laser weapons

trident

Newly Enlightened
hey guys, check this out:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6473144/

Do you know of anything comparable that I can buy? I'm not looking for a "basketball sized beam", but I would like something that could, say, blast a hole in material from up to a mile away. (assuming I had all the permits needed.)

loalight

Enlightened
I recently decided not to buy a 150W Nd:Yag (despite its $300 pricetag), which comes out to about 75W if you decide to double it up to 532nm. Either way it would pack a punch at some distance when properly aligned.

As it turned out, not enough room for the beast, so I passed. Such things can be found, although they typically costs thousands, not hundreds.

drpepper1024

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure you cant get a permitt for something that powerful. Also the title of this topic is a pretty questionable, you may want to be careful what you say.

Raccoon

Enlightened
If you had an ND:YAG that produced 150mW, I assure you it would not produce 75mW "doubled up" to 532nm with a KTP crystal. There is a ~10% effeciency, so you might have gotten 15~20mW if you're lucky.

Though, I'm not entirely sure how much effeciency is lost on the ND vs the KTP, but I'm sure the KTP doesn't turn 100% of 1064nm into 532nm.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
senecaripple, if you use the "reply" button instead of the quick-reply box at the bottom of each page you can insert URLs and give them a name that is displayed instead the sometimes too long URL.

And yepp, dangerous topic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... carry on carefully . ..

bernhard

Wolf

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
trident said:
hey guys, check this out:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6473144/
Do you know of anything comparable that I can buy? I'm not looking for a "basketball sized beam", but I would like something that could, say, blast a hole in material from up to a mile away. (assuming I had all the permits needed.)

[/ QUOTE ]
from your link >"It showed they work," Kenneth Englade, an agency spokesman, said of the laser's six identical, pickup-truck-sized, modules linked to fire as a single unit. "The rest is fine-tuning."
most lasers of any power to "cut" something over any distance (ie more then a few feet) is probably going to be very large and have some crazy power requrements (at least from what I know)

Raccoon

Enlightened
You're not going to buy 150 Watts of anything with $300 dollars. Light bulbs MAYBE.

loalight

Enlightened
Erm, Raccoon, I appreciate your skepticisim, I really do, but credit me with a bit of knowledge and an abilit to count zeros. I dunno why I'm doing this but I don't want to be seen as telling tall tales:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:14:40 -0800 (PST)
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Laser head - $300 (san jose south)

The supply I have is 220v-3phase but you can use any arclamp supply. You can buy these on ebay that even run on 110v.The other pics are at home. I do have an AVI file of burning hole in some wood. I put holes in stainless, brick, rock,titanium, fire brick and dirt clods.It turn most things into glass. I figured about 6000 degrees F. So the laser head is 300.00 and I give you everything else I have. Laser head, Di water pump, power supply,trigger transformer, trigger circut,heat exchange, LBO crystal holder and of coarse the LBO doubler crystal. I bought the laser from long beach memorial center in L.A.when they went out of business. This is alot of good parts for making a large laser project

I have the AVI file, I went and saw the unit. Granted you are never going to purchase such a thing on CPF for $300 - but CPF aint the only source of lasers on this big wide world.

don't bother searching for it- it seems to have been sold. and not to me, thank goodness. I only post this to show that such things can be found for very low prices.

..'nuff said, really!

Raccoon

Enlightened
Thank you loalight for the FYI. I'm glad you appreciate my skepticisim, but I have no idea why you're being so defensive. I would hardly describe CPF as a place to "buy lasers", but I do know that any ND:YAG with the optical density to handle 150 WATTS of photonic energy, alone, would cost upwards of a grand. That's not including the 808 source.

It ain't easy makin green.

And all for the low low price of a 150 MILLI-watt laser?! Watt for watt, you could have turned around and sold it for 1000 TIMES more. A $300,000 laser for $300? Your friend is nuts. (Granted, it's not worth $300K, but still).

loalight

Enlightened
I dunno about 1000x.. but yeah, i could have flipped it for a bit. point is, medical salvage lasers of all types are cheap. here's a 60W Nd:Yag on ebay with 24 hrs left and no bids for $399: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31469&item=7503680840&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW. There are others. Certainly it cost $30,000-$60,000 new, but there it sits. Laserscope and others made scads of 150W units in the early plastic surgery boom of the 90s. Most of them are still out there, and if you are in the right place at the right time they can often be had for the price of hauling.

Wolf

Newly Enlightened
even at 150watts of YAG laser, I dont think you could even light a match head at a mile away (let alone cut "material" like the original post said)

Iron_Man

Newly Enlightened
On the ebay laser, what is the gas for on the back of the unit? About this FDA stuff, is that just CYA, or can joe blow buy it?

Les

loalight

Enlightened
dunno what that is.. possibly a bottle of inert gas to surround the fiber aperture to help prevent unexpected flames.. dunno.

The FDA stuff is real. You should know what you are doing before owning one- they are lethal or maiming in about 10 different ways. I would hope that sellers would perform due dilligence on their buyers- but the fact is, they often do not.

Wolf: yeah, you are likely right. the medical units are generally very poorly collimated, as they generally output directly into fiber. Up close though.. slag.

Latest posts