L3 Illumination's L10 Nichia 219

Imon

Enlightened
I'm a fan of the 219, it's my first high cri and it's like an incandescent bulb, maybe better. Using this as a tailstanding bedside light for when I'm on my tablet b4 going to sleep, and it's pleasant.

That's interesting.

One reason the 219 is so popular on CPF is because it's unlike an incandescent. Of all high CRI LEDs out there the 219 has the coolest CCT and is most like daylight.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Mine gets hot on an Eneloop too but I guess it depends on what you mean by hot. I think the heat dissipation is pretty good on such a small thing with a tiny head.

Would an eneloop heat up more than an alkaline, due to the same amt of current at a lower voltage or something?

I'm just going by the only other 1xAA light I've owned which was a 4sevens Mini MA which I could leave on high for an hour with an alkaline and it didn't get anywhere near this hot.

Can't test the mini w/ a NiMH tho bec I gave it to my Dad...

Sent from Winterfell using a Raven

Photon

Newly Enlightened
Woo-hoo! I just got a 4-mode, Nichia 219 today. Outstanding little light.

All the features I've been looking for:

• Current regulated -- no PWM.
  • Lighting Sequence: LL-L-M-H
  • Ideal Moonlight low-low.
  • No memory. Always comes on in Moonlight.
  • Well spaced output levels.
  • Excellent tint.
  • Excellent price.

The only other lights that met my most important features are the Foursevens Quarks, and the sadly defunct Preon Revo. Between the lower cost and smaller form factor, I think this little light beats the Quarks.

Tip 'o the hat to Sanjin at SBFlashlights. He quickly emailed about the unavailability of the first color choice. I thought "Hey, with all those features, I really don't care about the body color at all!" I wound up with Natural, which I think I like better than the original black. It is reminiscent of the first Arc AAA's for those who remember.

There is no issue with the LED being off-center.

When I first saw a post for the light (on CPF Marketplace I think), it said something like "...Battery: AA Alkaline or NiMh". I misread it and thought it was a AAA battery, which I prefer because of the smaller form factor. After ordering, I was somewhat disappointed when I reread it and saw it was really a AA battery. But now that I see how nice it is, and the form factor for a AA is about as small as you can get, I may change my preferences.

Now, when will they make a AAA version?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would an eneloop heat up more than an alkaline, due to the same amt of current at a lower voltage or something?

I don't really know. I've only run an alkaline in this thing for a max of 10 minutes. It did get hot but without a thermometer, I can't tell if it was hotter or not. There is a big difference in current draw after 5 minutes at the tail but what the difference to the LED is would only be a guess. Still, after driver loss etc, I don't think it would be that much unless the driver is the source of the heat

When I did the measurements, I wrapped rubber bands around the battery and head so it was tubeless and the head got pretty warm. The fact that when I run it in the tube and tube gets warm as well suggests very good heat sinking.

markr6

Flashaholic
When I did the measurements, I wrapped rubber bands around the battery and head so it was tubeless and the head got pretty warm. The fact that when I run it in the tube and tube gets warm as well suggests very good heat sinking.

I never really thought about this until last night. I pulled 4 Eneloops off the charger and they were warm but nothing out of the ordinary. I let them sit for a few minutes and put one in the L10. I immediately used it to take my dog outside. The whole body of the L10 heated up right away from the battery before I even turned it on. I'd agree with the very good heat sinking!

Even when I did a runtime test on high (75 minutes or so), the L10 didn't seem excessively hot.

Last edited:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Has anyone worked out a sensible pocket clip solution yet? Or a tail-standing compatible lanyard attachment? Maybe I just need thinner cord...

Lithium466

Enlightened
Pocket clip should be available soon, if not yet available :) See CPF marketplace thread.

markr6

Flashaholic
I was a little critical at first, but I really love this light!!! I just can't get over how small and bright it is...and I'm talking about the lower output Nichia 219! I would like to see the XP-G2 in person, but I swore I would never buy another cool white.

A few more comments:

1. Just like when I had some Fenix E11's, there's a grayish or black residue on the threads. I read this was from the aluminum actually wearing. Is this a big concern regarding the life of the light? I use Super Lube on my lights and the operation seems nice and smooth.

2. The 3 mode version is definitely too bright on low for me after waking up in the dark. I tired it this morning and it still lit my room with ceiling-bounced light. I knew this before purchasing but 4 modes just seemed like too much to cycle thru to get to high. I like the 3 mode, but I may get just one 4 mode to keep on the night stand or when staying in a hotel.

3. No offense, but I think that orange color is nasty...and everyone seems to love it!! I'm really surprised by that. Are people choosing this so it's easier to find in the dark or in a pack?

markr6

Flashaholic
Just slips over the body. Here's what I posted in CPFMP:

Got my second L10 and two clips. FAST SHIPPING! The light looks and works perfect just like the first one I purchased.

The clip slides over a pocket very easily so you don't have to force it on like some I've tired. But the attachment to the flashlight itself is pretty weak and I actually pushed the L10 right thru when pushing it into my pocket. This is hard to avoid without having a decicated groove in the flashlight body. I will try to squeezing the clip to bend the metal and make a tighter fit.

I purchased the clips to simply serve as an anti-roll device, so I'm happy! They're small and hardly add any bulk to the light which is great.

L10_clip

Edit: I just noticed this clip looks just like the one in one of selfbuilt's reviews (Titanium Innovations Illuminati)

Last edited:

low

Enlightened
I got 2 orange one's (4 mode) and for someone that hates twistys I love these! The tint just rocks, like someone else said the modes are very well spaced and with a very smooth twist. A happy camper indeed, just ordered 2 more with clips for gifts.

bkb

Newly Enlightened
I got two l10s about a month ago after reading about them on this forum ( been buying a lot of flashlights lately because of this forum). One is an xpg2 in green and the other a Nichia 219 in orange, wanted to see the difference between the two. I have to say the 219 does put out a much more pleasent light when walking around the house at night. Iuse the Xpg one to walk around outside because its brighter. Its my first high cri light and I'll probably be buying more CRIs to try out.

amanichen

Enlightened
I keep hearing about "battery crushing" and a "foam pad" ...does this light actually crush or do the contacts have some spring to them?

I haven't been able to find any photos of inside the head or tail.

turkeylord

Enlightened
There is no spring, the foam donut is to separate the +contact on the battery from the contact on the driver when you unscrew the head.

I've been using my L10 for 4 1/2 months now and I've never "crushed" a battery.

I don't mean to stir the pot here, but I don't think anyone ever has. I'm not sure it would be possible to cause any real damage to a cell unless you're a complete oaf and tighten the head to a setting of "gorilla". You're more likely to damage the driver board IMO. I think people that worry about such things are wasting their time. :)

The head contact is simply a PCB with a big pad exposed and foam donut. The tail contact is just a small post machined into the bottom of the tube that is very similar to the positive bump on a AA.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I keep hearing about "battery crushing" and a "foam pad" ...does this light actually crush or do the contacts have some spring to them?

I haven't been able to find any photos of inside the head or tail.

c94b2ed5-97cb-4887-b203-0272b44ddef7_zps8e36fda6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

.... I don't think anyone ever has. I'm not sure it would be possible to cause any real damage to a cell unless you're a complete oaf and tighten the head to a setting of "gorilla"...

I've managed to put a tiny dent into the -'ve end of a battery, its probably just aesthetic though. (And it might have been a little bit deliberate to see how gorilla proof it was before giving any as gifts...) :oops:

Last edited: