Laws regarding reversing lights?

iroc409

Newly Enlightened
About the ICS? Yes, I'm being serious. I would expect automakers wouldn't attempt to use green for that reason. (Think about it for a moment. Would they use red? Or blue? Why, or why not? 50 points. Spelling counts.)

I'm also being serious that maybe people might try to remember better where they parked. It may be a little more difficult at the county fairgrounds, but at the mall most of the parking lots have numbered regions. Or maybe they could remember they walked in through the Sears or something.

I doubt there's anything on the books to charge someone with "impersonating an IC", and most people (including auto manufacturers) probably don't know about the ICP light. I didn't until just recently, and I've been on an emergency response team for two years (didn't learn until our IC finally added a green light to his rig a couple months ago).

It's a valid point, I just really doubt that would come into the decision factor. I don't think I've noticed even local emergency response using it. Nobody in an emergency is going to think your Corolla is the ICP--but it's helpful to tell apart a bunch of command rigs that look similar on scene.

I do agree it's silly people need something to find their car. I've done fine without for many years. You have to be in relative proximity for lights & buzzers to really work anyway. :)

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I *KNEW* that would happen! (The ICP thing)

I keep my Corolla in such good shape (well, my wife leaves a mess in the interior) that it *could* be mistaken for one if I put my green lights back in it. I had 'em in my older car pre-FEMA and pre-ICS, and then just carried one in the Corolla for a while.

They came in handy near Mesquite, NV when I spotted a semi going down the road with cabling hanging down that was sparking like crazy and looked like it was about to catch on fire.

Have you been to that new ICP-themed chicken in hot sauce restaurant? It's called "Juggalo Wild Wings".

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
What did you do?

The truck had barreled past me doing maybe 90, and it wasn't until it was somewhat ahead of me that I saw the sparking. I stepped on the gas, and learned how embarrassingly non-fast the Corolla is. Seems like it took MILES to catch up.

I s'pose I either impersonated the Incident Commander, or a security guard. Flashing high-beams weren't working, finally I pulled out the dashlight (which my passenger had to hold up on the dashboard). That's when the trucker finally stopped. "What agency are YOU with? I never saw green lights before" "None of them, I just thought your trailer was going to catch on fire."

Turns out it was coiled springs for hose management or whatnot that had come unhooked from one end and were dragging on the road surface. Sure looked worse than it was (but perhaps over time it would have become worse than it was).