Leaked battery, damaged flashlight and battery manufacturer warranty procedures

wipeout

Newly Enlightened
Based on my experience Duracell has the best response for a leaked battery, Energizer by far the worst.

Krotchitty

Newly Enlightened
Mag is sending me a brand new light, should be here the first week of Oct.

did Mag batteries ruin it? because it might be noted that the general procedure is to contact the people who made the Defective product, or product that caused the problem, then send it in.
it used to be on the product labeling, that if thier battery CAUSED the problem that they would repair or replace, they sort of dont put that on the labels as often as they used to for some reason .

liteheaded

Newly Enlightened
I had Duracells in a heavy multi LED light that I used maybe every couple of weeks. I alternated it with my other lights including a terrific rechargeable tactical light.

Because I'm used to incan dimming, I missed the point where the LEDs had drained the batteries to the danger point. I have not seen batteries damage a flashlight in decades. The batteries leaked all over even coming out the front of seemingly sealed flashlight.

To their credit, after I sent in the batteries and the flashlight, Duracell did send me a check.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contact information for leaking battery damage:
DURACELLhttp://www.duracell.com/en-US/battery-care-disposal.jspx
DURACELL® BATTERY GUARANTEE
If you're not completely satisfied with a Duracell® product, contact us.
All of our batteries are guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship. Should any device be damaged by these batteries due to such defects, we will either repair or replace it if it is sent with the batteries. Send with postage prepaid to:
Duracell
Berkshire Corporate Park
Bethel, CT 06801
Att: Consumer Dept.
Phone: 1-800-551-2355

ENERGIZERhttp://www.energizer.com/products/alkaline-batteries/faq/Pages/faq.aspx
The Energizer®/Eveready® guarantee typically states: "We will repair or replace, at our option, any device damaged by these Energizer® batteries. Guarantee void if batteries are charged by user or device." Contact 1-800-383-7323. This guarantee may vary globally, so please check with your local Energizer office for details.
RAYOVAChttp://www.rayovac.com/consumer/warranty.htm
General Battery Guarantee
Guarantee on all batteries*. We will replace or repair at our option, any device damaged by this battery if sent with batteries prepaid to the address below.
Spectrum Brands, Inc.
ATTN: Rayovac Consumer Services
601 Rayovac Drive
Madison, WI 53711

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
The DURACELL AAA battery that came supplied with my Olight I3 AAA leaked. I drilled the battery, inserted a screw for grip, and was able to extract the battery from the flashlight. The battery had corrosion on the negative terminal and had corroded the flashlight spring and surrounding area.

I did a search and came across this thread. I contacted DURACELL at (800) 551-2355 as did the OP. I spoke with Lorie who was very helpful. After the similiar series of questions, Lorie said she would mail me a check to replace the Olight I3 AAA and coupons for more DURACELL batteries. I will not have to mail my damaged flashlight and defective battery to DURACELL.

Thanks to the OP and others for the information and help.

jinya1004

Newly Enlightened
Thank to all who have contributed to this thread.

I have a PT EOS that stopped working because of leaked Duracells.

I called Duracell as instructed, they asked me similar questions. Nice lady stated I would get a amex card and a coupon for replacement batteries.

Duracell did an EXCELLENT job with taking care of customers. As much as I hear bad things about alkalines, I've only had two issues thus far.

Once in my 3D maglite that had to be thrown away and this time with my PT EOS.

mojo-chan

Newly Enlightened
Interestingly neither Duracell or Energizer seem to offer any kind of warranty in the UK. Their web sites say nothing about warranties.

Wirrimanu

Newly Enlightened
Leaking Duracell damaged by Sony Voice Recorder

Interestingly neither Duracell or Energizer seem to offer any kind of warranty in the UK. Their web sites say nothing about warranties.

Maybe Americans get a better deal, but in Australia my Duracell AAA Alkaline batteries leaked and ruined by Sony Voice Recorder. Proctor and Gamble (Duracell) wanted nothing to do with me despite receiving photos of the batteries and device.

I will to the end of my days bad mouth Duracell and Proctor and Gamble.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Leaking Duracell damaged by Sony Voice Recorder

I went down to the drug store Sunday night and got some change out of center console, before going in. When I came out, I put the change back in and noticed that my 2xAA MiniMag was on inside its holster. It's got the NiteEyz 3 LED doohickey and clicky tail cap, but I thought that was weird, since I didn't knock anything around.

I get the light out of the holster and click the clicky and nothing happened. I tried a few more times and no dice. I ended up unscrewing the tail cap and the light stayed on! I removed the rear AA (CVS drug store's BTW!) and the light still stayed on. I could see some leakage, but it was the funniest thing. The first battery was creating a circuit with the leaking gunk and thus the light wouldn't turn off.

I had to pound the bad battery out against a block of wood, but I got and once I found the little negative contact piece and re-installed it, the light began working again. I still need to sand some of the corrosion down, but we'll see when I get to it.

Chris