js's USL reanimation and revivification thread

J_Oei

Enlightened
Just back from a trip from NY and found your package.
Putting it on the charger and we'll see how it goes.

Can't believe I'm actually holding a USL.
It has been a long journey.
Thanks Jim, for seeing it through to the end!

paulr

Flashaholic
Jim, I hate to bring up any subject that points towards your ending up doing even MORE work than the heroic effort you're already making, but if you're buying stuff to build more battery packs to complete pending lights, do you think of making a few extra packs in case some of the packs installed in lights fail after a while? I'd be happy to donate some $$$ towards that.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim, I hate to bring up any subject that points towards your ending up doing even MORE work than the heroic effort you're already making, but if you're buying stuff to build more battery packs to complete pending lights, do you think of making a few extra packs in case some of the packs installed in lights fail after a while? I'd be happy to donate some $$$ towards that.

No problem. I was planning on it. In fact, I have some news on that front. Some VERY good news. I was talking with Silverfox the other day, and it turns out that the Sanyo Eneloop cells (2 AH AA NiMH low self-discharge) will deliver 8 amps continuous current with a mid-point voltage of 1.1 volts/cell. This is as good as I have been seeing with the Titanium 1800 AA cells! And, I love love love the Eneloop cells! Really high quality cells, and the low self-discharge means you can set your USL (or regulated TigerLight) aside for a year and still have lots of charge left and not worry about ruining your cells.

So, I was thinking that I would make up a couple packs of these for field testing. One for me, and one for someone else (I was thinking maybe Codeman would be interested, although I'm sure that there are others who might be interested). We would test an eneloop USL with about a dozen burns, and measure mAh delivered with a 1 or 2 amp Triton (or similar) discharge to see if the 8 amp, 4C draw is seriously beating up these cells, or whether they just might be up to this crazy task! The packs would be end-to-end soldered packs that I'll make up from 11 eneloop cells. They solder up wonderfully. I love to work with eneloop cells.

Because, if we can get away with using the eneloop cells, that would make me quite happy.

J_Oei,

Did I include your extra reflector, or did I forget it? :thinking: I was worried I didn't pack it.

mst3k

Enlightened
mst3k,

Your order will ship today via USPS priority mail. And it's 100 percent turn-key. The light is charged, ready to use, and has a lamp installed and the head is focused. Just remove the locking pin and let 'er rip. Keep in mind that the battery pack will continue to improve as it sees use.

Omfg. Really?!?! :twothumbs

I really never thought I would ever see this day come. You are the best Jim. I would still like to sent you some $$ for shipping if you would PM or email me I will gladly send a little something your way.

I sent Bill my info for my charger stuff, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
...One for me, and one for someone else (I was thinking maybe Codeman would be interested...

You actually read my mine, js. When I found out my pack was dead, I meant to ask about the possibility of using Eneloops. I've got them in my other hotwires and everything else that uses NiMh cells. I haven't had a problem yet, so I think they're a great candidate for the USL. And no delivery problems, either.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has roasted marshmallows using Eneloops....yet!

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
You actually read my mine, js. When I found out my pack was dead, I meant to ask about the possibility of using Eneloops. I've got them in my other hotwires and everything else that uses NiMh cells. I haven't had a problem yet, so I think they're a great candidate for the USL. And no delivery problems, either.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has roasted marshmallows using Eneloops....yet!

Well, break open the bag, my friend, 'cause I'll have eneloops on the way to me today. :devil: It's a "first"!!! The first light with eneloops to roast a marshmallow. Call Guiness!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
If all works out, I would love to get mine changed over to eneloops when you get done with the rest of the project!

hehe. I was worried that this would happen! :crackup:

No problem. I can do a batch of switch-out USL's if we deem the eneloops to be suitable. I have 12 of them on the way to me, and then I'll need to make up the pack and do some initial testing, then send it to Codeman for some field testing. Probably won't know for about two to three weeks. But, I won't drag my feet on this. I'm curious my own self.

mst3k

Enlightened
Jim, My USL just walked thru the door. OMG what a beautiful light! You did such a great job on the build. This is just ultra clean. You rock!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's great to not only see folks finally getting their USL's, but also enjoying them!

I don't have any plans for the next month or so, so I should be able to do my part of the Eneloop testing pretty quickly.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim, My USL just walked thru the door. OMG what a beautiful light! You did such a great job on the build. This is just ultra clean. You rock!

Thanks mst3k! I had good stuff to start with, so that makes it easy. (Or easier, anyway).

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Wow, I didn't look at this thread in at least a few days, maybe even a week or so, and now it seems that I missed a lot. Congratulations on your light, mst3k!! BTW, when I arrived home on Friday, there was a UPS 'Sorry we missed you' note on my front door. Did you send a light to me, too, js, per your post 39, or was that package something else I ordered? Either way, thank you for all of your hard work, Jim.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
BTW, Bill PM sent. (I would have sent this earlier, but I thought that I was further down the list). I need both the charger and the power supply, Bill. Thanks.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I didn't look at this thread in at least a few days, maybe even a week or so, and now it seems that I missed a lot. Congratulations on your light, mst3k!! BTW, when I arrived home on Friday, there was a UPS 'Sorry we missed you' note on my front door. Did you send a light to me, too, js, per your post 39, or was that package something else I ordered? Either way, thank you for all of your hard work, Jim.

I haven't yet shipped out your light, Fat Tony, but as a matter fact, I just finished building it. A black unguarded USL. The RTV is drying overnight and tomorrow I'll pack it up and possibly even ship it out, or failing that it will go out Wednesday for sure.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi JS...

I`ve also now sent a PM to Bill giving him my shipping info and indicating that I bought the upgraded Triton charger for each of my two USL orders, and that I still need the chargers and power supplies for both of them (ie. two sets).

JS: you hopefully have my shipping info and email address, but I`ll send another PM to you with that info just in case.

Thanks again for your fine efforts.

BTW...I repeatedly told Bill (over the years) to feel free to do my two USL orders last if necessary, so that my battery packs would be hopefully trouble-free. If these new Eneloop batteries work out, please use them in my two lights if at all possible. (I have what some people may consider to be "squatting rights" in that regard over the other pending USL orders. Thank you! :D )

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carpe,

I have your info. As for trouble free battery packs, I'm not sure such a thing exists! :thinking: But, whether I use the Titanium 1800's or the eneloops, your pack should stand a pretty good chance of being relatively trouble-free.

Everyone,

Well, I forgot the package this morning, and so made a special trip back out after work to get it in the mail. Got to the post office at 5:38 PM . . . and found out that they now close at 5:30 instead of at 7:00. I was NOT happy. What a waste.

So, I will send out Fat Tony's package TOMORROW (again). Grrrrrrr.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Hi Jim,

Since I currently do not have a power supply or charger, how long can I go without charging the USL before I have to worry about the pack dying? Thanks for your help, Jim.