Just Ruined $500 Microfire Flashlight Need Help

Marduke

Flashaholic
ANY reputable company will either allow you to PAY them to fix an out of warranty item or at the very least refer you to someone that can fix it for you.

Who? Most all dealers in my experience deal with warrantied parts only. Even if they have the knowledge or ability to repair parts which they did not produce, that is a huge liability.

I know that when something is broken, the concept of "can't make it worse" comes to mind, but try telling that to an angry customer if it can't be fixed.

Free

Enlightened
I just asked 47's to clarify, and they said that the manufacturer does not have an out of warranty paid repair service, and even if my light was under warranty, the fact that I opened it to check to see what was rattling, would have voided the warranty anyway. There were no stickers, or anything else that indicated I was not supposed to unscrew the head, and I have done so on many flashlights to fix loose parts.

47's also stated that they no longer do repairs/mod's due to liability issues.

So, the lesson here, is if you buy a light from Microfire, you better be a flashlight modder, or very skilled with electronics, or basically you have purchased a $500 disposable product once the warranty expires.

I have ordered a second L500R from 47's, and am seriously considering returning it, though I will have to pay a 15% restocking fee. At least I won't be out the full amount, should it break once the warranty period expires.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Ask 47 to waive the restocking fee. I do not blame you for wanting to cancel out.

Bill

Metatron

Banned
from the way the pics depict, the user took the light apart, usually disassembly voids warranties, how is this 4seben's fault? :thinking:

from the op post...it does sound strange though, QC should have seen this before it left the st0ckroom
I agree that 4sevens is in the clear, but as a company they should show some concern and offer a solution, even if the buyer has to pay, whats important is the buyer is helped out one way or another.

AND
in addition, am i pleased i work with wolfeyes, yes i pay 3x, but noon have let me down even under extreme stresses.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
from the way the pics depict, the user took the light apart, usually disassembly voids warranties, how is this 4seben's fault? :thinking:

from the op post...it does sound strange though, QC should have seen this before it left the st0ckroom

It's very clear why it's their fault. As he describes it there was a rattle. Removing the head to look for the cause is routine user Maintenance. Then he called them and was told tough luck and only then took the light apart.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just asked 47's to clarify, and they said that the manufacturer does not have an out of warranty paid repair service, and even if my light was under warranty, the fact that I opened it to check to see what was rattling, would have voided the warranty anyway. There were no stickers, or anything else that indicated I was not supposed to unscrew the head, and I have done so on many flashlights to fix loose parts.

So, the lesson here, is if you buy a light from Microfire, you better be a flashlight modder, or very skilled with electronics, or basically you have purchased a $500 disposable product once the warranty expires.

I have ordered a second L500R from 47's, and am seriously considering returning it, though I will have to pay a 15% restocking fee. At least I won't be out the full amount, should it break once the warranty period expires.

It's completely convinced me to NEVER buy ANY microfire product. One expects a light of that cost to have service available for life...and probably FREE service for a rattle that isn't due to abuse. This sounds like worse than Ultrafire quality to me. I'm also very disappointed in 4 sevens. I'm going to look around for dealers who service their products or who can at least refer you to service.

For a 89.99 dollar flashlight I could understand that service might cost more than the flashlight. For 500 dollars I expect much better.

What A VERY SAD STORY

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

Sounds like you get screwed twice. $75 is a lot to pay to return it under the circumstances.

Were you able to fix the first one?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel sorry for it... hope you can repair it.

But looking at the reflector pic, there is nothing special about it... seems like a bunch of DX reflectors with loose cables everywhere. For $500 I expected circuit boards and stronger connections.

Free

Enlightened
I believe I have it fixed, but I am sure having a heck of a time getting it back together. I can't begin to describe how difficult this is. Hopefully it will still work when I get it re-assembled. I am putting it aside until tomorrow, when I am well rested.

Tiantang78

Newly Enlightened
I have actually been considering purchasing a microfire light ... I think its the 35 watt incan ... this is a really disturbing story ... these are premium lights and users are paying a premium price for them, unless microfire start offering a longer warranty period (say 5-10 years) they should at least have some kind of system in place to handle these situations ... does'nt look like they have thought through this process very well and if they have well they dont seem to care enough to do something about it ... thats a black mark against their name in my books ... I am not convinced that 7777's has done anything wrong here ... i'm not taking sides but if my memory serves me correctly his site does say there are/maybe restocking fees for returns ... he is running a business not a charity so this is not an unreasonable fee given there is nothing wrong with the light (i am talking about the 2nd microfire that has been purchased) ... either way i feel for you dude ...hope everything gets sorted out ...

Last edited:

Greg G

Enlightened
I'd send the light to one of the modders on the board. I'm sure someone would be glad to put it back together wired correctly....AND WITH NO RATTLE.

I don't understand a company that sells $500 lights but won't do a simple repair such as this. Thanks for the heads-up on this company.

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
At the very least I expected 4Sevens to have referred this guy to someone that could fix his light.

This is truly sad to hear about 4Sevens. This is plain and simple "The check has cleared, now leave us alone!" I can assure 4Sevens that I will be "leaving them alone" and advising everyone I know to "leave them alone" as well.

Greg G

Enlightened
P1010001%20(Small).JPG

P1010004%20(Small).JPG

That wiring is not what I would expect to see on a $500 light. It looks more like a rat's nest to me. I would re-do the whole thing. Wires soldered together with shrink wrap over them aren't the caliber of work that should be on light that cost that much. Uninterrupted lengths of wire soldered between anode and cathode pads is what it should have. :confused:

Last edited:

Free

Enlightened
My light is working!!!!!!

I clipped a wire when putting it back together, so I had to do a second repair. It is pretty crude, since I am not a professional, but the light is working.... for now. :)

Oh, and I fixed the rattle too. I wrapped the pill with scotch tape, so it fit more snugly, and now it is solid.

I would feel much better if it was done by the factory, so I know it is as good as new, but at least I have the satisfaction that I was able to figure it out myself.

P1000828%20(Small).JPG

Last edited:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sheesh, everyone jump on 4Sevens now, eh?
i think they should drop microfire like its going outta style
That, my friend, is an overpriced light

roadie

Enlightened
My light is working!!!!!!

I clipped a wire when putting it back together, so I had to do a second repair. It is pretty crude, since I am not a professional, but the light is working.... for now. :)

Oh, and I fixed the rattle too. I wrapped the pill with scotch tape, so it fit more snugly, and now it is solid.

I would feel much better if it was done by the factory, so I know it is as good as new, but at least I have the satisfaction that I was able to figure it out myself.

:goodjob:

so the clue is, as long it works, dun break it open .... again

:)

ps: it u can, do some light soldering on the broken connect location, ideally.

Last edited:

Free

Enlightened
At the very least I expected 4Sevens to have referred this guy to someone that could fix his light.

This is truly sad to hear about 4Sevens. This is plain and simple "The check has cleared, now leave us alone!" I can assure 4Sevens that I will be "leaving them alone" and advising everyone I know to "leave them alone" as well.

Just to put in a word for 47's here, they clearly state the warranty's on their web site, and they were quite responsive to my inquiries. Also, in terms of referring me to someone to fix my light, they did suggest that someone here could help, and I do feel confident that, if I couldn't figure it out myself, that one of you guy's would have come through for me.

On the other hand, what I would suggest is that they add to their warranty information, a section on out of warranty paid repair. It would be important to someone making a decision on a light to know whether or not a company is going to stand behind their product with some sort of repair service for a fee.

Also, it would be nice if they made clear, which parts of a light the customer is allowed to access, without voiding warranty. Can we remove the lens to clean it? Are we allowed to clean the reflectors if there is a smudge in there? Are we only allowed to change the batteries in a light without voiding the warranty? The Microfire lights are particularly vulnerable to this issue, since you need to unscrew the battery pack from the head, to charge it. The way it is designed, the electronics containing parts can very easily unscrew from the middle part of the light, when changing the battery, and this apparently voids the warranty.

Last edited:

n4zov

Newly Enlightened
You are a lot more understanding than I would be, but the light your experiences shed on their non-repair service and attitude about product support should be warning enough to potential customers.

Latest posts