Klarus Mi7 vs Tool 2.0 AA

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
Finally narrowed down my pocket key chain light to either the Klarus Mi7 or the Tool 2.0 AA. I like the rear clicky on the Tool but the have experience with Klarus and their build quality has been great.

Anyone own both or recommend one over the other? I looked at the Eagtec D25A real hard but could not justify double the money.

Thanks.

light-modder

Enlightened
I prefer a rear clickie to a side switch so the Tool gets my vote. The Mi7 is definitely nice though so it's still a good choice. I had the ti version and have had a few AAA Tools. Just ordered my first AA 2.0 it'll be here Monday.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I own multiple copies
of BOTH these flashlights,
and certainly like 'em Both !

But really prefer the Lumintop Tool AA
if I had to choose !

Tail Clicky just "works"
better for me.

BTW --
I also own multiple copies of the
Lumintop/MassDrop Vega (1xAA),
which is quite similar to the Tool,
but has an electronic switch.

And I prefer the Vega best of ALL !

:thumbsup:
_

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
I own multiple copies
of BOTH these flashlights,
and certainly like 'em Both !

But really prefer the Lumintop Tool AA
if I had to choose !

Tail Clicky just "works"
better for me.

BTW --
I also own multiple copies of the
Lumintop/MassDrop Vega (1xAA),
which is quite similar to the Tool,
but has an electronic switch.

And I prefer the Vega best of ALL !

:thumbsup:
_

why do you like the Vega better than the Tool? Just the switch?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone own both or recommend one over the other? I looked at the Eagtec D25A real hard but could not justify double the money.

I vote EagleTac because they are the only one mentioned that offers a 90+ High CRI LED option.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Klarus Mi7 is such a good AA light. That being said, I hope they make a V2.0 and change a few things. It has a 3 lumen mode, but needs a 15-ish lumen mode as well alongside the other two brightest modes. And It would be fantastic if they made a high CRI version. Other than that it is so good and hits basically all the points a compact tailstanding-capable EDC light should have.

terjee

Enlightened
I've owned and EDCed both the Mi7 and Tool AAA (note: triple A).

My personal experience was that the Mi7 was reliable (for me), but that the Tool would accidentally activate, sometimes without me noticing until it came up flat, and failed me when I wanted to use it. That may or may not be person specific, with the way I pocket-carried it.

The lockout on the Mi7 never failed me.

At the end of the day, I stopped EDCing either, but went with a QR Beta on my keychain, and Zebras in jacket and backpack. That combination has left me feeling like I'm done for EDC, and now have something that works very well.

So to sum up my €0.02: Are you sure you want AA over AAA? Also, for jeans-pocket/keychain EDC, self activation can be an issue. For jacket, I think either of the lights mentioned will be just fine. Personally I'd lean towards the Mi7 or D25A.

With the possible exception of self activation and size, I really don't think you'd regret getting any of these lights.

(minor edits for clarity)

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
I've owned and EDCed both the Mi7 and Tool AAA (note: triple A).

My personal experience was that the Mi7 was reliable (for me), but that the Tool would accidentally activate, sometimes without me noticing until it came up flat, and failed me when I wanted to use it. That may or may not be person specific, with the way I pocket-carried it.

The lockout on the Mi7 never failed me.

At the end of the day, I stopped EDCing either, but went with a QR Beta on my keychain, and Zebras in jacket and backpack. That combination has left me feeling like I'm done for EDC, and now have something that works very well.

So to sum up my €0.02: Are you sure you want AA over AAA? Also, for jeans-pocket/keychain EDC, self activation can be an issue. For jacket, I think either of the lights mentioned will be just fine. Personally I'd lean towards the Mi7 or D25A.

With the possible exception of self activation and size, I really don't think you'd regret getting any of these lights.

(minor edits for clarity)

Thanks for the reply. I am looking to key chain pocket carry the light. I currently have a Klarus XT1C. I have used it for over a year but have found it just too big to pocket carry. I am thinking a AA size will work perfect for me. AAA is out as I a looking for at least 400-500 lumes on turbo and for the battery to be USB chargeable.

The price breakdown I have come up with is:

Tool AA 2.0: $25 (Amazon, comes with 14500 usb battery)
Klarus Mi7: $45 ($30 on Amazon, $15 Battery Junction for USB battery shipped)
Eagtac D25A: $70 ($55 IlluminationGear with OSRAM CSLPM1, +$15 for battery)

terjee

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I am looking to key chain pocket carry the light. I currently have a Klarus XT1C. I have used it for over a year but have found it just too big to pocket carry. I am thinking a AA size will work perfect for me. AAA is out as I a looking for at least 400-500 lumes on turbo and for the battery to be USB chargeable.

The price breakdown I have come up with is:

Tool AA 2.0: $25 (Amazon, comes with 14500 usb battery)
Klarus Mi7: $45 ($30 on Amazon, $15 Battery Junction for USB battery shipped)
Eagtac D25A: $70 ($55 IlluminationGear with OSRAM CSLPM1, +$15 for battery)

Unless I've missed something, the D25A will only get you to about 200 lumens, which simplifies things. :)

I'm never more than half a minute away from a Zebra in my jacket or backpack, usually both, so my priorities were a bit different.

It might push your budget, but speaking of Zebras, the SC5w II (AA) and SC64-series (18650, but deceptively small) might be worth a look before you decide.

terjee

Enlightened
Just want to quickly add... check runtimes.
The Mi7 will get you above 500, but only with 14500-batteries, and only for 3
minutes before it steps back to 350 lumens, if which you'll have less than an hour.

That might be fine, just wanted to bring up that above 500 lumens, AA/14500-lights are somewhat limited.

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
Unless I've missed something, the D25A will only get you to about 200 lumens, which simplifies things. :)

I'm never more than half a minute away from a Zebra in my jacket or backpack, usually both, so my priorities were a bit different.

It might push your budget, but speaking of Zebras, the SC5w II (AA) and SC64-series (18650, but deceptively small) might be worth a look before you decide.

The D25A MKII will hit 405 lumes on a AA and 800 lumes on a 14500.

I plan to run a 14500 usb rechargeable battery with it.

It just seems like a lot of money for the light. At $50 with battery it would be fine. But adding the cost of a 14500 just adds up.

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
Just want to quickly add... check runtimes.
The Mi7 will get you above 500, but only with 14500-batteries, and only for 3
minutes before it steps back to 350 lumens, if which you'll have less than an hour.

That might be fine, just wanted to bring up that above 500 lumens, AA/14500-lights are somewhat limited.

The turbo would not need to be run long, I have larger lights for that. But I want the ability to really light things up at a distance if I need to.

I am partly leaning towards the Klarus because it seems like a middle ground between the Eagtac and the Tool.

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
I also ran into the Eagtac D25C. It uses a 16340 but still a good size. It is only $55 on Amazon with battery. But it has the basic XM-L2 emitter. I would rather more of a throw with the XP-L HI or the new OSRAM emitter with 10,000 Center LUX.

Are there any real drawbacks with the basic XM-L2 emitter?

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
I vote EagleTac because they are the only one mentioned that offers a 90+ High CRI LED option.
Thank you everyone for the help. With all the research and new information I am going to get a Eagtac D25C.

But I need help in choosing:

1. D25C mkII titanium XP-L HD - $68 (Floody beam 4250 LUX)

or

2. D25C mkII Aluminium OSRAM $62 (throw beam 10,250 LUX)

or

3. D25C mkII Aluminium XP-L HI $60 (mix light 6,200 LUX)

I want the throw beam to reach out. But should I sacrifice the throw to get the titanium version?????

To get a TI version with throw is $80+, which it too much for me. I already did not want to spend $60 on a key chain light.

Thanks for any input. It is just a EDC light, but it would be great to light up a far away tree line once in awhile.