L11C

Wendee

Enlightened
I just did a brief read of this thread and want to say I killed an L11c with a 2 ft drop onto a driveway. Wouldn't light after that and just got very hot. That was its first drop. I've bought another soon after but never really trusted it for carry. Only gets occaisonal use around the house.

Yikes. Sorry that happened to you. :(
I bought a "backup" L11C just in case something happened to my original one (or in case they discontinue it). It's still my favourite AA flashlight. I only use mine in the house and after reading your post I won't ever carry mine outside. They do seem somewhat "delicate" (for lack of a better word). For the price this light really can't be beat but like you, I'll be careful with mine. I guess you really like the flashlight too because you bought another one. :)

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I'd gladly pay $50 for a light with performance like this, but with a much better build quality...

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can confirn, do not drop it onto a hard surface, mine is dead now. Ill have to open it up and see what went wrong

Wendee

Enlightened
I'd gladly pay $50 for a light with performance like this, but with a much better build quality...
I found a similar light. PM sent so I don't take this thread off topic. :)

Can confirn, do not drop it onto a hard surface, mine is dead now. Ill have to open it up and see what went wrong
Oh boy. That's a shame! I'm sorry that happened to your L11C. :sigh:

I wonder what's going on with the L11C lately. That's two people in the past week. Yikes.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something in there shorted. It gets warm to the touch now even though the LED doesnt light.

perhaps I'll see if there is any kind of warranty on it. Mine hit some bathroom tile from about 3 feet. Plan B is to open it no see if there is anything obvious. Plan C is to replace the driver.

Last edited:

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Yeah that sounds exactly like what happened to mine then. I intended it to replace my microstream as a primary edc but after that I kept looking. Ended up with my SC52d and haven't looked back since. Has been dropped and otherwise beat up with the nicks to prove it but it works like a charm. I do miss the tint on the L11c but the d tint on zebra is really pleasing to my eye as well. FWIW mine wasn't this week. I killed mine last september. I was just a lurker then. I do really like it, I just don't trust it. Current one is a 4 mode orange.

Last edited:

lyyyghtey

Newly Enlightened
Yeah that sounds exactly like what happened to mine then. I intended it to replace my microstream as a primary edc but after that I kept looking. Ended up with my SC52d and haven't looked back since. Has been dropped and otherwise beat up with the nicks to prove it but it works like a charm. I do miss the tint on the L11c but the d tint on zebra is really pleasing to my eye as well. FWIW mine wasn't this week. I killed mine last september. I was just a lurker then. I do really like it, I just don't trust it. Current one is a 4 mode orange.

Yes I agree from experience that Zebralights seem to be pretty rugged. But...

I killed two L10s back in the day and my brother killed his, all by short (2~3 foot), seemingly inconsequential drops. One being onto a wood floor from 2 feet.

I have never had any other light die irrecoverably from a fall, and since I'm tall and use my lights at work frequently, 4 foot drops onto all sorts of surfaces are common. A friend killed his Fenix... with a 10 foot drop onto concrete! I dare say this kind of failure from 2 feet up is pretty much unheard of with most lights.

It's disheartening to hear two reports of this same failure in a supposedly "fixed" release. And they didn't reduce the reset time to something reasonable, even though many requested it. It's as though they just didn't care, re-releasing it with no actual revision.

I was in fact getting ready to grab an L11C while they're still available, but now I probably won't. Sad.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Is this one made by Acebeam too? Or just the twisty model (L10)?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this one made by Acebeam too? Or just the twisty model (L10)?

I did not know that, thanks for helping solve a puzzle
http://www.acebeam.com/mini-flashlight
the acebeam version of the L10 has strobe, the SBFlashlights version does not. The acebeam version does not offer Nichia afaict
the L11c is not on the Acebeam site, but I dont doubt it was made by them.

My guess is Acebeam does make them both, on contract for SBF aka L3 Illumination, to their requested configuration (Nichia with no strobe)

it seems quite common that various vendors use Chinese manufacturers to make exclusive configurations. eg i've noted similarities between Maratac, and Prometheus Beta, to Lumintop Tool and Worm, respectively.

I still have not dropped my L11c and like it very much. But if I wanted a drop proof light AA light, I would be looking at Zebralight SC5. I just wish they would offer 90+ CRI Nichia 219b. Another drop proof AA option is Malkoff, I just wish they did not use PWM and offered Nichia also.

somebody build a drop proof, no PWM, 90+ CRI single AA please :)

I wonder if there is a way to pot an L11c after the fact, so it can survive dropping.

markr6

Flashaholic
My guess is Acebeam does make them both, on contract for SBF aka L3 Illumination, to their requested configuration (Nichia with no strobe)

I'm pretty sure Craig puts the Nichia in. I remember people complaining about the off centered LEDs and him mentioning using something to help center them on future models. I forgot about the strobe though. Sounds like Acebeam would handle that.

I'm carrying my L11C today. Great light. Loud switch. Not bomb proof but it's so slim and compact you can't expect much.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I did not know that, thanks for helping solve a puzzle
http://www.acebeam.com/mini-flashlight
the acebeam version of the L10 has strobe, the SBFlashlights version does not. The acebeam version does not offer Nichia afaict
the L11c is not on the Acebeam site, but I dont doubt it was made by them.

it seems quite common that various vendors use Chinese manufacturers to make exclusive configurations. eg i've noted similarities between Maratac, and Prometheus Beta, to Lumintop Tool and Worm, respectively.

I still have not dropped my L11c and like it very much. But if I wanted a drop proof light AA light, I would be looking at Zebralight SC5. I just wish they would offer 90+ CRI Nichia 219b. Another drop proof AA option is Malkoff, I just wish they did not use PWM and offered Nichia also.

somebody build a drop proof, no PWM, 90+ CRI single AA please :)

I wonder if there is a way to pot an L11c after the fact, so it can survive dropping.

If they built that I'd buy a couple. It's the only light I've managed to kill. My edc gear doesn't get abused (well not too much) but all my edc lights, knives, and multitools have their fair share of battle scars. Dropping is just an ordinary life situation a light should be able to survive. While they're at it I'd buy a couple aaa versions as well.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
-But if I wanted a drop proof light AA light, I would be looking at Zebralight SC5. I just wish they would offer 90+ CRI Nichia 219b.

-Somebody build a drop proof, no PWM, 90+ CRI single AA please

Yes please!

lyyyghtey

Newly Enlightened
Yes please!

Yes, and I'll add a vote for a AAA clicky Nichia (W/L11C UI but shorter reset) as well!

Has anyone been able to tell what dies in these lights? Potting is an interesting idea. I've emitter swapped a couple L10s (which didn't kill them) and I've taken apart my two that died, but no obvious failure mode was visible.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now to find it a new heart. Happy to say the LED still works fine when connected directly to a CR123A. Driver is 13.5 mm anyone know of a replacement lol.

YzQCtG9.jpg

Last edited: