Knife legality in Canada?

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a letter in the mail from customs stating that they are holding a Spyderco Harpy that im waiting for. Traded a light for it. They are claiming the (opens with cetrifugal force) crap. I really love the three options that gave me; 1) protest the claim 2) turn the item over for disposal within 90 days 3) pay to have the item shipped back to the exporter. I can only choose one of the three. I also can request a 365 day extension. Bill C68 is total hogwash. Why is my knife deemed prohibited and not the very same knife that sits in the shop down the street? I have yet to decide what im going to do. Most likely will ask for the extension and figure out how I can (stick it to the man). I did find a similar appeal attempted by Milarm co.

http://www.citt.gc.ca/appeals/decision/ap2c114_e.asp

After reading, my chances of getting the knife are next to nil.

shoe

Newly Enlightened
Next time have it disabled first.
A shopkeeper told me that a manufacturer tightens their knives for shipping.

I had customs seize a knife from a friend. He chose to let it go.

cyberspyder

Enlightened
DUQ said:
I just got a letter in the mail from customs stating that they are holding a Spyderco Harpy that im waiting for. Traded a light for it. They are claiming the (opens with cetrifugal force) crap. I really love the three options that gave me; 1) protest the claim 2) turn the item over for disposal within 90 days 3) pay to have the item shipped back to the exporter. I can only choose one of the three. I also can request a 365 day extension. Bill C68 is total hogwash. Why is my knife deemed prohibited and not the very same knife that sits in the shop down the street? I have yet to decide what im going to do. Most likely will ask for the extension and figure out how I can (stick it to the man). I did find a similar appeal attempted by Milarm co.

http://www.citt.gc.ca/appeals/decision/ap2c114_e.asp

After reading, my chances of getting the knife are next to nil.

WTF. Someone needs to pound some sort of sense into these stupid punk-*** politicians. For all I care, they can say that ANY knife can be opened centrifugally, just a matter of how hard they swing it. BS

Brendan

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
That exactly what I said cyberspyder. I can whip opne most of my knives. So I guess I own prohibited weapons. Big deal. I can just imagine what LEO's carry, oh ya thats right they are exempt from the C68 in regards to knives.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I've read of other people (on other forums) going through this, again with Spydeco knives. I think it must be the spider logo that spooks customs. It might make them think of street gangs, or something (seriously, I believe the same knive with an SAK-type red-cross logo would never get impounded).

Sorry to put it like this, but there is no way to win. Canada customs have complete authority - they literally answer to no-one - so if one of them doesn't like something about a knife you are bringing in, then forget about it. I hate to sound defeatist, but appealing doesn't work. . . because they have complete authority. Don't expect someone like an MP to represent you, because it's a knife and they are so all tough on crime, and parliament is busy trying to sell us stories of brave customs guys defending the borders from terrorists, etc.

It's a crazy situation, particularly when kives like this are being sold in the stores. Let's face it, either the law isn't being applied to everyone, or else they are deciding to protect Canadian retailers - which is just a way of keeping the prices, and with it profits, sky high.

Could you have the knife redirected to another CPF member in the US, who could then sell or swap it for you?

Edit: There's a discussion of this over at the Spyderco forums that you might find interesting (apologies if you have already seen this):
http://66.113.178.251/forums/showthread.php?t=26746

Last edited:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Pax et Lux. Im going to have it shipped back, then go down the street, buy the same knife and carry it in my pocket. Thats the exact words that I'll use when I call them up on Monday. Damn rent o' cops.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
someone should show the canadian customs the beheading videos of captured journalists and soldiers. It's painfuly obvious that the terrorists use dull rusty butterknives.

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Ah, man this totally sucks. We were thinking of emigrating to Canada but there's NO WAY I'm living in a place that uptight about knives...

AAAAARRRRGGHHHH!!! What the hell is the world coming to?

I'd rather stay here and take my chances with the criminals. They took our guns away but we can at least still own knives. Well... for now anyway.

This really blows. Politicians are such asshats.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
Canadians, as a whole, are not uptight about knives and guns so long as they look like they will be useful in the hands of a hunter. They are excedingly uptight about the above if they look like they will be useful in the hands of Asian street gangs.

That's why I personally believe it's the spider logo that causes customs to get so tense about these knives.

Oh, and when I immigrated (from England), none of my stuff in my container got touched by customs. They are only really looking at drugs coming in through the ports.

Why they check knives that are being mailed in, but allow large shipments of the same products to dealers - you can buy Spyderco in the stores - is a different question. No-one in authority here wants to offend big business; they might have political connections that could harm their promotion prospects.