Knife Newbie Questions...

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not wanting to start a new thread I'll ask here, would changing the edge profile on a knife from a 50/50 bevel to a single bevel (chisel) be a big no-no because of the spine taper? For example, say on a chefs knife the spine tapers 4 degrees from spine to edge on both sides, then the actual cutting edge is 15 degrees on both side (30 inclusive), and the idea is to 'erase' the edge on one side so the taper runs right to the cutting edge and decrease the cutting edge on the other side to say 10 degrees creating a new edge that's 90/10 (or something). Is this a creating profile that will be problematic or prone to poor performance? Most chisels I've seen are flat with no taper on one side however I've noticed some Japanese knives run profiles that are 99/1, 95/5. 90/10, 80/20, ect. (which is what I'm looking to due with a western style knife). Any opinions?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not wanting to start a new thread I'll ask here, would changing the edge profile on a knife from a 50/50 bevel to a single bevel (chisel) be a big no-no because of the spine taper? For example, say on a chefs knife the spine tapers 4 degrees from spine to edge on both sides, then the actual cutting edge is 15 degrees on both side (30 inclusive), and the idea is to 'erase' the edge on one side so the taper runs right to the cutting edge and decrease the cutting edge on the other side to say 10 degrees creating a new edge that's 90/10 (or something). Is this a creating profile that will be problematic or prone to poor performance? Most chisels I've seen are flat with no taper on one side however I've noticed some Japanese knives run profiles that are 99/1, 95/5. 90/10, 80/20, ect. (which is what I'm looking to due with a western style knife). Any opinions?

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but this dude can make VG-10 perform like S30V, via angles......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSDFLgq4EDs

Im sure someone with more knowledge than I will jump in here.

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
P A S 1, what you're describing sounds similar to one of the grinds used by Emerson on their knives. The primary grind is a traditional V, but there's only an edge bevel on one side. Essentially a hybrid V/chisel grind. It seems like it should work okay, but you might check in at one of the dedicated knife forums and talk to some Emerson fans to get their perspective (or perhaps an Emerson owner will chime in here). Just curious, is there a specific reason you want to go this way rather than just sharpening the existing edge bevels at a shallower angle?

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
G. Scott H. That's exactly what I'm thinking of, thanks, I'll check out a Emerson forum. As for why, I'm just looking into it, not sure if I'll actually do it. Pretty happy with the edges I get now, I do a shallow secondary a with micro bevel that's slightly higher and it works well but I was thinking of doing a little experimenting with an older knife. Thanks again.

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
G. Scott H. That's exactly what I'm thinking of, thanks, I'll check out a Emerson forum. As for why, I'm just looking into it, not sure if I'll actually do it. Pretty happy with the edges I get now, I do a shallow secondary a with micro bevel that's slightly higher and it works well but I was thinking of doing a little experimenting with an older knife. Thanks again.

Nothing wrong with experimenting. That's a big part of the fun of any hobby, interest, whatever. :thumbsup:

Knivery

Newly Enlightened
I have several Emersons and think you should try that. First go to the site though and research their grinds and the reasons they grind that way. There are a lot of myths about chisel grind. Personally I like it and never had a problem with it.

MrJino

Enlightened
You can visit a knife website and filter folding knives by price and look at all the cool different knives.
I don't know if I'm allowed to link, if you PM, i can list a few reputable knife sellers online.

I'm strange though, my knife costs almost 3 times as much as my Alpha ready made, which is an expensive flashlight...

PartyPete

Enlightened
I owned a Gerber for a few years. I wanted to like it but the lock up was sloppy and there was too much blade play. It eventually failed, the lock is toast.

I don't really hear much praise for Gerber these days. Spyderco is safe bet. Tenacious for a budget, Paramilitary2 for excellence.

Lots of good brands to consider.

Tom Krein

Newly Enlightened
I've seen several mentions of Queen Cutlery... I would recommend skipping them. they also make the Schatt and Morgan knives. Fit and finish is really hit/miss and management doesn't seem to care. If you are looking for a slip joint take a look at Great Eastern Cutlery or Swiss Army. Can't go wrong with either brand in my opinion!