Panel.

I'm curious if my PA40 is an older version/newer version or possibly a fake.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I have never posted pics on this forum. I can't find the "photos & albums" link in the User Control Panel.
I'm curious if my PA40 is an older version/newer version or possibly a fake.
Hard to say without pics. Not sure if there are usage restrictions, but there is an option for some of us to browse our local drives when clicking on the image icon in the reply panel button bar. Typically though, most images are hosted elsewhere (photobucket in my case), with a link provide through the image icon/tag.

Since this review is over 3.5 years old, it's quite likely things changed over time for this model. It is probably fine.

revscott

Newly Enlightened

2ilk5fo.jpg
[/IMG]
No clamshell box with holster. Just a simple cardboard box.
mjmpw6.jpg
[/IMG]
The Batt Indicator looks different to me, but I'm not sure.
f4mxkn.jpg
[/IMG]
Here is the smooth reflector.

I just want to make sure it's not a fake. This is my first purchase of a Jetbeam product, so I have no reference point for their products.

Last edited:

Taz80

Enlightened

It looks the same as mine so I'd say its the real thing.

revscott

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I didn't think this was worth starting a new one. I guess Jetbeam changed their packaging to cut down on costs. Maybe that's why I got a good deal.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I didn't think this was worth starting a new one. I guess Jetbeam changed their packaging to cut down on costs. Maybe that's why I got a good deal.
Yes, that looks real. Jetbeam certainly used that style of packaging on a number of lights for several years. It is probably just a later version of the model, with some updated features. Who knows, you may even have an updated output bin in there. :)