Knowledgeable CPF'ers, please post your reviews of LED lanterns!

Eileen New York

Newly Enlightened
A number of new LED lanterns that look interesting have been introduced lately, with only sketchy information from manufacturers.

Other lanterns that have been around for a while also have very limited information available.

Would like to see reviews from knowledgeable CPF'ers of these lanterns:

• d.light S20 Solar LED Lantern.

• Coleman LED Double Edge Lantern, 4D, rechargeable, 300 lumens and boasts of soft glow setting.

• Primus Polaris XL Z-Power P4, P-373020, 3D, Seoul P4 White LED, 12 hours @160 lumens.

• Polaris Power Lantern P-373030, 4D, Seoul P4 White LED, 23 hours @180 lumens.

• Dorcy 41-3108 160 Lumen 4D lantern, 170 hours runtime on high, slightly warm tint.

• NEBO Weatherrite Lantern 5949, 6D, 610 Lumens, 30 hours runtime.

• NEBO Weatherrite 5959, Eco Lantern, 157 lumens, rechargeable solar crank (brochure says 6V 2.5AH valve regulated rechargeable battery; package says 3.6 V 1200MA Ni-MH rechargeable battery).

• Ultrafire ZF-60147 Cree P4 3-Mode LED Lantern, 4AAA, 160 lumens.

If you have any of these lanterns, and don't want to do a full-scale review, comments would be welcome.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Coleman Double Edge. Some thoughts... It uses 4Ds, OR the SLA pack, OR put 4nimh D's into the alk pack for longest runtime and best performance. It has IIRC, 15 leds, 5 facing in 3 directions. Sounds awful, but the effect is 100% smooth, artifact and ring free light. Nice job by Coleman. The leds have 2 levels (bright and brighter, lol). There is a rechargeable flashlight of decent quality stowed in the center. It contains it's own rechargeable batts, which charge from the central battery @ 100ma draw. It can be turned on via the lantern's main switch and it's output is diffused in a circular strip all around the lantern; again, perfect diffusion achieved. It pops out at the push of a release button, and is spring loaded. The bail can be tilted slightly to remain in the up position for easier grabbing. On high, it draws a bit over 800ma. Overall, it's larger than some lanterns, but looks pretty cool to boot.

Eileen New York

Newly Enlightened
The site says high is 300 lumens and medium is 200 lumens.

They claim 20 hours runtime on high. Have you had a chance to see if that's accurate?

What is the appearance of the tint?

Poppy

Flashaholic
For the most part, are these lanterns regulated? I'd think not, and that the output starts at whatever and continually goes down from there. The runtimes are they real? Or do they run down to just a couple of lumins?

Last year, I bought a Northwest Territory rechargeable lantern from K-mart (about $25) it has a 12w spiral fluorescent bulb (about 700-800 lumins) powered by a 6v 4.5 Ah SLA battery. I tested it and it ran for 5 hours on a charge but then it started to appreciably decrease in output, I guess one would get 5.5 maybe 6 hours out of it.
If it is for car camping... it can be recharged from the cigar lighter and be ready for use the following night.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost never regulated as runtime is more important than performance with a rapid drop to zero in an area light that will get used for blackouts, etc. and yes, usually the huge runtimes are quoted till the battery is almost totally exhausted.