Kitchen worktop lighting - need guidance please

ro63rto

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I recently promised my mother to try and add undercabinet lighting in her kitchen.

I bought 2 sets of these....

20151218_175224.jpg

20151218_175131.jpg

LED Type : 5050 SMD*Warm White
Input voltage: 12V DC
Current Per Piece : 60 mA
Consumption Watts Per Piece : 0.72W
Number of LEDs : 3 Per Module
Number of Modules : 20
Waterproof

Power supply is a laptop style brick AC 240 down to DC12V 5A.

The main question is would these need to be mounted on an aluminium strip to dissipate heat or can they just be screwed down to the underside of cabinets?

Will my power supply be adequate?

Thanks.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power supply should be fine. I have a similar setup over my kitchen island. I do suggest mounting them to some 1/16-1/8 aluminum, especially if they are going to run longer than 10 mins at a time. Another thought would be to add a PWM dimmer and only run the LEDs at the lowest needed level in order to preserve life of LEDs.

ro63rto

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that.
I think there's some 1" x 1" 1/16th lengths in her garage.

I think my brother might have an inline push button dimmer left over from his campervan interior project or do you think a rotary one would be more suitable?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the cheaper rotary units off eBay would probably be the easiest for her to use. Very simple, turn up, turn down for off. I keep my kitchen LEDs at about 75 % for most applications and they have about 3 yrs usage now and little to no degradation.

ro63rto

Newly Enlightened
Ok. I think I've found one. Clicks off all the way to the left. That way she can leave the power supply socket alone as it will be almost behind the fridge.

Thanks [emoji106]

hot-led-cool

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking about adding something similar to my kitchen. Would love to see pics of completed projects. anyone know where to find these?

ro63rto

Newly Enlightened
Had to leave this on the "to-do" list as my spinal stenosis decided to change up a gear. Can't bend to mount them yet but they look to be plenty bright.
I got them off ebay china. About $7 a set delivered.