L91 failure rate / fragility

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this kind of info is most helpful, and what forums like ours are all about.

Those leaking cells seem really odd, are there any more details about that ? Storage conditions ? In use or not ? Source of cells ? etc ....

As we all know, for the typical ( > 99.99% ) consumer, batteries are basically a blank metal can with a printed wrapper that one hopes is "correct" :eek:

(in reference to my post # 15 with photos)

It was in use on my Panasonic Split-type Inverter Air-Conditioner Remote control. After years of use, the lcd display started to flicker, then weakened. I checked on the batteries to check the voltage and was surprised the Ultimate Lithiums leaked and spewed corrosion.
XRbeLkg.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you happen to remember the voltage ?

I still have both batteries with me.

I just tested it, both at a stable 1.783v, still a long way to go actually had they not corroded.

The ironic thing here is I 'ate' the Energizer Ultimate Lithium costs for peace-of-mind protection against corrosion....(after seeing the so much cheaper alkalines leak even before running out of juice in my other friend's Remotes)..only to have this happen to me!

Edit: Photo added

nwDotmz.jpg

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have about 4 of them these came in the SF 2AA when they used to make them. This is of course few years back, no issues, I have them in one remote that takes 2xAA and no problem. The remote would be $50 to replace so that is why the Lithium.
The other 2 i just keep as spares.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ironic thing here is I 'ate' the Energizer Ultimate Lithium costs for peace-of-mind protection against corrosion....(after seeing the so much cheaper alkalines leak even before running out of juice in my other friend's Remotes)..only to have this happen to me!

Duracell and Energizer also have warranties against leaks from their alkaline cells. But we all know how much they leak anyway. I think the companies know that only about 0.1% of people will actually bother to make a claim when the batteries leak.

I use Eneloops in everything. Never had a leak, but I have heard that some people have seen NiMH cells leak. So, I guess nothing is guaranteed.

macavada

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else have the first battery in a series of AA ultimate lithium batteries in a device go completely dead... (Zero volts!!!) ...but the other batteries measure full voltage? I now have nearly a dozen that this has happened with.
In remotes with two batteries one battery goes dead within a week. The remote will still operate within 4 feet, but if I'm that close, I may as well use the controls on the device.
This only happens with these "ULTIMATE" lithiums.
Christo_pull_hair.gif

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
3qvnFu0.jpg
[
UiVW37k.jpg

Well, my 2013 batch of Energizer AAA Ultimate Lithium batteries, which the factory guaranteed "Not to Leak", leaked!

Are you sure something didn't get spilled on your remote? These batteries don't have aqueous electrolyte in them, if they did it would react with the lithium inside the cell.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure something didn't get spilled on your remote? These batteries don't have aqueous electrolyte in them, if they did it would react with the lithium inside the cell.

Yes, I am sure nothing got spilled into my remote. If you look closely, the corrosive liquid have seeped out of the cell through the side of the button top, eating away the label at different levels of damage.

48FJVLK.jpg
[/IMG]
civCFFI.jpg
[/IMG]

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is weird. The electrolyte is 1, 2-dimethoxyethane and 1, 3-dioxolane, if that is what leaked, you don't want to touch it or breath it in. It is also highly flammable. That much of the stuff should give a tremendous either smell, even a few parts per million in air gives off a very strong Oder.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost feel like somebody wrapped you some alkaline and said they were lithium. I thought that earlier then you said you bought them from a bulk store. I'm not saying that's the case but it kind of makes sense

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I very much appreciate a primary alternative to alkalines. I also appreciate lithium primaries' cold weather performance and long shelf life.

Unfortunately, I have had a high failure rate with Energizer Ultimate Lithium L91 AAs over several years from several packages; this tells me that it can't be that I got a bad batch once. In my experience lithium AAs have been fragile and inconsistent in quality. This is disappointing to me because so much of their appeal is that they're supposed to be so reliable and ready to go.

For those who use primary lithium AAs and AAAs, what has your experience been?

You're an outlier.

How do you muck up AA batteries...do you chew on them?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Chris

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of a possibility I was wondering about as well ... :thinking:

But wouldn't explain the 1.78V though :duh2:

Yeah that's a good point. I didn't even see that picture until you mentioned it. So strange. I just find it hard to believe that I've never ever had a failure of any kind with them in any format.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
L91s are still a better choice even with a rare leak and some bad cells comparing them with alkalines leaking on me almost every year for the last 20 years I have a bunch of Energizer lithium primaries and NONE have ever leaked a few have gone soft on me.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're an outlier.

How do you muck up AA batteries...do you chew on them?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Chris

:crackup:
That's exactly why I started this thread, I don't chew on them or anything!

In all seriousness I treat them the same as all my other batteries and chemistries, which is why I wondered what others' experience has been with them.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you to everybody in the discussion, I'm so glad to see CPF in such good action in 2019.

Burgess

Flashaholic
VERY interesting thread here !

lovecpf

I'm also a BIG fan of
Energizer L91 batteries.
For two decades now !

Never had ANY issues with them.
( for what it's worth )

I never buy 'em in Bulk.
Always in a factory package.
(retail, or industrial)

One point of possible interest:

Several years ago, Energizer shifted
production from USA to Singapore.

I myself haven't detected ANY
difference, but who knows . . . .

Oh, and BTW --
The "leaking" photos shown above
are not L91 cells. They're L92 (AAA).

FWIW

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, and BTW --
The "leaking" photos shown above
are not L91 cells. They're L92 (AAA).

FWIW

Yes, they are L92 (AAA) as clearly stated in my initial post # 15, yet they are still Energizer Ultimate Lithiums too.

...and btw, I already sent Energizer a photo of the embossed Production Date and they acknowledged them as genuine.

Last edited:

Latest posts