Latest alkaleak

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest, a CO detector with OEM Kidde AA cells, Gold Peak branded, made in China. Several years old. It beeped, so I investigated. Luckily, the goo was all at the bottom of the case and the battery contacts here are just a crossover bar to make the 2 cells into a series, so the circuit contacts were safe at the top. It's a reminder that alkalines have the cap and seals at the negative end.
kidde-AA-leak.JPG

Last edited:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteries replaced with Kirkland (Costco), now confirmed to be made by Duracell. They leak, too, but that's all I have! Detector appears to be working normally.

I can see that leaking is not necessarily a sign of voltage drop. The goo had some time to dry and leave crystals inside the plastic, more than shown.

Broadcast_Eng

Newly Enlightened
Costco's Kirkland AAs and AAAs were acknowledged by Consumer Reports to be made by Duracell since at least twenty years ago. CU's objective testing found nearly identical performance. Unfortunately, that 'identical performance' now appears to include Duracell's proclivity for leaking.
'Procells,' now apparently sourced exclusively from China, seem to leak as badly or possibly worse than consumer Duracells. I find it amazing that Berkshire Hathaway is willing to so casually squander a once-reputable brand.
I've switched almost exclusively to Eneloops, rebadged Eneloops from Ikea and Energizer Ultimates.
For the very few devices still powered by alkaline cells, I've switched to Panasonic Platinums sourced from Amazon. So far I've received good performance from them with no leaks.

Hopefully just when smoke is detected!

Can you expand on the "designed to keep beeping" remark? Examples? Owner's manuals?
The Kidde brand to which I am referring makes "countless" different models of smoke and combo detectors. As such, I have not kept up with all the models at the apartment complex where I am a maintenance technician. They change their models all the time, and we have over 1000 detectors of various ages (but not 1000 different models, of course) throughout the property so I cannot give examples. It is my understanding, or at least my inference based on experience, that to ensure that not only the dying batteries but also the detectors themselves are replaced periodically, they have designed some models to ignore the fact that the dying batteries have been replaced and to keep beeping which forces you to replace the whole detector. Some models even have built-in lithium-ion batteries that cannot be removed thus requiring that the entire detector be replaced if it determines that the battery is failing. I hope that this is of help to you.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
CO detectors will keep beeping if the internal detector is past it's useful life. I believe that's in the 5-10 year range depending on the type of detector. They have to do this so the user won't be lulled into a false sense of security if the detection mechanism stops working. The two most popular types of sensors are electrochemical and semiconductor. Both of these have finite lifetimes.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I ran across an old battery pack today that still had some AAAs in it. These have been sitting for many years, and I was dreading what I was going to see when I opened it up. To my surprise, these old Ray-O-Vacs with a 2016 date code showed no signs of leaking. German engineering FTW.

RayOVac_AAA_alkaline.jpg