Kershaw Thermite ~ The everyday Hinderer

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Rick Hinderer is an old school type craftsman,, logic, simplicity and function resulting in a mad worldwide scramble to copy.

Kershaw has commissioned Rick to design several knives over the last couple years and the new Thermite is something special.
In all practicality; it's 85% a Hinderer FXM 3.5 at 6% the price

*I do not mean to take anything away from the lucky few who actually got their hands on an original,,
but for many, having Hinderer name on Kershaw build is darn acceptable*

The Thermite is a G10, frame lock, spanto blade, Speedsafe knife that arrives razor sharp.
Strong, deep carry pocket clip for sure~:thumbsup:
Having a longer handle is probably it's best feature, just feels solid and predicable in hand.
The G10 in not aggressive, basically being unnoticeable and that meaning a good thing.

Weight is 137gr.{4.8oz} with balance being slightly toward tail.
Overall feeling is not heavy due to its length

There are a few things I would change, (one being the thumbstuds on frame in open position to increase torsional rigidity),,
but I truly believe there's a reason not to make this knife too good ;)

If you're ok w/ assembly overseas, the Kershaw Thermite may very well be the best knife per dollar to date.

__________^ relative size to a ZT550

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Hmmm, I love my 0551, this looks like another nice little collaboration. I could see carrying one of those. :cool:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Collaboration is a good word to use,,
every time I snap it open, I'm remembered that it's just an influence of the original. Full respect here.
...anyway, I'v had a few Speedsafe Kershaws & it's always buzz to use*

What I'd like to see is the clip being another 5~10mm longer & the flipper be a bit taller.

But still standing with the best/dollar vote

*check your local laws,, giving it up as a 'donation' is a real possibility here:whistle:

nbp

Flashaholic
I've asked a few friends who are cops about the knives I carry and they have never given me grief. :naughty:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love one of these if Australian Customs rules weren't so <censored>.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Folder, flipper, has a pointy bit at one end, you name it they have a problem with it

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I'm a knife snob, but I regularly carry a Kershaw rj2, another great assisted flipper. Designed by rj martin.

---------------------------------
Chris

Rexlion

Enlightened
I am wondering, doesn't it feel strange in the hand to have two very different materials on the two sides of this knife? Other than that, I like it.

Camaroman_99

Newly Enlightened
Mr Hinderer is one of my favorite designers! Would love to have an XM-18 but I did get the ZT 0560 in the blackwash "finish". I really love it. The Elmax steel is very sharp!! Super knife!

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I am wondering, doesn't it feel strange in the hand to have two very different materials on the two sides of this knife? Other than that, I like it.

No, this is the way most high end Ti framelock folders are designed. you really only feel the "handle side" anyways, the side inside your palm.

bigslick

Newly Enlightened
How do you like the black finish? Haven't seen many of them and wondering what the quality is like as compared to the stonewashed original.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Sorry for the late replies..

You really don't notice it at all & the grip is good.
In fact it's a plus, in that the knife won't get overly hot or cold in weather conditions.
..it's a bit more relaxed than the Zero Tolerance in hand

How do you like the black finish? Haven't seen many of them and wondering what the quality is like as compared to the stonewashed original.

The black finish is smooth & very hard,, seems harder than the very best anodize. Possibly ionized?
It will not scratch easily.

I like the black, it looks finished & stealthy..:devil: