Lantern recommendation needed!

Akilae

Newly Enlightened
After my last thread asking for a flashlight recommendation for my folks, things have gone very well. My folks are very happy with the recommended product. Now I am in need of the collective intelligence once again. A bit of background. I am in NYC, and we're still recovering from Sandy. Personally I'm in a good spot, as we have electricity and water. My girlfriend is less so, being stuck without power. I've lent her all my glowsticks, cell phone chargers, spare flashlights, batteries, etc... However this whole experience has had me rethinking my approach, mainly the glowsticks. They're nice, but not very efficient. Each stick lasts 12 hours (good), can't be turned off (bad), finicky when it comes to storage (bad), and takes up space (not really a problem). I'll still keep glowsticks around (they don't need electricity!), but I'm thinking of getting a glowstick supplement for more efficient area-wide lighting. This being CPF, let us assume for the moment that flashlight diffusers do not exist... I want something my girlfriend could just turn on, place in the room, and not worry about.

Requirements:
-A lantern-ish type of arrangement. Electric glowsticks might be acceptable.
-MUST run on AAs. I have standardized on Eneloop AAs, and would like to stick to them.
-Weather proof and rugged would be ideal, very weather resistant and rugged would be acceptable.

A few candidates I've identified so far:
The Favourlight LTC-20E4AA
AA Krill Light (Heard they're not rugged though)

Any recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks!

weez82

Enlightened
Tailstanding a flashlight works great plus you still have the flashlight when it's needed. I really dont see a reason to get a bulky lantern when flashlight technology is so advanced and affordable. Also, putting a diffuser cone on a light isnt at all complex. I have more trust in flashlights then I do a lantern. The Xeno E03 is a solid light with a simple UI, can be tail stand, and the Fenix diffuser cone fits it. I'll go for a well built flashlight that I can tailstand over a similarly priced lantern any day. Lanterns are a thing of the past

recycledelectrons

Newly Enlightened
The best lanterns I have are "Energizer Weather Ready Folding Area Lanterns" that take "D" cell batteries. Fluorescent lanterns really light up a room. Get some dry cells for it...or have your GF recharge the rechargeables off her car's cigarette lighter (but hide the charger or her window might get broken.) They claim to run 135 hours off a set of "D" cells.

herosemblem

Enlightened
I don't have any experience with the Brunton Lamplight 360, but I do have two Brunton Glorb LEDs and love them for camping and personal area lighting. No issues.
I intend to invest in a Lamplight 360 once I sell some gear.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Black Diamond Apollo Lantern that might be worth looking into - it's considered to be very good in its class, but I also prefer my EDC flashlight with a DIY wallet diffuser... it's on me 24/7, and is also more efficient with higher highs and lower lows.

I've learned to leave the illumination to the flashlight companies.

GRunner

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have to agree with Ayeaux, those Cree 40426 (110 lumens - 3AA's) lanterns are terrific. Nice area light and you can screw the top off making it a floody flashlight.
They also have the Cree 40450, same thing but 185 lumens and 4AA's.

chefwong

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have to agree with Ayeaux, those Cree 40426 (110 lumens - 3AA's) lanterns are terrific. Nice area light and you can screw the top off making it a floody flashlight.
They also have the Cree 40450, same thing but 185 lumens and 4AA's.

The 40426 has been AMAZING in terms of usable output and lifespan of battery out here in the Northeast.
For those familiar with the 40450, how has your battery lifespan been respectively

Akilae

Newly Enlightened
No hard budget really, but let's say less than $50 if at all possible.

The CREE lanterns look suspiciously similar to the Favourlights...

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Ok, I'm gonna take this in another direction, because I don't know much about lanterns, and because I can't keep my mouth shut. :grin2:
And since it's inside. you can just point them at the wall, ceiling, whatever. Or, make your own lampshade out of a anything with #2 plastic...

For $24.95 at shiningbeam's site you can pick up a:

Olight I2 EOS single AA keychain light
* 3-mode: Low (2.5 lumens), Medium (20 lumens), High (75 Lumens)
* Runtime: 60 hours on low, 5 hours
on medium, and 90 minutes on high

not the best runtimes, but I like it for the price and size, and you can use it as a keychain light.

....and I don't own one of these, but it's really caught my eye:
for $14.95 there is the "L3 Illumination L10"
(0.09lumens 147hours) -> Low (3 lumens, 30hrs ) -> Medium (60 lumens) --> High (120 lumens, 1.5hrs)

And last but not least, the Thrunite T10 ($30) that comes with a free TI ($16)
(115 lumen, 1.5hrs) -> Low (9 lumen, 39hrs ) -> firefly(0.09lumen 147hours)

Akilae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendation guys! In true CPF fashion, I decided to:

-Buy a 40426 lantern (actually surprised at how small it is!) to keep around. Lots of people seems to have gotten plenty of mileage out of their lanterns in the blackout. Plus, the warm yellow tint works well psychologically.
-Buy a Fenix LD10 + ana... I mean, diffuser tip. Forgot which thread I read this, but the LD10 seems to run well on Eneloops, alkies, whatever you shove into the flashlight. Compared to Zebralights which are a tad more finicky.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious. Are there any LED lantern that takes 18650 Li-ion?

Yes, if you stand your 18650-using flashlight in a glass of water on Medium. 18650s and camp-lanterns are both specialty products with little overlap. I haven't seen many. Lots of 4-cell lanterns "could" run on Li-Ions.

flame2000

Enlightened
Yes, if you stand your 18650-using flashlight in a glass of water on Medium. 18650s and camp-lanterns are both specialty products with little overlap. I haven't seen many. Lots of 4-cell lanterns "could" run on Li-Ions.

I guess manufacturers probably thought that lanterns are for emergency uses and they are better run with off the shelves primary batteries (AA, AAA, C, D). :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Black Diamond Apollo Lantern that might be worth looking into - it's considered to be very good in its class, but I also prefer my EDC flashlight with a DIY wallet diffuser... it's on me 24/7, and is also more efficient with higher highs and lower lows.

I've learned to leave the illumination to the flashlight companies.

Going on day 4 without power, got bored and took a David vs Goliath pix of my camping lanterns. Despite one having 4x the batteries, both lights run will this level of illumination (low) for ~ 50 hrs, although I'm sure the regulation is better on the Quark. I suspect the Apollo must do better at higher lumen levels, but I'm a low lumen/night vision freak and actually use moonlight most of the time. On a headband, or my EDC "neckband," I find it perfect for reading and simple tasks. Needless to say, haven't even used half a 14500 yet.

8147928241_c63b5b3b3b.jpg

chefwong

Newly Enlightened
My Cree 40450 just arrived. Build quality seems a BIT better than the smaller Cree Lantern I have. Battery Cover, etc - all feels and fits a bit more ~finished~. Is it just me

Tinkerer54

Newly Enlightened
The best lanterns I have are "Energizer Weather Ready Folding Area Lanterns" that take "D" cell batteries. Fluorescent lanterns really light up a room. Get some dry cells for it...or have your GF recharge the rechargeables off her car's cigarette lighter (but hide the charger or her window might get broken.) They claim to run 135 hours off a set of "D" cells.

Just this April, Energizer introduced a superior replacement to this lantern the "Energizer LED Folding 360 Area Lantern with Light Fusion Technology". It now uses either 4 or 8 AA cells (more life with the 8), and puts out 300 lumens, up from 96 lumens of this model, and has completely variable light levels. The LEDs are embedded in the edges of a large diffuser panel. Energizer rates battery life at 100 hours, but they seem to wiggle on what light level this is rated at. I bought one, and with it sitting on a coffee table, you can easily read a book 6 ft away, and entirely lights up my large den. Brightest indoor area light I've seen so far., Not as bright as the old fuel based Coleman lanterns; but the fumes prevent those from safely being used indoors. Amazon.com has then at$29.99 with free shipping.

ajl

Newly Enlightened
"Energizer LED Folding 360 Area Lantern with Light Fusion Technology" on sale this week at Target stores for $24.99.