js's USL reanimation and revivification thread

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got your email, Bill, and returned you the difference. I'm amazed that Paypal now has that "Personal" option where you can send and receive money, without there being a fee taken. I wonder what made them do that? Somebody on the top must be so rich that he/she is now feeling somewhat generous!

I'm paying the fee on my end. It's my fault this wasn't done long ago, it is the least I can do!

Bill

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm paying the fee on my end. It's my fault this wasn't done long ago, it is the least I can do!

Bill

Oh yeah? Maybe, then, I paid a fee, while sending you back the difference. It did say, though, that using the "personal" option was free, as long as it is funded with your PP balance or checking account (CC would still incur a fee).

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Oh yeah? Maybe, then, I paid a fee, while sending you back the difference. It did say, though, that using the "personal" option was free, as long as it is funded with your PP balance or checking account (CC would still incur a fee).

Check you paypal transactions, it will tell you if you paid a fee.

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a business account, so I think I get dinged for anything!

I can't even find the refund option, which is supposed to be free!

I haven't been credited yet with the refund either, which is interesting, because I did get a refund notification email from PayPal.

Bill

Update: Now it has shown as credited. PayPal, I knew I hated it! But no fee deducted, which is as it should be

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
... PayPal, I knew I hated it! ...

Didn't we establish that a few years ago? :nana:

Seriously, it's good to see you doing this, Bill. It cost me $700 to find out what type of person another CPF member was. He's now one of the founding members of the CPF Hall of Shame, but I'd much prefer that he would have had the courage and honesty that you're showing here.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked my account, and under fees it says $0.00! Paypal is actually doing transactions for free, these days! Unbelievable!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
All responses I have received from those people who js built lights for have now been sent or PayPaled refunds.

I have currently 3 more lights to build and will start work on those tomorrow.

I appreciate the courtesy and patience everyone has exhibited.

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not received responses from everyone on js's list of built lights as yet.

But...all responses so far have been answered.

I still have power supplies and refund checks for those who are due them.

(I will try to keep this thread as up to date as possible.)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Now that we know that Eneloops seem to be able to handle the high current draw of the USL, the next question is how is the LSD, low self discharge holding up? The real value of the Eneloop in the USL will be, hopefully, its ability to still maintain a low self discharge rate even though it has been pushed and stressed to its current discharge limit.

Bill

JSO123

Newly Enlightened
This must be the longest running thread in history! However, I am pleased to continue to learn new things from it.

I've had my USL for a year or 2 and have gotten a lot of fun out of it. However, about a week ago, after charging it to about 15.84V, it was bright for about 5 seconds and then dimmed to about 25% of full brightness. I've recharged it a few times with the same results. ( incidentally, it has been getting regular - maybe weekly use )

Today I decided to check the voltage - via the pigtail - with my dmm while the light is on (and off a fresh charge) and it read 8.3V. . I don't know much about the electronics, but suspect one of the cells has gone bad. I don't see the particular cells used for sale anymore and probably need to get a totally new battery pack. I'm not looking for a replacement from the original builders as a bad/worn out cell is not their responsibility.

However, it looks like http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/ can build something that would probably work if I knew which batteries to tell them to build it with. Any suggestions? Thanks

Minimoog

Enlightened
Just to add to this I have just received a new battery pack from CBP using the Elite 2000 cells. This will be my second rebuild after the original and then the second pack did that sudden death. I have also taken the opportunity to treat it to a 3" head from Fivemega - really tightened up the beam. The USL continues to impress myself and all who see it, but it is a shame that it has slipped into history because it really was an amazing light. I took this opportunity to reverse the switch guard - as it was fitted it was the wrong way around as the pin hole was at the top.

I'm not sure what else I can treat it too apart from the head - I don't think bulb technology has improved since then. Are all the USL's dead now or is anyone still using theirs? Anyone still on the original pack?

Minimoog

Enlightened
I still have mine, but it hasn't been out of the cupboard in a few years.

Was it working fully when put away or was it put away because of the batteries failing? If anyone wants details of pack replacement I am happy to give them - only takes about an hour and a bit of soldering.

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it working fully when put away or was it put away because of the batteries failing? If anyone wants details of pack replacement I am happy to give them - only takes about an hour and a bit of soldering.

It was working fine, but not sure how the cells will be now as they haven't been cycled

darkgear.com

Enlightened
Just to add to this I have just received a new battery pack from CBP using the Elite 2000 cells. This will be my second rebuild after the original and then the second pack did that sudden death. I have also taken the opportunity to treat it to a 3" head from Fivemega - really tightened up the beam. The USL continues to impress myself and all who see it, but it is a shame that it has slipped into history because it really was an amazing light. I took this opportunity to reverse the switch guard - as it was fitted it was the wrong way around as the pin hole was at the top.

I'm not sure what else I can treat it too apart from the head - I don't think bulb technology has improved since then. Are all the USL's dead now or is anyone still using theirs? Anyone still on the original pack?

I still have a USL gathering dust. I could use the battery pack info please.

Mahalo,
Randy

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I still have mine. Not used for years. Is it difficult to remove and reinstall a new pack?

Bill

Minimoog

Enlightened
I'll put together a short guide this weekend. The hardest part is the removal of the switch if it is glued in (applies to guard models only) and if you can solder it really is quite straightforward.