KLARUS ST-20 known issues???

Z

z_RBWNY

Here's my dilemma. I've only had my Klarus ST-20 for about a month. I love it... but, just recently it's been misbehaving.

Sometimes when I go to turn it on it blinks briefly and shuts off. With each subsequent click of the clickie, ALL it does is flash once. Then if I push to use it tactically, itll go on, but then when I release the button, itll STAY ON (in tactical mode!!) until I click again. Then, if I click and get it to stay on, (if the bezel is loosened for instance); as soon as I tighten it, it goes off. Alternately, if its already in tightened mode and go to increase the brightness using the bezel switch... it goes off.

Eventually, after clicking the main switch several times, or maybe holding it in once it's on, it finally operates correctly.

I can't figure out if it's the electronics, or maybe the clickie switch itself. I got it from Goinggear.com ... so if the unit is truly bad, I suppose I should contact them directly. I love the light, and would consider getting an ST10, but don't want to risk it if there are any recurring issues.

Any suggestions or similar situations with anyone else :confused:

Samy

Enlightened
Hello,

i have had my Klarus ST 20 for only a little while but it performs great. Have you had a look at the head and tailcap threads to make sure they arent dirty and have proper contact? Perhaps they need a clean?

cheers

RBWNY

Enlightened
Thanks! Since submitting that post, I returned the light and swapped it for a new one. The replacement also began to act oddly.. but only intermittantly. Then, I had done some research on cleaning/lubing and after buying what I think is a suitable lube, I've been realizing how dirty some of the threads actually were!

The Klarus 20 had been behaving oddly, BUT even prior to buying the lube, it hadn't duplicated the previous issue. I'm thinking it's cleaned up its act now :naughty:.

Last edited:

Samy

Enlightened
I think i need some lube too, the threads on the head feel 'gritty' no mater how much i clean it! ;)

cheers

Dishonor39

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up 2 ST20s, and I have had the same issue with one of them. One of them works flawlessly, I sat there and clicked it for 20 minutes without a single failure, however the other one fails fairly consistently. I cleaned all contacts with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs, I've tried using Duracells and fresh Eneloops, Ive tightened and loosened the hell out of both the tail cap and the head and the problem persists. I too got mine from GoingGear and am awaiting a response to my email. I have decided to send it back and have ordered an XT2A. I figure there is just an issue with the switch, this is not the first time I have heard about it with that particular model. I trust that Klarus would handle it through warranty replacement, however I feel the XT2A might suit my needs better anyway.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Yikes, I just found this thread. I hope the ST20 isn't problematic as now just ordered a ST20 from goinggear. I couldn't resist the sale price on what I am hoping will be a nice AA flashlight.
I have been sitting "on the fence" for awhile between the ST20 and the newer Tactical switch model. I kind of like the "side switch". I figured I'd take a chance and save myself twenty dollars by going with the "older" model. Besides, I rather like the looks of the ST20 and the fact that it has a clip unlike the new Tactical model. Well.....we shall see. I'll let you know my impressions soon.

Regards,
SixCats!

Samy

Enlightened
Just lube up the threads with plenty of grease. Beware the clip as i can come off. I thought i lost my clip in the car one but i found it the next day. My ST20 has been reverted to my 'front door' light in the house since i now EDC smaller lights. It gets used every night without an dramas.

cheers

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi Samy,

Thanks for the insight/info. I'm glad to hear you still like your ST20.

Regards,
SixCats!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like the switch may need to be tightened.
If you look inside the switch you should see two small round dots. You can use a paperclip or snap ring pliers to twist the ring tighter. This should give better electrical connection.

RBWNY

Enlightened
Hi all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Yikes, I just found this thread. I hope the ST20 isn't problematic as now just ordered a ST20 from goinggear. I couldn't resist the sale price on what I am hoping will be a nice AA flashlight.
I have been sitting "on the fence" for awhile between the ST20 and the newer Tactical switch model. I kind of like the "side switch". I figured I'd take a chance and save myself twenty dollars by going with the "older" model. Besides, I rather like the looks of the ST20 and the fact that it has a clip unlike the new Tactical model. Well.....we shall see. I'll let you know my impressions soon.

Regards,
SixCats!

Surprise!! My "old" post gets revived :naughty:

If it eases your mind any... (with fingers crossed) my "replacement" ST20 has been problem-free. I see however that I was not the ONLY one experiencing these problems.

Anyway GoingGear is very understanding, and if you have a problem, (like dishonor39 has) I'm sure they'll work to resolve it. But hopefully yours will be issue-free! :)

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I just got the Klarus, and i'm doing segmented runtime tests... mainly on the moonlight mode because I am doubting the 200 hours of run time. I've already compensated as well for if the runtimes were on 2500 mAh eneloops as well, the runtime should be around 160-170 hours...but we'll see. Already got 8 hours on the first run, i'm going for a second 8 hour run. this will take FOREVER lol

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update. So i've had the ST20 on moonlight for a little over a week now, 174 hours and 38 minutes, and it's still on. This does not include random usage of the light on few second bursts of high and medium, and walking at night. at (visually) ~ 4-7 lumens of light, this is more than enough to walk around in near complete darkness with, as well as use as a nightlight (just in case). Coupled with a diffuser of some sort and you could use it as an indicator / place marker at night. I've *ahem* taken a few showers with it as well, and it seems to be sealed, at LEAST water resistant. I've also gotten comments throughout the week as to "why my light is on". I say i'm testing the runtime, and they're like -_- and i say "it's okay, I'm using eneloops!" :thumbsup:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't help you with the ST-20, but I got their P2A 2xAA dual mode light this week, along with a JetBeam BA-20 and both are working fine.

Last night I brought both out on a walk and with newly broken in (C9000) Eneloops installed, I actually thought that the 245L Klarus might have been a bit brighter than the 270L JetBeam. They honestly look like they were both made by Chang, the light maker, from the same factory, they're that similar.

Time will tell, I guess?

Chris

Samy

Enlightened
I also have recently bought a Jetbeam BA20 to gift out. I have of course tested it first and I also think the ST20 is a bit brighter, not to mention a less blue tint and nicer beam pattern. They are both at the price atm.

Cheers

1anrm

Enlightened
Can't help you with the ST-20, but I got their P2A 2xAA dual mode light this week, along with a JetBeam BA-20 and both are working fine.

Last night I brought both out on a walk and with newly broken in (C9000) Eneloops installed, I actually thought that the 245L Klarus might have been a bit brighter than the 270L JetBeam. They honestly look like they were both made by Chang, the light maker, from the same factory, they're that similar.

Time will tell, I guess?

Chris

Hi Chris,
Is the knurling the same for both also? how about the rubber switch? which one has a firmer rubber?
thanks

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Chris,
Is the knurling the same for both also? how about the rubber switch? which one has a firmer rubber?
thanks

Midbody, the JB has 1/4"+ more knurling than the Klarus and it's a bit finer in pitch. On the tailcap, the Klarus has a slightly longer section of knurling by 1/4" or so. Both TCs have the scalloped cut out around the clicky to accomodate gloved fingers.

Both rubber booties feel the same, although they're not identical in knurling on their faces. Both pocket clips are strong and sturdy, but not identical. Both heads rotate slightly from low to high, or vice versa. Both use XP-G Crees. Both come with a spare booty, 2 O-rings and a lanyard. The lanyard on the Klarus is shorter, black and has no 'cinch ring' on it. The JB is more of an olive color, has the cinch ring and is slightly longer. I prefer the JB lanyard. Both have the silver plated tail cap srings and both have the tail end of the tube left bare for better conductivity.

The JB BA-20 was $39.90 delivered from Mallard_Spring on Ebay (100%) and the Klarus P2A was $35.00 delivered on Ebay from HarrisDecoy (100%). I'm in the 'let's try a few brands out' camp, at the present moment.

As I said above, I wouldn't be surprised if the same factory made both these lights, they're that much alike.

Chris

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, does anybody know if there are any differences between the ST20 with the single line logo vs one with a two line logo? One of them has the phrasing KLARUS tm ST20 all in one row in plain font, whereas the one I have has KLARUS tm in the first row, and ST20 under that in a second row (the "ST20" is in a dual shaded rectangular box, ST is white in a black shaded box and 20 is black in a white shaded box) That and the font on the 2 row labeled flashlight is slightly bigger than the 1 row one. (I got it from harrisdecoys btw, great customer service)

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
Update. So i've had the ST20 on moonlight for a little over a week now, 174 hours and 38 minutes, and it's still on.

Hey, thanks for that info. I've always wondered how accurate that 200 hour rating is. For reference, the Quark AA^2 at 3 lumens is rated at 120 hours, so it seems the Klarus at 2 lumens for 200 hours is at least just as efficient.

I have not have any issues with my ST20. I've had it for the last year, mostly used in the moonlight mode around the house.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, just another random update, and I don't know why I didn't try this before. I checked the amps of different modes, and the ST20 runs at ~.01A on moonlight, .05 on low, .48A on medium, and a whopping 1.4A on HIGH. I was like WTFBBQ KLARUS, no wonder it gets so hot lol...Anyways, I only tried this because I noticed that the Klarus would drop down to the medium mode after a little under 2 minutes constant on, so i'm GUESSING it has some form of stepdown. I'm also running 2 eneloops, (the costco pack with blue cells). Hope this helps somehow!

Samy

Enlightened
I've had mine for over 12 months now. It still sits by the front door and i or my wife use it every night, sometimes a few times per night, to take dinner out for the big dog outside, wee walk the little inside dog, take rubbish out etc. Still works great. I probably change the eneloops once per month when it starts to stepdown.

cheers