Leatherman Wave, CHIPPED!!!

Gaffle

Enlightened
I still have not sent it in. I will miss the little guy while he is gone!

I went salmon fishing 4 weeks ago, and I must of had some slight brain trauma because I forgot some key components to my gear bag. One of the components was my Wave. My father-in-law was up north when we got there and I told him I forgot my Wave. His exact quote, "Now THAT I find hard to believe."

Dantor

Enlightened
Send it in yet? I'm looking at getting the wave, but after reading this :confused:
Simple/light prying shouldn't break a quality tool.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Send it in yet? I'm looking at getting the wave, but after reading this :confused:
Simple/light prying shouldn't break a quality tool.

The OP stated that it was the Wave Version 01 which has now been discontinued & is unavailable NIB.

It has most probably had a good life & seen a lot of use, which can allow parts to break because of metal fatigue.

The Waves that you can buy now are version 02 with different tools than Version 01.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

I had a wave from a friend that gave me his as a present. It had a chipped screw driver. I brought it to a Leatherman service center nearby and they sent it for repair. It came back, polished and fixed, free of charge. They did mention it was not really a guarantee issue.. as they suspected wrong use. Anyways my experience: GREAT SERVICE from Leatherman! :thumbsup:

Maurice

The same happened with one of my work mates. He snapped half his Knife blade
off, sent it in for repair, they replaced the blade and lubed the tool free of charge. It made me go out and buy one, I've now got the Surge

jcs71

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a Wave model, yet. I can attest to Leatherman's customer service though. I had an original PST that had a broken phillips head on it for about 5-7 years. I finally sent it in to them for warranty work and when I got my package back I found some very nice inside. They sent a note stating that since they couldn't replace the phillips on my PST, they instead sent me a brand new Blast model. Wow! Now that was great customer service.

PSx

Newly Enlightened
Incredible! Unbelievable!! I broke my mini double-ended bit several months ago whilst trying to prize off the back of a watch. I have recently been trying to buy a replacement and came across this thread, so visited leatherman.co.uk, rang the number, told them what I had done... and they are posting a replacement to me! No charge. No proof of ownership. No hassle!

I don't come across that level of service very often.

Thanks guys.

Ged.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its justa simple matter of having the right ool for the job, thats all...would you butter your toast with a spoon? Its possible but not an easy as with a butter knife, know what I mean?

I just had to comment on this. Not disputing your original point, but some of us have been forced to get this down to an art - buttering toast with a teaspoon, that is!! :D

Ahh, interesting things have befallen some of us :D

o0o

Enlightened
Over at EDC forums.com, there are all kinds of threads about people breaking their Leathermans Lots of pix of the plier nose being snapped off.

My question: How common is this? Like is it 1 break in 100,000, or 1 break in 10,000

Anyone have a hunch?

Next question: Those of you that have broken a Leatherman, was it from normal use or pushing it too hard?

For example, can I expect to break my larger Leatherman's (Core, Supertool 200, Wave,Surge, or Charge) by simply tighteing something with a low amount of torque?

It was also posted on edcforums that Leatherman confirmed using investment castings. I'm not shocked by this because the metal looks very similar to the metal on my Ruger revolver which is also uses investment casting.

The problem with investment casting, if I understand correctly, is that it is a little weaker than more expensive metal processes?

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen photos of some people who snapped the Leatherman Core and Charge pliers. Something to do with the cast metal of the jaws.

jcs71

Newly Enlightened
The only time I broke anything was the phillips head on the original Leatherman and that was beacause I was trying to undo a screw on a rusty engine and torqued it to much. Leatherman replaced it with a Blast model free of charge.

I am willing to bet the only reason you see alot of threads of broken Leathermans is because people tend to post more problems with their tools then they post good comments. If you ever did have a problem, Leatherman will take care of you. They have a 25 year warranty.

Every company can have a bad batch but I wouldn't let those threads worry you. Besides, there are some people, not alot of people, out there who really don't like Leatherman and can't wait to post a problem with one just to try and make them look bad for personal reasons.

I currently have three and looking at getting a fourth one and haven't had anymore problems other than the original phillips that I broke. I have a Micra, Blast and a Supertool. I am thinking of getting a Core or a Wave, can't decide.

andyw513

Enlightened
This is weird...I've been looking for the proper thread to put this in ever since I joined. I'd had my Wave for almost two years when this happened, so I was already used to it, and didn't want to bother with repair/replacement.

But i was working on making a camp stove out of a coffee can, and as I pried back and put too much of a strain on the pliers, the tip snapped off. At the time, I didn't mind that, because I regularly used needle-nosed pliers for intricate work, so i turned the pliers around and when i pried back again, the other side snapped off, slightly higher than the other.
100_0980.jpg

100_0981.jpg

100_0987.jpg

I still used my Wave this way, even to this day, as a matter of fact. And the way it chipped made it perfect for shaping thin metal and putting angles in it!

Last edited:

znaps

Newly Enlightened
My new Wave was run over several times by cars going 40mph before my buddy found it. I left it on a bumper. It's trashed, bent and nothing on the inside will open. It's strickly a knife, saw and file now. I wouldn't dare try and warranty it. I will buy another one at some point but am using my old Victorinox Swisstool for now. Sort of depressing with no one to blame but myself.

Send it to Leatherman, ask if it can be fixed, see how they respond. Maybe things will work out :) .

Last edited:

znaps

Newly Enlightened
The only time I broke anything was the phillips head on the original Leatherman and that was beacause I was trying to undo a screw on a rusty engine and torqued it to much. Leatherman replaced it with a Blast model free of charge.

In 13 years with several Leatherman models in different sizes I have yet to break any of them, although a couple came out of the box with flaws and needed warranty service to make them right. Each time the tools were returned, functioning perfectly, in 10 days or less. Although there have been reports of rust problems, that has never happened to mine in either earlier or current models.

I am willing to bet the only reason you see alot of threads of broken Leathermans is because people tend to post more problems with their tools then they post good comments. If you ever did have a problem, Leatherman will take care of you. They have a 25 year warranty.

Although I don't know which manufacturer sells the most, I would bet a tidy sum that would be Leatherman, which originated the pliers based multitool as we know it. That means an awful lot of them are in circulation. Even if manufacturing glitches occur (inevitable), they may be in no greater percentage than other makes, but sheer numbers would turn up more reports of problematic Leathermen.

Every company can have a bad batch but I wouldn't let those threads worry you. Besides, there are some people, not alot of people, out there who really don't like Leatherman and can't wait to post a problem with one just to try and make them look bad for personal reasons.

AFAIK, the only thing Tim Leatherman ever did to honk off "some people" was to endorse John Kerry for Prez in 2004. Leatherman was one of 40(60?) people in the outdoor/sporting equipment and clothing industry who signed a statement critical of the Bush administration on environmental policies, supporting Kerry as an alternative. There is no document I could find with an internet search that has him weighing in on any other public issue, yet from that time on Leatherman has been the target of a boycott, accused of being anti gun and on the wrong side of many other hotbutton issues. I regard this as wrong, also nuts. Leatherman supported Kerry on one known policy matter, the other guy won anyway, so why the hate? In that election, the country was divided almost 50/50. Isn't it time to move on?

I currently have three and looking at getting a fourth one and haven't had anymore problems other than the original phillips that I broke. I have a Micra, Blast and a Supertool. I am thinking of getting a Core or a Wave, can't decide.

Since the Core is basically an upgraded Super Tool, which you already own, why not go with a Wave (for now:grin2:) so you can experience the joy of OH opening? It could change your life :twothumbs . Then take a look at the Super Tool 300 when it comes out in September. Despite the name, it replaces the Core, may be worth it but not a known quantity as yet.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
Leatherman will do you right. No worries.

I sent in my Charge TTi which I broke with hand pressure attempting to cut some (overly thick) wire. The metal in the handle, immediately behind the jaw, snapped. To cut to the chase, I got a brand new one in the mail yesterday. Leatherman's CS is right there with Surefire, I think.

For those of y'all who don't want the interchangeable bits, take a look at the SuperTool 300.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea leatherman has great cs, last time i send my wave with broken off flat screwdriver, they replaced EVERYTHING on it, the only reason they didn't send me new one cuz mine was engraved.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
considering the amount of returns in this thread alone, I wonder if there's any way to buy a tool from Leatherman at a significant discout of course, that has a small defect? just a thought.

OCD

Enlightened
About a year or so ago, I returned my 1st gen. Wave due to a broken plier tip. I tried prying out an interior door hinge pin that was out about 1/4". I got in a hurry and instead of using a screwdriver to pry it out, I used the plier tip since it was open. :ohgeez: I used it for a long time with one tip broke as I couldn't stand to be without it even though I usually only carry it on the weekends as I EDC a Squirt P4.

Leatherman replaced it with another 1st gen. tool.

I think it may come down to inventory. Once they warranty out all the 1st gen. tools (if they havn't already) they will probably start replacing them with the 2nd generation. Just my thoughts. :shrug:

I give them an A+ for customer service!:twothumbs Everyone I know that uses a multitool uses a Leatherman Wave and has had them replaced (usually due to misuse) various times...no questions asked!

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
The warranty on Leatherman is great . You might consider getting a Gerber artifact ( keychain prybar with a built in exacto blade ) , much as I hate Gerber products , these are great . The exacto feature ( locking ) is very handy . I gave one to a Warehouse Fella , he's taken it thru hell and back , and swears by it .

If you have a pre 2004 Wave , it has a plethora of slot drivers , you could consider grinding the chipped one into an awl/chisel/scribber thingy .

Chris

LEDLynx

Newly Enlightened
I have the old Wave, and I broke about a half-inch off of the plier-tip while trying to free a jammed wing-nut (1/4" threaded rod, or thereabouts, not huge).

Leatherman's customer service fixed (or maybe replaced) the tool, no questions asked.

Since then, I've gotten bitter about their dismissive refusal to make or customize a left-handed tool with one-handed blades. Then, a few weeks ago, the liner-lock of one of my external blades bent, and the blade (not one of the sharp ones, thankfully) closed on my hand.

Between those two factors, I've decided against another Leatherman, and, while I'll be sending this one for repair so that I have a spare, my EDC is probably going to be a SOG from now on.