Leatherman Supertool 300!

znaps

Newly Enlightened
I carried an original LM Supertool for 9 years, it worked well until...
The Charge Ti showed up and I deemed it worthy to buy. 5 years and optional bit kits and bit driver extension later, I don't cry for the Supertool.

That's you, me and at least 2 more posting I have spotted around here (but don't remember when or where, exactly) who each carried an original Super Tool 9 years and then went on to a Charge. Could there be something to this? :huh: :devil: :eek:oo:

o0o

Enlightened
That's you, me and at least 2 more posting I have spotted around here (but don't remember when or where, exactly) who each carried an original Super Tool 9 years and then went on to a Charge. Could there be something to this? :huh: :devil: :eek:oo:

I carried a Super Tool 200, and have switched to the Surge and Charge mostly...

Not quite the same as you all, but close.

znaps

Newly Enlightened
I certainly will probably get a Super Tool 300 to add to my collection, but I'm legitimately curious as to what its advantages will be.

Here's the kneeslapper; I applaud the Super Tool 300, think it's valid upgrade of a classic line, but certainly will probably won't be getting one :grin2:. When I need a multitool of that type, my Core does fine.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought the Supertool back in the day because it had locking blades. When the Wave came out, I liked the locks on it better and the knives were easier to pull out but I wanted more. The Charge Ti came out the first of August, 2004 and I ordered one that morning. Hard to believe it has been five years but I am content. Heck, I have been carrying my D10 Q5 for over a year now...but I am not that content yet. XP-G anyone?

o0o

Enlightened
Mine came in today from Amazon. The main advantage of the Multi-tool 300 is massive pliers, they appear much stronger than any other model.

Other than this, it really isn't anything to write home about.

I like it for its strength, and may pick up a backup.

However, it is no where near as versatile, handy, and useful as a Charge.

fyrstormer

Banned
Sweet! Replaceable/serviceable cutters -awesome! I'll probably wait until I find it at a really good price, but I'll be buying one. I've always liked the original Supertool and the Core is my favorite of the current models.
Took 'em long enough. My Gerber Legend 800 from 2002 has them.

Where is the bit driver? That is infinitely more useful than any combination of flats and crossheads, except as noted above regarding prybar use -- which really should just be one super-hard slab of steel with no pretense of being a screwdriver at all.

I like my Crunch. It doesn't have the precision of the newer tools, but it has a bit driver and locking pliers, which are far more useful than you might expect on a small tool because of how hard it can be to apply clamping pressure and torque simultaneously using small pliers.

Last edited:

r0b

Newly Enlightened
Ok, not that I am a totally in Love with my Super Tool 200, but some things have to be made clear here:

1. No scissors:
As already said, get over it, nothing ruff you cant really do with the knives. It's the Super Tool!

2. Inside Tools:
C'mon, it doesnt really take time to get them out. In return you have the closed smooth grips when using any other tool. Quite nice I think. Plus since they added the rounded grips on the 200, also no pain in the hand when using the pliers. Even better: Tools dont get dusty/dirty inside.

3.Bit driver:
I think you can get one for the ST also. Plus I wouldnt have it with me anyway when I need it. Which kind of brings me to my last point:

davidt1 said:
I am boycotting leatherman. Most of their tools have 3 flat head and only one philips head. This is just dumb. Philips head screws are used for more often than flat head screws.

Don't judge if you have not owned and used one!

The single Phillips Screwdriver is honestly THE best phillips screwdriver I know in terms of fitting a heck of a lot of phillips screws.
Should the very rare case occur that it doesnt fit, you use one of the flatheads! The small flathead is perfect for them small thingys, whatever it is. The medium one, granted not used too often. The big one is the BIG one. You use it to pry something open. Or to open that huge Phillips head (For which you would not have a driver either, if there were more?. And it IS just a big clunk of steel ;)
Imagine having more Phillips in there: A small Phillips is no where near the versatility of the small flat that is in the Super Tool. There's more uses to that than just "unscrewing small flat head screws". Use your imagination!

Ok, as you may have noticed, I lied. I am in love with my Super Tool. I have to admit though, I am not as deep in Love with my Super Tool 200 as with my original Super tool. The build quality on my personal ST 200 (dont know about the rest) is [edit] not really high. I abused the super tool I bought when I was 10 for seven long years, including puberty. I learned what it can and can not do. But this thing is still in WAY better shape than the ST 200 I own at the moment.
I just yesterday wrote an email to the Service about it, and I kind of expect them to swap it for a new ST300 for me. If that would happen, I would be super happy. Let's see how well they will treat me. But American companies are usually really cool about stuff like that. As I told the too, I bought the ST 200 because the ST had convinced me. The ST 200 in terms of quality shocked, admitted, but I will give them the chance to make it right.

Greets rob

Last edited:

znaps

Newly Enlightened
Ok, as you may have noticed, I lied. I am in love with my Super Tool. I have to admit though, I am not as deep in Love with my Super Tool 200 as with my original Super tool. The build quality on my personal ST 200 (dont know about the rest) is basically non-existent. I abused the super tool I bought when I was 10 for seven long years, including puberty. I learned what it can and can not do. But this thing is still in WAY better shape than the ST 200 I own at the moment.
I just yesterday wrote an email to the Service about it, and I kind of expect them to swap it for a new ST300 for me. If that would happen, I would be super happy. Let's see how well they will treat me. But American companies are usually really cool about stuff like that. As I told the too, I bought the ST 200 because the ST had convinced me. The ST 200 in terms of quality shocked, admitted, but I will give them the chance to make it right.

Greets rob

Although I carried and used an original Super Tool for many years, I have only a brief experience with a ST 200. What differences have you found between them? They look and feel the same to me.

r0b

Newly Enlightened
Well there's the unlocking feature on it, which you will have to get used to. But once you have it figured out, it works quite well.
Put a leatherman into someones hand, usually they don't get how to close it again. Same thing with the unlocking levers, I guess that's so because they require quite some force to be pulled.

Second thing is that they rounded the grips inside edges, which is really really nice, because now you can put a lot of force on the pliers without the grips "cutting" into your hands, as it was on the Super Tool.

Due to those two changes the whole grip is maybe 2-3 mm wider, which gives it a "heavier" look and feel, a fact I personally enjoy.

In the end they are pretty much the same, except for unlocking and rounded grips.

Oh, and one thing that they should have left as it is: They rounded the tip of the cerrated Knife, "oh yeah, thanks for the added security!" I'm not a child!

Not a real dealbreaker or anything that really matters, just doesnt look as cool as a sharp tip ;)

greets r0b

P.S.: Was a little too harsh on the post above, thats what I edited.

P.P.S.: Check http://leathermanlibrary.com/ for Pics of past and present models. You will see that you will not see many differences.

ST 200 vs ST

sadtimes

Enlightened
I used to think that multi-tools were stupid and said I never wanted to be the guy who had one on his belt...

Now I refuse to leave home without my Surge.... I absolutely love it.. I caved in and bought it to carry on my duty belt at work, since then, it may not be on my belt but it isnt very far away from me...

Literally I sometimes wonder how I did without it before... Before I leave the house I make sure that I have a few things, it is now one of those things...

And as far as the screwdrivers go, mine has one permanet flat blade, and 2 that you can pull out and turn around for which ever blade you require... very nifty... one of which is very small, small enough that I used it to dig a dirt dobber out of the cooling line on my outboard while floating on the lake... just another story to add to the long list of reasons that it is in the "cant leave home without it" pile...

znaps

Newly Enlightened
Well there's the unlocking feature on it, which you will have to get used to. But once you have it figured out, it works quite well.
Put a leatherman into someones hand, usually they don't get how to close it again. Same thing with the unlocking levers, I guess that's so because they require quite some force to be pulled.

Second thing is that they rounded the grips inside edges, which is really really nice, because now you can put a lot of force on the pliers without the grips "cutting" into your hands, as it was on the Super Tool.

Due to those two changes the whole grip is maybe 2-3 mm wider, which gives it a "heavier" look and feel, a fact I personally enjoy.

In the end they are pretty much the same, except for unlocking and rounded grips.

Oh, and one thing that they should have left as it is: They rounded the tip of the cerrated Knife, "oh yeah, thanks for the added security!" I'm not a child!

Not a real dealbreaker or anything that really matters, just doesnt look as cool as a sharp tip ;)

greets r0b

P.S.: Was a little too harsh on the post above, thats what I edited.

P.P.S.: Check http://leathermanlibrary.com/ for Pics of past and present models. You will see that you will not see many differences.

ST 200 vs ST

Probably I wasn't clear. Those differences between them you describe I was already familiar with, having owned both. What I meant to ask was about ST200 quality, which you described as "shocking." I didn't have my ST200 long enough to really wring it out, but it seemed to be built pretty much same as the original. Bad steel? Sloppy workmanship? Something else? :confused: Btw, I agree with you re the serrated blade sheepfooted in the ST200. I believe Leatherman got it right with the original tool set.

r0b

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

ok, I'll go into more detail here. I honestly hope that this is just my one tool, because the old one was superb. I really don't want my post to be quoted by some anti leatherman group or whatnot.

"Shocking" is probably a big word for what I am talking about, although it does fit.

The main concern first:
The pliers joint, i.e. the point where the two halves of the pliers are joint (duh). On my ST there was virtually no play in there when it was new. Over six years of use did get it sort of wiggly. On the ST200 there's so much play in the joint that when closed, I can move the two grips about 6-7mm relative to each other up and down. picture: I lay the ST 200 on a table with the two grips touching the table. Now I can take one of the grips and pull its end up about 6-7 mm, while the other one rests on the table.
This of course translates into the wire cutter also! Quite some sideways play in those too.
The play on the old ST is about half of that.

second:
Phillips screwdriver axis.
The axis of the Phillips head is not parallel to the axis of the grips. Works, but annoying! and it just doesn't seem right for such a tool. Bad QC, or bigger margins for error. When you turn a screw the head doesn't sit square on the screw's head and it "wobbles" around. I guess you get what I mean.
Again, on the old ST, both axis perfectly parallel.

Those are basically the things that led me to my statement, where the joint-issue really sucks and cuts into the wire cutters performance, and the Phillips-axis-issue is "merely" annoying and adds to an overall less-satisfied feeling.

I think there are some really minor things, which I can't come up with right, but which added to the already stated "less-satisfied" feeling. I chose this description carefully, trying to convey that, whilst I am not as "mega-happy" with my ST 200 as with the old one (Quality-wise), it still does it's job really well and fulfills its duty to my satisfaction. I really do have it with me all the time. I've got a pair of shorts with no belt thingys. They suck! I don't put my Leatherman on when I leave the house; I put it on with my pants in the morning.

Greets r0b

P.S.: Emailed german leatherman service 10 days ago. Didn't get an answer yet!
Starting to think I should give it some time anyways, since I would rather like them to send me an ST 300 instead some "retired" ST200 they still have in stock (should they decide to send me a new one)

Last edited:

LEDLynx

Newly Enlightened
I, too, am engaged in a one-man boycott of Leatherman. (Err, maybe it's two now? Do we need a manifesto?) Mostly because of their flat-out refusal to consider the needs of their left-handed customers (and not particularly nice refusal at that - their e-mail really ticked me off).

They also refuse to customize tools, or allow for user-serviceability.* That's fine until you realize that you're deployed overseas, or you need to have a multi-tool at work, and sending it in for a month-long service is not going to fly.

The final nail in the coffin though, was when I was using one of the external blades on my original-style Wave and the liner-lock bent, allowing the blade to close on my hand. I'm just happy it wasn't a sharp one.

That's it for Leatherman. I'm trying to decide which SOG tool fits my needs best. I'm already looking forward to compound-leverage pliers and interchangeable tools!

P.S. I actually preferred the rounded-tip on the serrated blade, it made it useful as a rescue-knife. Of course, SOG has the V-cutter, so Leatherman is still fired.

*On the Wave, they use a 5-pointed torx security-bit. Try finding one of those overseas in a pinch. Don't bother asking the motor-pool, they won't have one.

Superdave

Enlightened
After breaking 2 Skeletools in the last year i ordered a Supertool 300 tonight.. I just hope it's built better than the Skeletool. :shakehead

I wanted the black oxide version but the reality of my dark work environment and occasional outdoor nighttime use struck me and i went with the stainless. :)