just tried "Daylight" fluorescent bulbs - awesome!

Vbeez

Enlightened
I use daylight flourescent bulb in my house, panasonic quicklight, osram dulux, leuchtech lux pro, don't remember the rest. The only incan I have are in flashlights & cars

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been to Target, Walmart, and True Value, and still have not seen any sort of bulbs with the word "Daylight" on them. Just Edison's Reveal, and the gamut of regular bulbs.
Where is everyone finding LED and Daylight bulbs?

Spudman

Enlightened
My wife is into sewing and just bought a tasklight called the Ott-lite. It uses daylight flourescent bulbs and is pretty neat. Unfortunately, the Ott bulbs are not screw in type, so you have to use their lamps. Here is the site where she bought hers and they were having a half price sale on the lamps and bulbs.

http://www.joanns.com/

These lights are still pricey and I'd like to find the screw in Osrams somewhere close or online.

EDIT: I just noticed they do sell a screw in replacement 20W bulb, but it is 25 bucks at half off. This isn't a deal, is it?

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Does that task light have an electronic ballast or a magnetic one? Electronically-ballasted lamps light up almost instantly, while magnetic ballast lamps go flicker-flicker-flickety-flickety-ON over a time period of about 3-5 seconds.

Spudman

Enlightened
I just checked and hers is the flickety flicker flick type. It folds up when not in use and to turn it on you just open it. By the time it is all the way open it has finished with the flicker.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Spudman said:
I just checked and hers is the flickety flicker flick type. It folds up when not in use and to turn it on you just open it. By the time it is all the way open it has finished with the flicker.

Thanks for checking, Spudman! I've been on a quest for an electronically-ballasted desk lamp for awhile. I've used the older magnetic ballast lamps and they're harder on my eyes than the newer ones; I'm sensitive to the 60hz strobing.

One of the things that I like about the screw-in CFL lamps is that they all have electronic ballasts these days.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I installed some 48-inch daylight fluorescent tubes in our kitchen, and I love it. It makes every day feel like sunshine.

But I've had no luck installing daylight incandescents in our basement track lights. My wife and kids prefer the old-style yellowish lights.

I really wanted the daylight lights everywhere, because my indoor available-light photos (using film) would look more natural.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of those 25w Lights of America sunlight bulbs for $4.84 at Walmart, the color is really quite blue. I think I'd prefer 4100K-5000K temp. Also, it burned out after less than a day of use :ironic:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
I bought one of those 25w Lights of America sunlight bulbs for $4.84 at Walmart, the color is really quite blue. I think I'd prefer 4100K-5000K temp. Also, it burned out after less than a day of use :ironic:
Ha, JUST got a 2pack of the 75w/uses 20w ones this morning. Fired it up in my blacked out living room, and it looked very white to me. Nothing like sunlight, more like the white Q3's beam. I'll give it a few days and see how I like them.

EDIT: Well I returned them today, the color was really awful, like a blue-whitish office lighting. Very stark and harsh. Hopefully a trip to Home Depot will turn up some of the daylight and sunlight bulbs everyone else seems to be finding.:shrug:

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_LED_Museum said:
LOA brand compact fluorescent light blubs are known to have an unusually high failure rate...this failure does not surprise me a bit.

Yeah I wasnt terribly surprised when it burnt out based on what I've read here.

BTW I sent a request to Costco for some cool white or daylight fluorescent bulbs. They sell the Feit brand 100w replacements in a 4 pack for about $9, and 8 packs of the 60w replacement for $12. Feit makes the cooler colors, so I hope Costco looks into it!

I've got about 2 dozen Feit bulbs in my house and out at my dads farm, they're flawless so far except the low color temperature.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I keep swaping more and more bulbs to these fluorecent ones, and I like it even more!. In my Master Bedroom, with the old bulbs I had some trouble to distinguish between my dark blue socks and my black socks, but once I changed the bulbs to the Daylight ones, it is VERY easy to pick them apart now :bow:

In the kitchen, now things look very natural as well. It is weird that I did not noticed earlier how bad and how yellow things where. I only regret that it took this many years for me to realize how much nicer these Daylight fluorecent bulbs really are :)

By the way, I get mine from Home Depot ;)

Will

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonWrangler said:
Thanks for checking, Spudman! I've been on a quest for an electronically-ballasted desk lamp for awhile. I've used the older magnetic ballast lamps and they're harder on my eyes than the newer ones; I'm sensitive to the 60hz strobing.

One of the things that I like about the screw-in CFL lamps is that they all have electronic ballasts these days.
look at oddlots/biglots.
the biglots furniture stores here closed and when they hit 90% off i got a sunlite full spectrum desklamp for $3
its electronicly ballasted and has a quad tube cfl that is 5000k and 90cri.
starts in about a second and warms up fully in about 30.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I'm having a hard time finding a good selection of fluorescent bulbs. Any advice on where to look besides the local Home Depot? I'd like a different brand of CFLs besides their Commercial Electric, which seem to take forever to warm up.

I've also scored an old, two-tube fluorescent lamp from work, and I'd like to get some "daylight" or "sunshine" 18" straight tubes for it. Or is there something better (full spectrum?) than the normal "daylight" temperature bulbs?

dudeldam

Newly Enlightened
Ikonomi said:
[...] Or is there something better (full spectrum?) than the normal "daylight" temperature bulbs?

Yes there is. Daylight only means that the colour temperature is about 6500 Kelvin. What you need is a high colour rendering index (Ra), 100 being the theoretical maximum. Full spectrum fluorescents have an Ra of about 97 to 98. The "best quality" Osram lumilux de luxe fluorescents (starting with the number 9 on the product label) have an Ra of above90, the normal Lumilux (starting with the number 8) have Ra between 80 and 90, a.s.o., and this goes down to the crappy 6xx- fluorescents with an Ra of only 60 or less.

In every quality group you have the additional choise of different white tones (colour temperatures). 827 for example translates to Ra about 80, colour temp about 2700 K. 650 is awful rendering, and 5000K, 940 is nearly perfect rendering at 4000K, and so on. The product numbers of non-Osram bulbs are almost simular in their coding.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ikonomi said:
I'm having a hard time finding a good selection of fluorescent bulbs. Any advice on where to look besides the local Home Depot? I'd like a different brand of CFLs besides their Commercial Electric, which seem to take forever to warm up.
Went to Target today, they still have thier GE brand CFL bulbs on clearance for $4.88 a 2pack. 60w=20w power.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a pair of 2' 20watt GE Sunshines on the ceiling in my room. Lights the whole place up pretty well for the amount of energy used. I've switched the magenetic ballast in the fixture though with electronic ballast circuit boards from some old compact flourescent bulbs to run them.

A higher color temperature (such as daylight flourescent lamps) seems a little "bluish gray" or "cold" in a home setting unless you have enough of them that your room is "classroom bright"

My Lowe's hardware store just started selling Ott-Lite desk lamps and replacement bulbs for them. I bought a Vision Saver+ 13 watt PL tube and found the ballast my mom thought she threw away to run it in a regular table lamp that I used for reading. I prefer the white light over the "pinkish" CFL I had. The only drawback is the magnetic ballast (the light flashes a few times when turned on). The 18 watt and above Ott Lites I think have electronic ballasts.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a 3 pack of 23w 1200 lumen 5500K fluorescent bulbs from Home Depot for $12~ and they seem really nice. They worked great for the photos I took earlier (my reason for buying them, photography) but they still seem a bit bluish for my taste. Maybe I'll get some 4100K's or even some of the 3500K's next.

Dragon

Newly Enlightened
I had earlier seen flourescent tubes that were slimmer and brighter than the regular tubes, but unfortunately I didn't save the site because I was not looking at lighting, then. I'm interested in finding out if they the Asram daylights would work as replacement for the old tubs with magnetic ballasts (I'm suggesting electronic ballasts). I assume there may have to be some changes made in the fixtures and so forth? How would the ballast work? Does it come with the tubes, are would it be installed with new fixtures? Could the old fixtures be adapted to the new tubes?

Last edited: