JETBeam RRT-0 Overview With Lots of Pictures

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TC-R2 S2 and only now, with the CR123 almost depleted, it seems to flick once only, when I turn it on.

I was wondering if anyone has much experience using rechargeable RCR's on the RRT-0?
Compared to a single disposable CR123 @ 1500 mAH capacity, does anyone find that a single rechargeable 16340 @ just 800 or 880 mAH does NOT provide adequate, or too short a run time, and requiring too frequent a battery changes?

fyrstormer

Banned
I've been carrying my TC-R2 pretty much continuously for the past two months; I got it very early this year, and I got a new job before the honeymoon ended with the TC-R2, so I've been too busy adjusting to my new job and taking care of home stuff to bother thinking about which light to carry. I suppose that's a compliment to the TC-R2, that it does what I need and does it reliably enough that I haven't had to think about it.

I'd say I have to change the battery about once every 9-10 days. I use a protected RCR123, and on occasion it will simply shut off while I'm using it. I tend to use it at full brightness normally, so I can usually eke a few more minutes of runtime by dialing down the brightness if I don't have a spare battery nearby. In the case that I drain the RCR123 far enough that the protection circuit completely disables the battery, I switch to using my Muyshondt Ti Aeon until I get home. Haven't run into a situation yet where I was really in trouble because the RCR123 ran dry on me -- and if I were to be in such a situation, the packs of CR123 primaries I keep in my cars should see me through just fine.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
For feeding the rrt-0 rcr123 vs 14500, pros and cons and what does everybody prefer.

The AW Protected RCR123 and 14500's have the same capacity of 750 mAh. The light will be shorter with the RCR123's, while using the 14500's with the extension will make the light longer. Both will have the same run time, so it will just be a personal preference as to whether or not the extra length makes a difference to you or not.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Just got my rrt-0 s2 on friday, is it normal for the light to flicker on the low to medium modes, and when running on aa nimh or alkaline it seems to be quite a bit dimmer on full when compared to my quark aa using the same batteries?

My rrt-0 arrived a few days ago. I also got the flickering but then I realized that it was when I was adjusting the brightness up and down a couple of times and it went into SOS mode... :whistle:

It goes into SOS to easy IMHO. How often will I need SOS? Never, or once or twice in my life? For me it could take a little more and quicker twisting to get there...

My biggest annoyance is up to a 2-second delay when switching on the light when not full bright, and the unintentional SOS when making small adjustments up and down in brightness.

I see you have the same problem with the SOS.

About the delay: Do you get the delay when using the clicky? I don't. But if the clicky is on and I turn on the light from off with the ring there is a delay but only if it's been off for a while.

I have also noticed that the ring on my light moves about 270 degrees from off until it stops in the max position. It does however reach max output after about 180 degrees and the remaining 90 degrees until the ring stops it has the same output (which is bright :)).

All together I still think it's a nice light.

fyrstormer

Banned
The delay is to prevent you from accidentally blinding yourself with the SOS feature if you happen to turn the ring the wrong way. It gives you time to correct your error before the light turns on.

Are you using RCRs with your light? My RRT-0 and TC-R2 definitely increase in brightness across the entire sweep of the control ring, but if you're using a lower-power battery that won't be the case.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
It was with RCR I noticed that.
I have now tested also CR123 and AA alkaline.
It's a not much difference but if there is any the travel without change in brightness is actually shorter with AA! Maybe 60 degrees with AA and 90 degrees with RCR. CR123 is maybe in between or as RCR.

The difference in brightness is very clear though. This will not be run on AA by me. :)

And thanks for the explanation about the delay, that makes sence.
Anything that prevents strobe is welcome.
But there is no need for any delay when you go from off to constant on IMHO.

Last edited:

kahuna2793

Newly Enlightened
Is the R5 better led or the S2 led better anyone have any input?
About 7%, the S2 is brighter, but it also has larger tint variations (Because it is new), i.e. the risk of getting a slightly green beam is larger with S2.

aimxplode

Enlightened
No, I have done runtime with RCR123 and NiMH, both was done on the first version of RRT-0.

I just wanted to see how the regulation was on primary cr123s. It seems like it starts regulated, then goes into direct drive, whereas Li-ions are fully regulated and has a sudden drop when its out. Could you comment on this please?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I just wanted to see how the regulation was on primary cr123s. It seems like it starts regulated, then goes into direct drive, whereas Li-ions are fully regulated and has a sudden drop when its out. Could you comment on this please?

With LiIon it goes into direct drive, with CR123 it is stabilized for some time (But again: my data is from the first version, not the current one):
CurrentLux.png

geomun

Newly Enlightened
just picked this up yesterday and putting the clip on did leave a mark on the tube. Thought it would be a harder material.

jetbeam-rrt0-s2-20110901-0701.jpg

Hi everybody, I plan to get the rrt-0 next, how easy is it to remove the pocket clip without scratching the ha on the bodytube?

Harry999

Enlightened
The Nitecore EX11 clip fits onto the Jetbeam RRT-0 light. This uses the threaded screws at the top so you don't damage the anodising (other than when possibly you remove the original clip!).

d337944

Enlightened
I think I'll look for one of those EX11 clips ... sounds like a great idea!

My RRT-0 tube also got scratched putting on the clip ... very disappointing for wear abbrasion.

Harry999

Enlightened
d337944,

It works out quite well. The RRT-0 clip never felt secure on the Jetbeam light. The irony is that it fits very securely on the Nitecore D11.2 for a very, very, deep pocket carry. The top of the RRT-O clip is a good quarter of an inch above the tailcap of the Nitecore D11.2. I stuck it on there while I am waiting for D11.2 titanium clips to become available at my preferred UK stockist/supplier. I will keep the Jetbeam clip on that particular D11.2.

Because the EX11 clip is secured to the Jetbeam RRT-0 by the threaded screws it feels really solid and clips really well onto clothing. It also looks very nice on the light because the colour of the EX11 clip is closer to that of the Jetbeam magnetic infinite variable selection ring. Sorry I can't take a photo but I think most flashaholics would like to customise their RRT-O.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Has there ever been a neutral white version of the rrt-0? I was just thinking how much I like this flashlight but the blue white led just ruins it.