Just wondering when we'll see a bigger selection of warm white led lanterns?

create54321

Newly Enlightened
It's so nice to have the mini warm white LED's from favorlight available. And now I own four... Well, three because mom talked me out of one to use with the horses at the barn. I can't even go back to using my rayovac sportsman extreme after looking at the light that's so close to an incan that emits from the favourlights.

Keep hoping for the Gentos to show up on our shelves but that seems like it's never gonna happen. I would def. try to mod a rayovac, but just dont feel comfortable with doing it, I'm afarid i'd screw up a lantern and an emitter. Maybe if someone posted a very detailed step by step I'd give it a go, including soldering 101. HEHEHEEHEHE.

Today, I threw my coleman micropackers in the trash (all 9 of them). I asked some of my friends if they wanted them, and they all more or less said "No, but if you want to get rid of your other little ones (The Favorlights), I'll take those."

My collection is getting STALE! LOL I broke down and bought a zebralight clicky warm white (okay color rendition but a smidge green) and i like it, but it's just not as pleasing as the little favorlights. Anyone got any links to a nice new lantern in the warm white variety? Heck, EVEN neutral white, as long as it's not that freakin ugly cold blue, that really isnt that helpful in real world long term usage (1 week camping). --

Anyway, as always, I appreciate everyone here and all the great ideas and info you bring as lantern and flashlight collectors. Hope to hear some new news from you guys. Mike

P.S. Is anyone in Albuquerque that would like to HAVE a brunton polaris (Pleasing light my ****! hahahahaha NOT) 3c cell lantern? I just dont want it anymore. I really cant stand the light output after using my favorlights but figure someone might want it for their collection. I dont really want to go through the trouble of shipping it so anyone in town that would like it dropped off, just let me know. If i dont hear from anyone in a short bit, I'm gonna trash it, it really has become a paperweight.

I'm also thinking of giving away my coleman 8d cell LED lanterns (2 qty) but may try to mod those because if i mess it up, who cares right! I'll let you know what i decide on those.

Last edited by a moderator:

damn_hammer

Enlightened
I modded a 8D Coleman lantern a few months ago. It was not difficult at all, and very easy to get apart. Frosted the lens, and swapped out the stock cool white led for a Cree XRE Q3 5A, and the tint is much nicer. It cost a drop in brightness, but there are higher flux LED's now so would be less of an issue. hopefully Cree will be coming out with a neutral XP-G in the next few months. I'm not sure if you have the same lantern, but heres the link on mine ... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/226628

I purchased a warm white MC-E je6 on a 16mm PCB for the same lantern, some teflon wire, and am going to see if i can make it work when i have some time.

It's sad to hear that you're chucking lanterns. I'd take them to try and shape my novice modder skills, but am in NC.

create54321

Newly Enlightened
To Phaserburn!
THese are the warm white lanterns that i own (Wow do i love them) manufactured by favorlight.

Here is a link to the elusive gentos, which i drool over constantly.

Sales Links removed = Norm

Those Elusive Gentos look really awsome.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Too bad we can't talk 4 Sevens into building one like it.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Favourlight warm white lantern. This really is a nice little unit. The output amount, beam quality and tint are quite nice. The size is quite small. I don't mind the 3AAs vs 4 as I am using nimh cells. The "low" setting is actually too high and not enough differentiated; having said that, I use it for longer burns. The green locator led is useless, just like the one on the 3D Rayovac. Not bright enough to actually funtion unless you're looking right at it in the pitch dark from a range of a foot or less. So, it just contributes a very minor but annoying batt drain.

I'd love to know the current draw on both settings using nimh and alk cells to estimate true runtimes.

BTW, my kids love my Brunton Polaris, so if you're chucking yours, send it my way!

:cool:

filibuster

Enlightened
Here is a link to the elusive gentos, which i drool over constantly.

http://urikas.ocnk.net/product/503
For those who just "gotta have one" here's a site in Japan that you can buy the Gento from and then register for a forwarding service to have it shipped to the US.

Sale Links removed - Norm

The Gento is about $36 US and shipping to the States I'm figuring will be from $15 to $25 if I read it right.

It's too much for my blood but is an option for those with a fetish for warm white LED lanterns.

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
Ordered the one create54321 and Phaserburn mentioned... I don't know how much they bought it for, but it is $29 right now:

timmmm864

Newly Enlightened
I've just picked up the Gentos ex-777XP 280 lumen warm white.
I'll try and post some pics - I love the tint.

As mentioned earlier, I think this is still only available in Japan.

Tim

timmmm864

Newly Enlightened
A friend picked it up for me in Japan on a recent business trip.
It cost 2,730 yen.
That approx $30 US or $35 Oz. (On current exchange rate)

(Airfares will push that price up a bit:sssh:)

It seemed to run on high for an impressive 4hours (I think) using 3 x 2700Mah Powerex AAs in D adapters last night) then dropped down in output and was still pushing out usable light 4 hrs later when I went to bed.

Cheers,
Tim

netprince

Enlightened
For what its worth, I spent the weekend using my black diamond Apollo every night for 5 hours. After putting up with the blue tint, I took it apart last night and replaced the LED with a q3 5a neutral led. It was actually fairly easy to do. All screws to take it apart (no glue or clips). The trickiest part was removing/reattaching the LED from the star (actually square). The 'star' is custom designed with holes to make sure the LED is centered...

Much better tint now, should have done that before the weekend...

afraidofdark

Enlightened
For what its worth, I spent the weekend using my black diamond Apollo every night for 5 hours. After putting up with the blue tint, I took it apart last night and replaced the LED with a q3 5a neutral led. It was actually fairly easy to do. All screws to take it apart (no glue or clips). The trickiest part was removing/reattaching the LED from the star (actually square). The 'star' is custom designed with holes to make sure the LED is centered...

Much better tint now, should have done that before the weekend...

Yes, yes, yes ... this lantern cries out for a mod. Thanks to netprince's advice I swapped the emitter on my Apollo as well, and it's just excellent now as a warm white lantern.

TwitchALot

Enlightened
What Favorlight needs to do is update their lantern with the Q5 flux WW Cree XP-G. :broke: Does anyone here mod the Favorlights or provide such a service?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked the dealer in CA if Favourlight had any plans to update their warm white LEDs in the 3xAA version, and they said "no." :(

TwitchALot

Enlightened
I asked the dealer in CA if Favourlight had any plans to update their warm white LEDs in the 3xAA version, and they said "no." :(

Well that's a real buzzkill. Thanks for the info! Does anyone know if anyone here mods these things? I'm not quite sure how easy they are to take apart and reassemble correctly compared to a flashlight.