LA Times article about Mag-Light and Bison

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by brightnorm:
Unfortunately, I was disappointed with both lights because of their inconsistant, somewhat ragged, slightly yellowish beam that could never be considered bright, even with fresh batteries.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When I got mine, I struggled for a long time trying to remove the spare lamp from the opening it is stored in, and ended up with broken glass all over the place for my efforts. And the original bulb is stuck in there so tight I'll probably end up breaking that too when I try to remove it.

When Monte contacted me and I went to re-test the Bison, it wouldn't work at all. For some reason, the batteries no longer make contact with the tailcap assembly, so it's a light I'll probably never use again.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
BN, I think the point Al is trying to make is that ALL of Surefire's line has textured reflectors, I think that he may have missed the part about FOCUSING textured reflectors. My US has the Full focusing textured reflector. The whole reflecting surface looks just like that of a p series lamp reflector... Works great! I actually bought the demo rather than the one that had stippled area close to bulb and the rest being like that of a mag reflector. Regards to all. Mike

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting numbers in the article. If Mag had sales of $70M last year, then those rumors that Surefire did $300M last year are probally bogus. The worldwide flashlight sales for 2000 was estimated at less than $800M according to one report I read. The sales leader is Rayovac.

Then again, why would someone who should have had a good knowledge of Mag's internal numbers ask for $200M in palimony if Mag only did $70M in sales each year? That is sales, not profit.

Doesn't seem to match up in my opinion.

Peter

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Gransee:
Interesting numbers in the article. If Mag had sales of $70M last year, then those rumors that Surefire did $300M last year are probally bogus. The worldwide flashlight sales for 2000 was estimated at less than $800M according to one report I read. The sales leader is Rayovac.
Peter
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Peter,

Is it possible that Surefire is exaggerating less than it appears, since their flashlights are so much more expensive than MAG's that fewer units might produce greater $ ?

Brightnorm

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
One of the thing which MagLite has been able to do since its incpetion is to keep the manufacturing in U.S.

When one looks at other comparable flashlights (at the same price point), the build quality is way above anybody else (once again, in the same category, so leave Surfires and Arc out of this discussion, please!)

Look at Brinkmans or Ozark Trails or Eveready or Rayovac or any other knock-offs then pick up a comparable MagLite. It may sound funny but if you ignore the beam quality and the brightness, in every other category MagLite wins. At least the brightness is easily and cheaply fixable by puting another bulb.

I have to give Tony M for being able to build quality flashlights at affordable price still in good old USA.

I have no idea where Bison is being built but is probably NOT in USA.

- Vikas

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Bushman:
...My US has the Full focusing textured reflector. The whole reflecting surface looks just like that of a p series lamp reflector... Works great! I actually bought the demo rather than the one that had stippled area close to bulb and the rest being like that of a mag reflector. Regards to all. Mike
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mike,

Have you had a chance to compare your fully textured reflector with the partly textured one? I have the partly textured reflector and it would be interesting to see the differences.

Brightnorm

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Vikas Sontakke:
Look at Brinkmans or Ozark Trails or Eveready or Rayovac or any other knock-offs then pick up a comparable MagLite. It may sound funny but if you ignore the beam quality and the brightness, in every other category MagLite wins. At least the brightness is easily and cheaply fixable by puting another bulb.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In my recent comparison of the Brinkmann and Maglight products - I choose the Brinkmann as superior by a small but noticable margin. The Brinkmann I compared was made in the United States.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Vikas Sontakke:
....I have to give Tony M for being able to build quality flashlights at affordable price still in good old USA.....

I have no idea where Bison is being built but is probably NOT in USA.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bison flashlights are made in the United States.

Brightnorm

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Amazon has the MagRechargeable for $84 shipped (only for today). They also have spare bulb for $6.

Too bad that my finance minister won't let me buy it :-(

- Vikas

carbonsparky

Enlightened
I have seen a lot of lights that could be called mag knock offs but Bison is not one of them. Mr. Maglicia needs to get a life. We need more small companies out there like Bison, they are the ones that bring us the advances we like to see in any product line. Mag (when they first started) brought us the machined metal flashlight, Photon has brought us some of the first usable led lights. These new starts sometimes really hit the mark. It would be nice to give Bison their chance at making a name for themselves. Who knows maybe a little competion might shake some new product out of Mag-lite. Almost all the other light manufacturers are using the newest tech. to improve their products. Mag still depends on their old reliables. Good for them, but instead of worrying about their little competition they should take a look at their big competition like the Ray-o-vacs, Brinkmanns and etc.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you read the news story... you might come away feeling you'd never buy another MagLite, ever again.

Geez, what a tale of dishonor and self-absorbed ego.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Velcro:
Slick, which models did you compare?

Greetings,
Velcro
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have been buying several Brinkmann Legends in 2AA and 3AA and using them for mods - so I wind up completely tearing them apart and seeing everything inside and how they're made.

I recently purchased a 3D Mag & 2AA Mini-Mag combo complete with batteries for $19. I mostly bought it to use the 3D for an extra hydra since I already had a couple older 2AA mini-mags.

In the beginning I bought the Brinkmann's because they had the tailcap switch to make mods easier. But after inspecting the latest 2AA Mini-mag, I am shocked. This thing is "tinny" next to the older ones. The machining has gone completely downhill. I must say that both of the Mini-mags I have that are over 10 years old are a little bit better than the Brinkmann's

In the end, both are made in the USA. The Brinkmann is nicer in my opinion but does cost just a little bit more too. Mini-mags go for $8 or $9 around here and the Brink 2AA for $10. Unfortunately, I have to pay $19 for the 3AA because you can't find them in stores.

Advantage - Brinkmann..

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
... If Mag had sales of $70M last year, then those rumors that Surefire did $300M last year are probally bogus. The worldwide flashlight sales for 2000 was estimated at less than $800M according to one report I read. ......
Peter
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Peter,
Is that report available to read at all ?

Brightnorm, Peter,
in no way shape form or fashion could SureFire's sales be even a noticeable fraction of $300M.
It's only a small factory for a start ....

The Court TV episode was shown over here in the UK some years ago. I think at that time Mr. Maglica's personal worth was officially given as $800M.
(I'll bet the Mag Instrument sales figure of $70M was for domestic sales only, or something like that.) "Mrs." Maglica also claimed that she inspired the design of the Mag Solitaire - that was seen as a large part of her argument.

Mag once publicised that they'd spent ~$22M in legal fees to *protect* their name/patents.

Jahn

DonL

Enlightened
... Then again, why would someone who should have had a good knowledge of Mag's internal numbers ask for $200M in palimony if Mag only did $70M in sales each year? That is sales, not profit.

Doesn't seem to match up in my opinion.

Peter
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My best guess is that like the finances in many large corporations, the palimony would come from the "other" budget...
wink.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by carbonsparky:
...I have seen a lot of lights that could be called mag knock offs but Bison is not one of them...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Absolutely agree. Even though I no longer use my Bisons (explained in earlier post), I give them great credit for an original, even unique design. If only the two brothers had gotten the bugs out and improved the beam they might have had a real winner. Now with Maglica going after them, they may never have that chance.

Brightnorm

Latest posts