My Latest Alkaleak

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I'd gotten most things changed to Eneloops, but forgot about this one in the digital clock/X-10 controller.

Attachments

• IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 145

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks about right. Had one ruin another flashlight a couple months ago. I'm pretty much done with them, even if they pretend they're starting to make them better now.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe virtually every item I ever used alklines in has had a leak.

I find that plain running water and toothbrush dissolves the alkali crust fine, but the problem is the corrosion left behind. Any metal plating is gone, along with pitting. I will use a little sandpaper on the metal and apply Deoxit, but it'll never look the same again. You just hope there isn't deep damage.

Once I had a leak in an AAA Fenix, and I left the tube with stuck battery in a tub of water. The next day, the alkali had removed a good portion of the color anodize.

Not sure if I've posted this, but here's an EagTac Ti D25A from a friend in 2021;

Attachments

• IMG_9798.JPG
    IMG_9798.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 102
I believe virtually every item I ever used alklines in has had a leak.

I find that plain running water and toothbrush dissolves the alkali crust fine, but the problem is the corrosion left behind. Any metal plating is gone, along with pitting. I will use a little sandpaper on the metal and apply Deoxit, but it'll never look the same again. You just hope there isn't deep damage.

Once I had a leak in an AAA Fenix, and I left the tube with stuck battery in a tub of water. The next day, the alkali had removed a good portion of the color anodize.

Not sure if I've posted this, but here's an EagTac Ti D25A from a friend in 2021;
Ohhh... that's just painful to look at. (Averts eyes...) 👀

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
But wait! Today's entry in the Hall of Alkaleak Shame!
I keep a few batteries in the daybag -emergency, giveaways, CR123, AA and AAA alkalines I'd forgotten about. I double bag them in 4mil new zip bags, and the AAAs were stewing in their juices. Dec 2025 expiration dates, bought at retail in the corner drugstore.

And I've been pretty adament about replacing alkalines with Eneloops, but these are meant to be given away.

Attachments

• IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    402 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0725.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts