• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

K40Mvn (Must Have)

Guumuus

Newly Enlightened
The beamshots didn't work out. I use a Nikon D3100 with kitlens and have a hard time to find the right settings for optimal results. Going to search for some tips in the beamshot thread and will try again later :)

I'm getting myself a shutter release cable and a tripod...until then no beamshots :(

Last edited:

Riku

Newly Enlightened
I'm no expert on beamshots but I would go with manual exposure, largest f-stop possible, ISO 800-1600 and then experiment with shuttertime until the exposure looks good. It's often prefered to have a couple of meters between the camera and the light. Hope it works out for you.

stevo250

Newly Enlightened
Vinh this k40mvn is a masterpiece! Such great beam quality and mix of power and throw! Can't put it down. Probably be my new favorite hiking light

I can also report that keeppower 3400 protected batteries work well in it and just fit in.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looked through that review... the throw is surprisingly good, but I don't think it will go far over 200kcd. The treeline is too close to do justice to the better throwers.

WhitedragonBC

Newly Enlightened
Don't think I've ever seen a measurement of the dedomed version.
Sup Beam K40Mvn Dome on
protected pf
3928@ turn on
3575@ 30 sec
2336 high
1404 mid
577 mid2
38 mid3
0.9 low
Throw - 105,000 lux

150,000 is my guess with a 50% increase from the dedome.

lumentia

Enlightened
:grin2:I should be getting another k40mvn in the mail today :grin2:

Thinking about turning it into a pop can sized zoomie aspheric flooder. Did a little experimenting with an old lens I had laying around and the results looked promising.

I really like the UI, output levels, handle size, and tint of these lights and Vinh's mods only make it better. I think it will make a nicer pop can flooder than say a tn30 or SR Mini because of the nice UI and the ability to zoom for more throw when u need it.

Gonna take a little head scratching, CAD, and machine work to build the parts to hold the lens/bezel and zoom mechanism to replace the existing head but I enjoy that stuff.

Last edited:

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumentia, that sounds pretty interesting. You'll have to keep us posted.

WhitedragonBC

Newly Enlightened
Just got a light meter(LX-1010B) so I measured mine today:

K40Mvn dedomed
Unprotected Panasonic 18650BD
Measured at 10 meters, converted to 1 meter
151,600 lux

josefsson

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Got my first vinhn light this week! Thanks!! Wanted a warm tint searchlight and the K40Mvn Dedome is perfect!

A comparison between my stock K40m and the K40Mvn dedome:

bild201.jpg

K40M Stock

8b2b95a1-04d1-4fc7-a2db-3e987c7820aa.jpg

K40mvn Dedome

k40mvn2.jpg

Much more throw and a ton of lumens..! :thumbsup:

josefsson

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Thought maybe you guys could help me out! Yesterday I ran my K40mvn with 3 olight 3400mah batteries when it suddenley died. I took out the batteries and checked the voltage. 2 of them around 3,7 v and the third almost 0.

Nothing to worry about I thought, sould just be the protection cercuit that has tripped. Put the battery in my charger (Intellicharger I4) but the charger did not charge.. tried several times but could not get it to charge. Left the battery in for a couple of minutes and then the charger suddenly indicated battery full. Took the battery out and measured the voltage and it was about 3,7 volt.. Back in the light and the light worked fine on level 1-5 but died on level 6.. Voltage on battery back to almost 0..

Any idea what could have happend? Broken protection cercuit? Think this is strange on an almost new high quality battery..? Kind of new to all this.. :)

Thanks //

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light requires high drain batteries. I'm guessing the Olights are based off panny 19650b which is not high drain.