• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Just lost my new light!

Fringe

Enlightened
I am pretty upset. Really upset.

Just received my Sundrop with beautiful RED LED from a fellow member here last week and traveled to California to stay at the Ritz Carlton at Half Moon Bay for my 10th Anniversary with with my wife. Was sitting outside by the fire with some good friends from Tahoe and had the light on near the ground for ambience. One thing led to another and we left around midnight and I did not realize I left it there till I got back to our room, but by then it was to late! Someone picked up the light!

I know it was the staff as we were the ONLY people out there and it was late. I have asked everyone and told them how important it was but no luck.

I am really hoping that it turns up. I hope whomever took it turns it in. I am really sad. I loved this light!!! This was my first McGizmo flashlight since I bought the first Al PD back in the day. I don't even think I could get another one if I wanted to as this one has the rare red dragon LED.

Just had to vent. Sorry!

ASheep

Enlightened
Aww man that's not cool at all! My condolences, I hope your Sundrop finds its way home.

I lost an old Novatac modded with a Neutral XM-L when I was interstate for my cousin's wedding last year. It was the worst feeling going through airport security, reaching for my light in my pocket to put it on the Xray tray, and realising it was gone... I can't imagine how bad I would have felt if it was a McGizmo instead of a Novatac!

Cheers,
Alex

Fringe

Enlightened
Thanks guys. Still no luck. This one hurts really badly. Have not lost a light since like 5 or 6 years ago when a friend lost my Super Flashlight III.

This Red Dragon was like only a week old! Still have my fingers crossed. You think Don could make me a new one?

Nice to be back PSM. Its been a long time.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bummer Fringe! I do have some red dragons on hand and can build another light for you but that doesn't diminish your loss. Sorry.

Fringe

Enlightened
Don,

That is good to know! I am still having hope as to it turning up and plan to write a letter as not only this incident, but the service was for the most part awful at this property and someone deserves to know.

I am home now and may give it till the end of the week or more till I move on another one directly from you Don. I am glad that you can make me another one. My wife said no more nice flashlights out of the house! Kind of defeats the purpose though!

Thanks all! Just thinking about it makes me so upset all over!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Dude,

That place has more surveillance cameras than the Pentagon, call the, I mean, THE Manager, tell him that was an expensive piece, for the sake of getting it back you can up it a little, and it was a gift from your friends that night, something like that or an award from the Flashlight industry lobby of America for Justice, or whatever. Ask for that tape and then maybe they can ID who took it.

I flashed my Red Sun Drop off a balcony, as a similar property, and they were breaking the door down. And they knew right where to come.

If you were in a common area, you were taped.

Call tomorrow but follow no chain of command, The Manager, trust me it can't hurt.

For the past 22 Years, I have loaded in and out hundreds of thousands of dollars of photographic equipment at most of the Five Star properties around the country and the world. Sometimes we need to leave things in please over night days at a time, and I have become very familiar with hotel security, pumping people, asking questions, with my press credentials on will get people to tell you anything. If not a hundred will get you their entire system of operations.

So I have had to learn hotel security as a nature of my business.

Most of the staff are honest people, but, I can't risk, loosing gear in the middle of a project. The client would kill me, even if I was told to leave things in place, so you have do your own investigation of the property you are working.

You may stand a chance of getting it back. Make it a top down investigation on their part.

One other thing...only guy,s like us are going to want a red flashlight, and they will not know the value of it. If the manager and footage come up empty, I would ask the manager to post a reward posted for it in the employee areas and you can send a photo of one, again It was an award from the CEO. Hotels do awards everyday and employees will think that's what it is.

If you were there late it may not have been noticed until the morning.

If not, Don...your turn.

Good luck. Hope you get it back.

Redhat703

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your lost. I had that feeling last week when my folder was climbing off my front pocket and disappeared when I was at the Fair with family. Luckily that was the Spyderco Centofante3, not the ZT0561.

carrot

Flashaholic
I am sorry to hear that. I lost a McGizmo years ago and I was devastated. I really hope you are able to recover yours.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

That is good to know! I am still having hope as to it turning up and plan to write a letter as not only this incident, but the service was for the most part awful at this property and someone deserves to know.

I am home now and may give it till the end of the week or more till I move on another one directly from you Don. I am glad that you can make me another one. My wife said no more nice flashlights out of the house! Kind of defeats the purpose though!

Thanks all! Just thinking about it makes me so upset all over!

Show your wife the lanyards Don used to sell and go to their web site.
They will have something for you.

If it would help, I could send you my red Sun Drop until you get a replacement from Don.

Best,

NR

Fringe

Enlightened
Show your wife the lanyards Don used to sell and go to their web site.
They will have something for you.

If it would help, I could send you my red Sun Drop until you get a replacement from Don.

Best,

NR

RedLed,

Your offer is very kind indeed and your response before was very informative. I am going to call the Ritz back today or tomorrow and let them know about the surveillance that you describe.

I am also tempted to drop your name! Just kidding. I would never do this without your consent.

Thanks for your offer, but I will pass. If I fail to get the light back from the Ritz, I think I will call Don.

Thank you!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
RedLed,

Your offer is very kind indeed and your response before was very informative. I am going to call the Ritz back today or tomorrow and let them know about the surveillance that you describe.

I am also tempted to drop your name! Just kidding. I would never do this without your consent.

Thanks for your offer, but I will pass. If I fail to get the light back from the Ritz, I think I will call Don.

Thank you!

Drop my name, I am national press, see if that shakes them up. ADD: Tell them it could make the AP wire. That should do something!

Last edited:

Fringe

Enlightened
Perfect! I don't see how it would hurt as when I was describing the light for a police report they were confused about the red light not being a "laser" so I old them it was a very expensive tool used for high end photographers and I believe you would fit this bill perfectly.

Thanks RedLed!

Glock 22

Enlightened
That really stinks about losing your light. That's any Flashaholics worst nightmare. I would die if I lost one of mine. But I really hope you find it.

Fringe

Enlightened
That really stinks about losing your light. That's any Flashaholics worst nightmare. I would die if I lost one of mine. But I really hope you find it.

Yes, it makes me sick when I think about it every time and the ******* who has it and has no idea what it is.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tell them it is a light used on Recon missions, and aboard Night Watch-looking glass on a Boeing 747, E4B, Heavy, that SECDEF uses. That they better cough up that light quick. I have flown aboard that aircraft.

Now the mostly SECDEF uses that plane. They have good cocktails on it, too

Last edited: