JetBeam Raptor RRT-3 XM-L -- Ultrafire 18650's don't fit

mhc723

Newly Enlightened
I got a new JetBeam Raptor RRT-3 XM-L for Xmas, with UltraFire 18650 XSL 2600 mah batteries. I charged the batteries, put them in the carrier, and tried to push the carrier into the flashlight. It was a really tight fit. I pushed harder. The flashlight doesn't turn on, and I can't get the carrier out. I called the vendor. They tried putting another set of the same batteries into another one of the same flashlight, and said they're tight, but they fit. I've returned the flashlight and batteries to the vendor; I'm hoping they resolve it somehow.

It seems as though either the diameter of the batteries isn't consistent, or the inside of the flashlight body isn't as big as it's supposed to be. I bought six batteries and they all look the same. They were pretty tight in the charger too, so it's probably the batteries.

Has anyone else run into something like this? Are the 2600 mah batteries thicker than the 2400 mah ones?

theix

Newly Enlightened
I believe different battery brands have different sizes. Jetbeam 2300mAh 18650 and AW 2900mAh 18650 fits my RRT-3 (both 3*XM-L and SST-50) just fine.

mhc723

Newly Enlightened
I believe different battery brands have different sizes. Jetbeam 2300mAh 18650 and AW 2900mAh 18650 fits my RRT-3 (both 3*XM-L and SST-50) just fine.

Thanks. I'll see what the vendor says, and switch battery brands if necessary.

DM51

Flashaholic
Ultrafire batteries are notorious for inconsistency and unreliability. You would do well to choose a better brand.

RCLumens

Enlightened
Hello MHc. You should look for batteries that are around 18.2 to 18.4 mm in size. As DM51 states there are some inconsistent brands out there. My particulat jet beam 2300 mah were very tight and I had to spin them to get them to fit. My AW's 2200 fit perfect and would assume as their states the 2900 flat tops should also fit quite well. Only other alternative would be to sand down the plastic posts to make room for a wider set of batteries. Great light though!

mhc723

Newly Enlightened
Thanks DM51 and RCLumens. Battery Junction said the 2400 Ultrafires fit, and they're shipping the flashlight back to me with those. (They said they don't have another brand available to try). If the 2400's are too tight, or next time I need batteries, I'll look for one of the ones you suggest.

RCLumens

Enlightened
Best of luck MHc! Light hound in Texas sells the AW's for a god price, as does bugoutgearusa.com based in MA. The guys at Batteryjunction are grate and I've always had gat service with them, but they don't carry the AW's. Cheers and hny! Rc